Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 12:22 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
Houston's inferiority complex gets them all hot and bothered about Dallas while Dallas is merely ambivalent about Houston.
That's largely true, but the inferiority complex stems from the way the national media historically treated Houston relative to Dallas, which is saying something given that Dallas for a long time had a reputation for assassinating presidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 12:42 PM

329 posts, read 284,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
That's largely true, but the inferiority complex stems from the way the national media historically treated Houston relative to Dallas, which is saying something given that Dallas for a long time had a reputation for assassinating presidents.
As someone who recently got into a rabbit hole researching all of the (quite compelling) JFK assassination theories, it is crazy that the entire city of Dallas was condemned by the public.

My mom, growing up in Chicago in the years after JFK was killed said many people, particularly Dems, hated Dallas with a passion. This makes about as much sense as hating NYC because terrorists flew planes into the WTC.

I would argue in terms of global recognition, that Dallas and Houston are equal.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:43 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
Houston's inferiority complex gets them all hot and bothered about Dallas while Dallas is merely ambivalent about Houston.
Not true in the slightest, unless we're talking about pro football.

Old 03-31-2022, 05:22 PM

537 posts, read 450,269 times
Houston does not have the culture that Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex has, nor will it ever. We have two cities, which are unique. Houston is a port city with a bunch of oil related businesses.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:13 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
Houston does not have the culture that Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex has, nor will it ever. We have two cities, which are unique. Houston is a port city with a bunch of oil related businesses.
Now THAT is funny.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:50 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Dallasites wishing Houston had an inferiority complex and Houstonians feeding into it. Boy this thread has gone into sheetz! Congratulations Texas, you have the most embarrassing rivalry in existence. No where have I seen people get in their feelings over things that don’t matter like this.

Old 04-01-2022, 07:35 AM

869 posts, read 319,576 times
Should've known the thread would go this way, lol...

Houston AND Dallas are pretty much equally important nationally.

Houston is a few leagues ABOVE Dallas globally. That's just pure reality, and whoever says otherwise is delusional. You can't be the energy capital OF THE WORLD and not be the more globally important city. Jeez

Old 04-01-2022, 08:58 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Ive lived in both metros as well as Pgh and NYC metros. Both Texas cities are more alike than different in my view. Both are fast growing metros because they both like business even manufacturing. Both are more international and diverse than most cities. Houston metro leads the country in manufacturing jobs while DFW is second followed by NYC, Houston has more foreign embassies or consulates than every city but NYC and SF, Houston has global energy while DFW is more domestic and congenital on shore focused.

Texas and these two metros like business and understand their needs rather than view them a source of tax revenues, Business move to and grow where thy are wanted and liked.

Living in Houston I rarely heard anyone mention Dallas or care about it. No one told m good luck moving to DFW from Houston. When I got to DFW, I had several say I bet you are glad to get out of Houston right? My answer was no its a nice place to live.

For my taste i prefer DfW's climate having more distinct seasons with some low and some high humidity times. I like living in W. Plano and prefer i to any spot in Houston metro I Know. Dallas views Houston as more blue collar than it is. In a world where oil and gas are considered a dirty name by many, Houston has some global jobs which are incredibly challenging and fun. Id recommend prefer either city ovr other US cities.

Rivals? No

Inferiority complex? a little but stronger in DFW than Houston. Better climate DFW.

Scenic? Neither if that's you passion look elsewhere

Good people? Both

Fast growing YES because they treat businesses and jobs well. People go where the jobs are and where they welcomed

Old 04-01-2022, 09:48 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Moderator Note: As a reminder, the original post of this thread is quoted below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What spurred the growth of the DFW Metroplex? It is the fourth largest metro in US. The biggest metro not near the ocean or a major water body. Chicago is on the Great Lakes, and can sail out of the ocean, and is connected to the Mississipi River. But DFW Metroplex is just land based primarily.

It is bigger than Houston and PHX, and PHX is now the fourth biggest city proper. When did it start to happen? Its also very diverse. When did DFW Metroplex get its first Asian strip mall with supermarket, and dim sum?

I hear of "Silicon Prairie", but why DFW instead of Kansas, Omaha, OKC or Quad Cities even? Is it the weather? It is further south than the other prairie cities. Does that mean Dallas has less harsh winters? What about the summers? Is it a dry heat like California?
If Dallas vs. Houston is something you would like to discuss in-depth, please take it to the Texas or City vs. City forums. Don't do it here. Thank you.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:07 PM

663 posts, read 306,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalistiq View Post
As someone who recently got into a rabbit hole researching all of the (quite compelling) JFK assassination theories, it is crazy that the entire city of Dallas was condemned by the public.

My mom, growing up in Chicago in the years after JFK was killed said many people, particularly Dems, hated Dallas with a passion. This makes about as much sense as hating NYC because terrorists flew planes into the WTC.

I would argue in terms of global recognition, that Dallas and Houston are equal.
We must remember that JFK was assassinated early 1960s. Clearly by the late 70s the scourge was long gone.

A world-wide TV show monster hit even in syndication in Nations getting it years later.

DALLAS was given the OIL BARREN and OIL CITY AND OF WEALTH. Not Houston and it was a HUGE HIT that spun similar Wealthy Family series of the era.

Showing oil wells and wealth were what Dallas was...

That TV show was as many of us remember. If you'all
Do NOT.... let its intro similar or all 13 yrs snd 2012 rehash. Show you what the world saw. RUN 1978 thru
1991. All the 80s...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=atxFfVm7sE4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas