Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 3,508 times

Advertisements

Hello Plano, does anyone else notice the incredible non-stop air traffic noise overhead lately? We are getting noise from airports in McKinney, Addison & seems we are now on flight path for Southwest to Love Field. Toss in a few helicopters every 30 minutes and it is nonstop. I chose to live in Plano specifically to avoid air traffic noise- but Plano air noise is just as bad as if we lived near one of these airports. Please post your thoughts. Other cities like Scottsdale, Palo Alto others have fought back successfully. This noise is getting worse & will go downhill if we do not do something about this. See Sky Posse Palo Alto- to see how they lodged complaints. Any ideas or feedback would be great. Plano is an awesome place to live, but the airplane noise is really getting bad- like having a leaf blower going all day. We chose Plano specificially because it was not located near DFW or Love Field. 30 minutes from both airports. Plano used to be OK. Air traffic increased lately. Thanks for feedback.

Last edited by Kate2022; 01-26-2022 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 05:47 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
You know that DFW Airport is one of the world’s largest and busiest airports, right?

Old 01-26-2022, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,508 times
Thanks ChristieP. Yes. We know DFW is huge. Plano is getting the flights from northeast flying over southwest to Love Field. We chose to live in Plano specifically so we were not close to DFW or Love Field.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:08 PM

1,158 posts, read 960,857 times
The airlines are not going to change their flight paths for Plano.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:18 PM

304 posts, read 185,129 times
Longtime lurker, but this one is so absurd I actually registered.

Plano has a pittance of air traffic. The lifeflight helicopter traffic is for the freaking hospital. And there’s this little thing called wind that periodically changes approach patterns for Love field. Even then, they’re usually around 5-7K feet up at that point. If you can hear those while inside your home, the noise of crickets in your back yard must be deafening.

There’s seriously far more road noise, which may be what you’re confusing for air traffic?

And seriously. Using a Palo Alto example? Guess what… you can always move back.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:52 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,085,566 times
Plano is a poor choice for those seeking peace and quiet. For that matter, so is most of the metro area. I can't think of a single quiet area. Even farther out, the slightest noise gets amplified because there is no buffer, and those remote locations are often right off major highways.

Funny how airplane traffic works. I live in McKinney, and I hardly ever hear airplanes, although the road noise is atrocious. I drove out to a few spots along those peninsulas around Little Elm, and I was stunned at the amount of airplane traffic overhead.

Leaf blowers are the worst. Those things should be banned.

What part of Plano are you in? Is it the same in other parts of the city?

Old 01-26-2022, 09:02 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
The airlines are not going to change their flight paths for Plano.
LOL, right. Good luck with your grassroots campaign to stop planes from flying in the sky, OP...

Last edited by NoClueWho; 01-26-2022 at 10:03 PM..

Old 01-26-2022, 09:44 PM

304 posts, read 185,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Plano is a poor choice for those seeking peace and quiet. For that matter, so is most of the metro area. I can't think of a single quiet area. Even farther out, the slightest noise gets amplified because there is no buffer, and those remote locations are often right off major highways.

Funny how airplane traffic works. I live in McKinney, and I hardly ever hear airplanes, although the road noise is atrocious. I drove out to a few spots along those peninsulas around Little Elm, and I was stunned at the amount of airplane traffic overhead.

Leaf blowers are the worst. Those things should be banned.

What part of Plano are you in? Is it the same in other parts of the city?
I’m assuming you don’t actually live in Plano, correct?

Because right now, in smack dab central Plano, laying in my bed, the only thing that I can hear is the fact that the stupid fish tank in the kitchen is a little low on water and the filter is creating a waterfall noise.

For reference, I back up to Parker, which is probably the 3rd or 4th busiest E/W corridor.

So, again - what part of Plano do you live in again?

Old 01-26-2022, 10:17 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Plano isn't really under any of the typical approach paths into either DFW or DAL though it's possible that some aircraft might be taking a different approach into Love Field. Possibly an unusual departure path.

From DFW the runways are north-south so they would typically not approach over Plano. I heard a lot of aircraft noise in Flower Mound though.

I live in Las Colinas and for being 5 miles from the foot of the runways at DFW I never hear aircraft traffic.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:07 AM

588 posts, read 486,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2022 View Post
Hello Plano, does anyone else notice the incredible non-stop air traffic noise overhead lately? We are getting noise from airports in McKinney, Addison & seems we are now on flight path for Southwest to Love Field. Toss in a few helicopters every 30 minutes and it is nonstop. I chose to live in Plano specifically to avoid air traffic noise- but Plano air noise is just as bad as if we lived near one of these airports. Please post your thoughts. Other cities like Scottsdale, Palo Alto others have fought back successfully. This noise is getting worse & will go downhill if we do not do something about this. See Sky Posse Palo Alto- to see how they lodged complaints. Any ideas or feedback would be great. Plano is an awesome place to live, but the airplane noise is really getting bad- like having a leaf blower going all day. We chose Plano specificially because it was not located near DFW or Love Field. 30 minutes from both airports. Plano used to be OK. Air traffic increased lately. Thanks for feedback.
Get your hearing checked. Plane noise is not an issue here. Leaf blowers are a huge issue, like any other suburb. Those things need to be banned or a silencer should be added and required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas