Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 1,732 times

Advertisements

What are good areas in Dallas for short term rentals? As a first time investor, is it wise to go for STR or LTR single family? The 1% rule doesn't hold in Dallas metro these days with high inflated house pricing. Looking to get the wisdom of crowds on this forum for guidance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 08:25 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,742,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyAmI View Post
What are good areas in Dallas for short term rentals? As a first time investor, is it wise to go for STR or LTR single family? The 1% rule doesn't hold in Dallas metro these days with high inflated house pricing. Looking to get the wisdom of crowds on this forum for guidance
Please don’t do this. Buy an index fund or something if you want to invest.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:24 AM

8,097 posts, read 8,229,742 times
As a long time residential property investor, I advise you this is not a good time to obtain a property. Just. Wait. Also, please consider that many municipalities are moving toward limiting the amounts of short term non-commercial rentals allowed and many, many, many HOA’s forbid them.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:35 AM

8,097 posts, read 8,229,742 times
https://www.2ndaddress.com/research/...m-rental-laws/

this link notes some of the cities with short term rental laws in 2020. I know since that time many more cities have imposed regulations. Example: not noted in the article above, Las Vegas neighbor Henderson requires licenses and limits amount of licenses they sell. The practice of cities issuing limited numbers of licenses leads to corruption and under the table dealings to get them, which puts a dent in profitability.

Not to mention HOA’s. Three HOA’s where I own properties in the DFW area strictly forbid leasing short term rentals (one min 12-month lease, others min 6-month lease) and my HOA in Las Vegas area min 12-month lease. More and more HOA’s are moving in that direction. So if you decide to move forward you’ll need to find a place that either has no HOA or allows short term rentals.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:40 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,665,928 times
Not Arlington and not Grapevine. Cities here are really starting to crack down on short-term rentals, and many have prohibited them or made them heavily regulated. I agree that this real estate market is too hot to logically buy an investment property.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:57 PM

238 posts, read 169,025 times
Simply "buy low, sell high" concept. Stocks have been recently hammered. Property values are currently all time high.

I agree this is not good time property, especially for first time investor.
I also agree to buy an index fund instead.

Old 05-30-2022, 03:22 PM

Got it. That seems to be the general recommendation from what I can tell.
What about long term rental areas once the market corrects.
Little Elm, Anna, mckinney, Melissa? Any thoughts on those or any other areas that your recommend that I haven't considered?

Old 05-30-2022, 03:24 PM

Am concerned about keeping cash in an inflationary environment
Was thinking of real estate but like you pointed out, wait for correction.
During that time, any other asset classes that you recommend?

Old 05-30-2022, 04:29 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,742,480 times
Real estate isn't necessarily a bad investment, but you need to be far more serious about it than asking strangers on the internet what they recommend. That was my point. If you want something that is likely to earn a return with little to no real effort on your part, buy an index fund that exposes you to the market. It is as likely as anything else to protect you from inflation (although there's no perfect inflation hedge) over the longer term. You can even buy financial assets with leverage like you can real estate, although I also don't recommend doing so without research/learning.

Old 05-30-2022, 09:06 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,665,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyAmI View Post
Got it. That seems to be the general recommendation from what I can tell.
What about long term rental areas once the market corrects.
Little Elm, Anna, mckinney, Melissa? Any thoughts on those or any other areas that your recommend that I haven't considered?
All of those areas are on the outer edge of the DFW metro and of zero interest to tourists. I doubt you’d have much internet in a short-term rental in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas