Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 12:16 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I moved to Austin last year but that didn't go as planned. I got lucky and was able to sell my house for a small profit seven months later. I retreated back to CA til I figured things out. I got lucky again and just landed a six figure remote job. I'm sure if I want to stay in CA long term. I'm going to stay here (have a cheap short term spot) for a few months til I get the hang of this job then figure it out so I'm not in a rush.

I've been looking online at a bunch of different cities and Dallas is high on my list. I've been to Dallas on a work trip back in 2016 but I wasn't thinking of relocating at that time.

I'm not interested in buying this year (learned my lesson) so I'm looking into an area that fits me where I'm at in life today vs where I want to be in five years. I'm hoping the upcoming higher interest rates decrease housing prices as well so definitely not in a rush. I want to rent for a year and go from there.

Using Austin as a reference point:

- Something 1-4 miles away from Zilker Park or NW Austin. I like being near the hustle but I don't like living in the hustle. Short drive or cheap Uber ride is my style.
- East Austin is not my type of scene. Didn't mind going there for lunch but couldn't live in that area.
- Hated South Austin

Other items:

- Price point - $2,500ish a month. I'd like a 2 bedroom to have an office.
- Must have assigned parking, I don't have patience to find parking every day.
- Having some stuff within walking distance would be cool but not required.
- I want to be near other single professionals. I was surrounded by families in suburban Austin and didn't fit in at all.

I'm planning on taking a trip in a week or so to really explore to imagine myself. I just need guidance on where I should focus since Dallas is so big. Big D. I see what I did there. Based off my google skills, I think Highland Park is what I'm looking for but I could be totally wrong.

Appreciate any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 01:58 PM

149 posts, read 146,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Based off my google skills, I think Highland Park is what I'm looking for but I could be totally wrong.
I think you might need to work on your Google skills my friend. Highland Park/University Park is literally the complete opposite of what you are looking for. HP/UP is an enclave within the city of Dallas and happens to be one of the richest cities in the entire country. Its pretty much only families living in single family homes in idyllic neighborhoods that range in the 2-20 million pricetag. Its not a place that people are renting in especially single young professionals without children

Look at Uptown instead

Old 01-23-2022, 09:22 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkroyal2223 View Post
I think you might need to work on your Google skills my friend. Highland Park/University Park is literally the complete opposite of what you are looking for. HP/UP is an enclave within the city of Dallas and happens to be one of the richest cities in the entire country. Its pretty much only families living in single family homes in idyllic neighborhoods that range in the 2-20 million pricetag. Its not a place that people are renting in especially single young professionals without children

Look at Uptown instead
I would rep you but it wont let me. I busted out laughing when I saw the results of his "google analysis". Highland Park??!?!? hilarious.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,081,251 times
I had to laugh at that one myself. The only place I'm familiar with is Addison, but I am not familiar with anything south of Preston Hollow really and thus wouldn't know about downtown.

I think you've really picked a bad time, and you will struggle to find anything in the current market given how many others from California want the exact same thing at the exact same time. The metro area really just doesn't any have room for more people right now. I would think California might better options if you can afford them. Even if not, I would not suggest Texas.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:08 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,048,957 times
I would stay in California

Old 01-24-2022, 09:58 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
Its pretty much only families living in single family homes in idyllic neighborhoods that range in the 2-20 million pricetag. Its not a place that people are renting in especially single young professionals without children
This is completely wrong. There are lots of rentals in University Park and Highland Park with SMU being nearby. I'm not sure about your budget or availability, because it is a wealthy area and school is in session, but if you've got the cash they exist. Also Uptown/Oak Lawn is adjacent to Highland Park, less than 2 miles away.

The Uptown area is along McKinney Ave, it's probably a good place to check because there are more units and more availability than Highland Park.

Old 01-24-2022, 11:39 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
Another vote for you staying in CA. I am comforted that you are able to find a good paying job despite being that bad at Google, though!

Old 01-24-2022, 11:47 AM

332 posts, read 260,191 times
Uptown/Oak Lawn area sounds about right. Have you considered looking at Houston? We have some neighborhoods that fit what your criteria (Rice Military, Heights, etc). The real estate market, especially inside the loop, isn't as crazy as Austin or Dallas.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:15 PM

149 posts, read 146,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
This is completely wrong. There are lots of rentals in University Park and Highland Park with SMU being nearby. I'm not sure about your budget or availability, because it is a wealthy area and school is in session, but if you've got the cash they exist. Also Uptown/Oak Lawn is adjacent to Highland Park, less than 2 miles away.

The Uptown area is along McKinney Ave, it's probably a good place to check because there are more units and more availability than Highland Park.
So if someone who is single without kids wanted to rent in Dallas with a price point of 2,500 dollars and a place with some walkability, your first suggestion to them would be Highland Park ?

Last edited by arkroyal2223; 01-24-2022 at 12:25 PM..

Old 01-24-2022, 12:43 PM

125 posts, read 149,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
I would stay in California
based
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas