Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 07:25 AM

43 posts, read 34,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
Wow. I wasn’t aware of these statistics, but these are shocking. It just shows what a problem secondhand gun sales/thefts are. I know reputable gun stores are incredibly strict about background checks, trying to identify obvious straw purchases etc but there’s no way to monitor where the gun goes after the initial sale. Hence why I too will carry and keep firearms in my house
Would you be opposed to guns having serial numbers that are registered to owners? Thinking something similar to vehicles or boats. That way secondhand gun sales/theft can be tracked. I've always felt gun ownership comes with responsibility. A big one is keeping the guns in positive control as well as maintained. Could also help school shooting cases prosecute irresponsible gun-owning parents ala Oxford shooting.

I'm not opposed to gun ownership, lots of valid reasons to own one (hunting, recreational shooting). Also good to have administrative controls over the assets in question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 07:46 AM

300 posts, read 290,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieOnTheMove View Post
Would you be opposed to guns having serial numbers that are registered to owners? Thinking something similar to vehicles or boats. That way secondhand gun sales/theft can be tracked. I've always felt gun ownership comes with responsibility. A big one is keeping the guns in positive control as well as maintained. Could also help school shooting cases prosecute irresponsible gun-owning parents ala Oxford shooting.

I'm not opposed to gun ownership, lots of valid reasons to own one (hunting, recreational shooting). Also good to have administrative controls over the assets in question
They actually do have serial numbers, but the record keeping and tracking thereof is incredibly poor. When you buy a gun, you’ll also be issued a certificate of ownership containing the serial number and other info, but plenty of people just throw this away or lose it.

I really don’t think that secondhand sales, straw purchases, and so on can be realistically prevented, but tougher penalties for gun related felonies would be a good start. Per EDS_ post, the enforcement of something like this would have an almost nonexistent effect on LTC/law abiding people. I think that this would also make criminals think twice about carrying guns. Bloomberg’s stop and frisk policy helped reduce crime, though there are other concerns with that beyond the scope of this discussion.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:05 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Requiring licensure and some form of training to legally possess a firearm would at the very least reduce accidents.

Personally, I think it should be absolutely required (+ background check) before you can even purchase.
Fair enough but the thread's thesis road rage murder.

ETA on second thought the thread did drift towards safety, availability etc.

Last edited by EDS_; 01-14-2022 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-14-2022, 08:47 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
I don't think guns are "bad" per se.

The issue is that guns often rob people of their street smarts and common sense. A 6'4" 265 lb guy with the punching power of George Foreman and the chin of Muhammad Ali bumps into you and makes a slick remark. You could easily walk away and 99/100, would walk away. You have no problem standing up for yourself but also realize that engaging with a man that could almost knock your head off your neck is not really a wise business decision.

Insert gun.

A situation that you'd (smartly) walk away from without a gun.........with a gun you're less afraid. Instead of backing down or making a witty quip before moving on, you become a bit more belligerent. Why? Because you've got some steel in the back pocket if the situation gets beyond your control. A gun increases the likelihood that you'll stick your nose in a situation that you'd normally avoid, ignore or walk away from.

People that view guns as 'sport'....for hunting, going to the shooting range etc., seem to have a good relationship with guns and view it as part of their lifestyle. People that view them as 'protection' often end up using it when the use of gun is easily avoidable. I always say, if you feel that unsafe to where you need a gun, take some boxing and jiujitsu classes first. If you can't throw a proper jab, don't buy a gun.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieOnTheMove View Post

All guns made in the US have had serial numbers since the 1960s, many since 1934 and some before that. Wholesale registration and licensure would be fought by the NRA, other gun rights groups and people like me because wholesale registration always leads to some level of confiscation/forced destruction or abuse by imposing absurd taxes and or insurance costs.

IMO parents should be liable for allowing kids access to guns then used in crimes. Sometimes criminally liable.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:01 AM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Its just so easy to get away with road rage. Even if you catch them on dash cam and get their tag number, nothing will happen to them unless you can CLEARLY - UNMISTAKABLY identify the driver, and even then that will easily be refuted by a lawyer on the offenders party unless there is a witnessing officer.

Unless a cop just so happens to be present to pull the offender over, they can pretty much run you off the road and keep going with no consequence, especially if no one witnesses.

I had an incident on I-35 where I tried to overtake a large pickup in my Prius. I was actually ahead of him by a good margin but he got offended and sped up and blocked me in my lane so I had to slow down, get behind him and overtake everyone on the right, later he pulled back up to me and paced me in his lane. Then he would speed up and cut me off at close range and de-accelerate by letting off the gas, not braking.. ..I would switch lanes then he would speed up again and jump back infront of me..

We came to a point where there was a car in the center lane and a truck in the right lane, only the left lane was open and I just knew what he was going to do. I jumped in the left lane like I was preparing to pass and as expected, he sped up and jumped infront of me to attempt to block the road but I knew he was going to do this so I jumped back in the center lane and overtook the truck on the right...

Now I'm in the far right lane and finally my exit is coming up and I signal that I'm about to leave the highway. He notices this from the far left lane, speeds up and jumps across the entire highway then cuts me off at point blank range then SLAMS on his brakes right infront of me.. ..I didn't see this one coming but was fast enough to pop the shifter into 'B' for 'Engine Brake' and slammed on my brakes managing to out brake his brake check. He sped off after that, I was pissed.. was heavily tempted to chase him down and call the police but I also had passengers with me and didn't want to escalate it further.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-14-2022 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-14-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
They actually do have serial numbers, but the record keeping and tracking thereof is incredibly poor. When you buy a gun, you’ll also be issued a certificate of ownership containing the serial number and other info, but plenty of people just throw this away or lose it.

I really don’t think that secondhand sales, straw purchases, and so on can be realistically prevented, but tougher penalties for gun related felonies would be a good start. Per EDS_ post, the enforcement of something like this would have an almost nonexistent effect on LTC/law abiding people. I think that this would also make criminals think twice about carrying guns. Bloomberg’s stop and frisk policy helped reduce crime, though there are other concerns with that beyond the scope of this discussion.
I've been a part time NYer since the 80s. Stop and frisk gained some traction under Ed Koch back then, and apparently was used some in the 1970s. I was born with no legal side brainpower but it all has something to do with The Terry decision IIRC.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I don't think guns are "bad" per se.

The issue is that guns often rob people of their street smarts and common sense. A 6'4" 265 lb guy with the punching power of George Foreman and the chin of Muhammad Ali bumps into you and makes a slick remark. You could easily walk away and 99/100, would walk away. You have no problem standing up for yourself but also realize that engaging with a man that could almost knock your head off your neck is not really a wise business decision.

Insert gun.

A situation that you'd (smartly) walk away from without a gun.........with a gun you're less afraid. Instead of backing down or making a witty quip before moving on, you become a bit more belligerent. Why? Because you've got some steel in the back pocket if the situation gets beyond your control. A gun increases the likelihood that you'll stick your nose in a situation that you'd normally avoid, ignore or walk away from.

People that view guns as 'sport'....for hunting, going to the shooting range etc., seem to have a good relationship with guns and view it as part of their lifestyle. People that view them as 'protection' often end up using it when the use of gun is easily avoidable. I always say, if you feel that unsafe to where you need a gun, take some boxing and jiujitsu classes first. If you can't throw a proper jab, don't buy a gun.

That's just not reality not broadly anyway. The allusion does not fit well because I'm 6'3" 245, great shape, used to bounce, look a little scary apparently.....when traveling overseas and a little less so in The US I'm selected for, "random extra screening" regularly. Anyway, your logic is 180 degrees out of phase. When non-criminals carry they are less likely to get involved in situation that could escalate, DPS data more or less proves as much. I'm a choir boy when I carry. When I'm not carrying much less so.

BTW my theory on protective martial arts is simple and rooted in my bouncing days. Never go the ground on purpose because the BG likely has friends and your shirt will be ruined. Agreed on the jab. I have very long arms and have become pretty good at a couple of stand up Ezekiel Choke variations....even my cop friends don't consider that move. But my standard theory is create distance and get away. Even this stuff though is generally needless as good situational avoidance tactics win the day.

Last edited by EDS_; 01-14-2022 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-14-2022, 09:16 AM

300 posts, read 290,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I've been a part time NYer since the 80s. Stop and frisk gained some traction under Ed Koch back then, and apparently was used some in the 1970s. I was born with no legal side brainpower but it all has something to do with The Terry decision IIRC.
The time frame checks out (Terry was in the late ‘60s). Claims I’ve seen repeated that stop and frisk is unconstitutional are false - it was carried out in an unconstitutional manner but is not itself unconstitutional.

De Blasio stopped stop and frisk, by and large. He pretty much sold out all law enforcement, hence why New York is the way that it is now. I do have a lot of hope for the new mayor, Adams, though.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
The time frame checks out (Terry was in the late ‘60s). Claims I’ve seen repeated that stop and frisk is unconstitutional are false - it was carried out in an unconstitutional manner but is not itself unconstitutional.

De Blasio stopped stop and frisk, by and large. He pretty much sold out all law enforcement, hence why New York is the way that it is now. I do have a lot of hope for the new mayor, Adams, though.
I typically don't think like this and clearly they don't have to listen to me but thankfully they do........I will not allow my wife or daughter (25yo) to stay at our place in Manhattan without either my son or me being there too. Right where our place is - is exceptionally safe generally but the city is being gripped by more and more chaos....video of brand daylight carjackings yesterday proving the point not to mention the one guy who has been arrested and released a couple of dozen times over the last ~12mos.

My wife isn't a lawyer but she has a law degree........she says stop and frisk per se is constitutional as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas