Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 06:15 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
It's crazy in some neighborhoods. Mine is a buyer's market for sure, and within the city it's not alone.
Almost all of the homes in my neighborhood are sold via pocket listings these days. It's impossible to move in unless you have the right agent who has connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 06:05 PM

17 posts, read 14,429 times
Just buy a starter home in Fort Worth. Once you start dating and things get serious, you can then re-evaluate if you want to remain there or relocate to a new place with your partner. You’re probably going to want to relocate, and you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:29 PM

537 posts, read 449,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Almost all of the homes in my neighborhood are sold via pocket listings these days. It's impossible to move in unless you have the right agent who has connections.
I would guess based on other posts you have written that you are in a more affluent, established neighborhood. The kind of area where homes could always be sold via pocket listings.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:20 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,082,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
I would guess based on other posts you have written that you are in a more affluent, established neighborhood. The kind of area where homes could always be sold via pocket listings.
It doesn't have to be affluent. If the houses are cheap enough, they can always be sold by pocket listings. If my home were in poor condition, that's the only way I'd ever consider it. I'd be too embarrassed. Investors are always eager to snap up old homes up for rentals. Real estate agents with good networks will typically know a potential buyer. Putting it on the market will always get top dollar though.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:23 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
Not necessarily. A lot of the homes in my neighborhood were over-customized in a way that no one except the owners would ever want. I saw some weird stuff when I was house hunting. A lot of the homes sat on the market for an insanely long time for that reason. Now, people are more willing to remodel to get what they want.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:13 PM

54 posts, read 79,843 times
Hey, OP here. Found a place I think like. It's the "Main 7 Urban Villas" townhomes in Arlington--130 Garden Court West area. Kind of between work(Ft Worth) and play(Dallas). Price is more than I would like but I can manage it; ~$430,000 mortgage on a $134,000/year pre-tax income with main debt being $800/month federal student loan payment. Those student loans will be forgiven in 5 years under the PSLF. With the VA home loan, no down, no PMI, and no funding fee. The payment will be ~$2700/month.

Centrally located with stuff to do and near UT Arlington. As a 42 yo single guy with no kids/wife, I think I could be happy there.

Before making this major life decision, I wanted to check-in with the internet one more time. The financial planner I spoke with said I should stick to $2500/month. I think $2700 is close enough to $2500.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:18 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP 270 View Post
Hey, OP here. Found a place I think like. It's the "Main 7 Urban Villas" townhomes in Arlington--130 Garden Court West area. Kind of between work(Ft Worth) and play(Dallas). Price is more than I would like but I can manage it; ~$430,000 mortgage on a $134,000/year pre-tax income with main debt being $800/month federal student loan payment. Those student loans will be forgiven in 5 years under the PSLF. With the VA home loan, no down, no PMI, and no funding fee. The payment will be ~$2700/month.

Centrally located with stuff to do and near UT Arlington. As a 42 yo single guy with no kids/wife, I think I could be happy there.

Before making this major life decision, I wanted to check-in with the internet one more time. The financial planner I spoke with said I should stick to $2500/month. I think $2700 is close enough to $2500.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Location seems ok as long as you don’t mind being blocks from UTA campus…I assume neighbors in a $400k townhome complex would not be loud college students? This is one of those places I can’t see a woman wanting to live assuming you meet that bride quickly like you want to….but I can see it possibly being a good long term rental property if you move on to a SFH due to campus proximity.

Does $2700/mo include HOA & an accurate property tax estimate? I really don’t love seeing debt payments over 50% of take home pay and you would be pushing 50% (possibly over if you have a car lease / payment too). But you do have a healthy take home pay with around $3000/mo left after PITI, utility/cable/internet bills, car & loan so as long as you can save / invest / play / give with $36k per year and meet your lifestyle / financial goals, then you’re probably ok.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:21 AM

1,846 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP 270 View Post

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
That area is so-so, but the city has been throwing money at the "downtown" area in the hopes that it will become the in place to be with some success. It is close to UTA so lots of people in the 20's-30's close by along with some good places to meet people over toward Mesquite St. More and more breweries, bars and eating places slowly opening up close by and they tend to always be packed. The location is very central with that being said Cooper st and I-30 might as well be a parking lot during rush hour. I've heard that I-35 isn't much better but don't know for sure. Those RR tracks are very active with freight trains (quite-zone so no horn, but yeah annoying) also the city jail is just on the other side of the tracks hence the bail bonds close by. I suspect that a good number of the residence of this place are professionals, but there are college students in there (probably multiple students sharing the cost) as I've seen a couple of them while cycling through. There is still a noticeable homeless population in that area as a lot of there services are close by, but it seems to be shrinking and they tend to stay hidden. Overall the area is slowly improving, but it was starting at a low point so it'll be interesting to see what comes in the future.
Just looked up the monthly cost on one of there townhomes ($440,000) and it came out to just over $3,000 a month with 20% down does your $2,700 include the $200ish HOA fee?

Old 02-07-2022, 08:10 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Location seems ok as long as you don’t mind being blocks from UTA campus…I assume neighbors in a $400k townhome complex would not be loud college students? This is one of those places I can’t see a woman wanting to live assuming you meet that bride quickly like you want to….but I can see it possibly being a good long term rental property if you move on to a SFH due to campus proximity.

Does $2700/mo include HOA & an accurate property tax estimate? I really don’t love seeing debt payments over 50% of take home pay and you would be pushing 50% (possibly over if you have a car lease / payment too). But you do have a healthy take home pay with around $3000/mo left after PITI, utility/cable/internet bills, car & loan so as long as you can save / invest / play / give with $36k per year and meet your lifestyle / financial goals, then you’re probably ok.
Oh, yes, neighbors a couple blocks from UTA will certainly be loud college students. Four to a place, bought by daddy and rented out.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:46 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Wow. That is a crazy mortgage payment on a townhome, especially for a single guy. Hopefully they will appreciate over time and you'll gain equity. Multi-family housing in DFW is notorious for appreciating much more slowly than single-family housing.
I'm also a little concerned about the Salvation Army being literally across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas