Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,873 times

Advertisements

My son is applying to GH for middle school (not the 5th grade expansion year) for the 2022-23 school year.

He got 6-6-9-9 on his ISEE. (6's on verbal, 9's on math).

Do these seem like strong enough scores to get into GH? He has straight A's at his current school.

Thanks in advance for any input. We are new to this process and biting fingernails waiting until March 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 03:37 PM

791 posts, read 1,221,090 times
Those scores are good and IMO definitely high enough to be in contention. Of course there is no score high enough to guarantee acceptance. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,873 times
Thank you very much for answering!

Old 02-01-2022, 06:26 AM

554 posts, read 683,439 times
I agree with JTC that those scores are high enough for him to be considered. The bigger issue will be that you are applying for a non-expansion year, which makes the competition even fiercer. Anecdotally, I've seen more admissions in 7th over the years versus 6th or 8th. Best of luck to you! I remember how excruciating the wait is even though it's been forever since I last did it!

Old 02-01-2022, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 15,507 times
My son is also applying to GH for high school 9th grade for the 2022-23 school year.

Waiting for the decisions to come out is very nerve wracking. Good Luck for us!

Old 02-02-2022, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,264 times
Default Good luck!

My Son has also applied to 9th grade GH this year. Anybody have any idea of what ISEE scores would have a decent chance? Have seen folks saying everything from all 9's to total of 25...

Old 02-10-2022, 03:00 PM

17 posts, read 27,770 times
I don't know the answer and I doubt any data is publicly available. However, if they only selected students with all 9's they would barely find enough enrollees to fill a classroom. That is incredibly hard because the ISEE is graded on a curve. I think only 4% of students can score a 9 on any portion of the exam. I do think you should be aiming for 7s or higher. That puts you in the 80ish percentile. But again, it depends not only on the rest of your application but also on the quality of the other kids applying.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:52 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffview Parental Unit View Post
I don't know the answer and I doubt any data is publicly available. However, if they only selected students with all 9's they would barely find enough enrollees to fill a classroom. That is incredibly hard because the ISEE is graded on a curve. I think only 4% of students can score a 9 on any portion of the exam. I do think you should be aiming for 7s or higher. That puts you in the 80ish percentile. But again, it depends not only on the rest of your application but also on the quality of the other kids applying.

Right, 4% of test takers per subject will earn a 9. It's not so much a grading-curve but raw scores yield positions under a "normal" bell curve. IIRC making a 9 requires something close to 96-100% correct answers.

I'm not explaining myself well but it's not like a particular test taker sets the curve per subject per test.

Scroll down about 1/2-way to a bell curve........

https://www.piqosity.com/2020/12/14/...od-score-isee/

Old 02-10-2022, 07:24 PM

17 posts, read 27,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Right, 4% of test takers per subject will earn a 9. It's not so much a grading-curve but raw scores yield positions under a "normal" bell curve. IIRC making a 9 requires something close to 96-100% correct answers.

I'm not explaining myself well but it's not like a particular test taker sets the curve per subject per test.

Scroll down about 1/2-way to a bell curve........

https://www.piqosity.com/2020/12/14/...od-score-isee/
Yes, I found it interesting that they use the previous three years worth of test takers to set the bell curve. So unless the current year is significantly smarter you won't have many kids score four 9's. And I know we're not talking probabilities here, but if we were it would be very low to score a 36. I only write this because searching the Internet for information about scores results in a lot of "my kid scored 9,9,9,8 -- is that good?" type posts which drive me crazy.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:53 PM

128 posts, read 231,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffview Parental Unit View Post
Yes, I found it interesting that they use the previous three years worth of test takers to set the bell curve. So unless the current year is significantly smarter you won't have many kids score four 9's. And I know we're not talking probabilities here, but if we were it would be very low to score a 36. I only write this because searching the Internet for information about scores results in a lot of "my kid scored 9,9,9,8 -- is that good?" type posts which drive me crazy.
My kid scored 9,9,9,8 and I knew it was good! That got her into Hockaday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas