Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 09:22 AM

304 posts, read 184,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
What??? I lived in the Village for years as a single guy, now granted this was 15 years ago. It was a good place to live. I havent heard of it going down hill since then. You absolutely could live there and commute downtown easily. Perhaps we are talking about different Villages? I'm talking about the one off Lovers Lane.
If anything, it’s probably safer/better now than it was 15 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 09:31 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Living in The Village right now with a 2bd/2br for $1440. If $1,600 is your limit, you can definitely afford a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom pretty easily.

Very safe, quiet and plenty of people from all walks of life. Lots of different apartments with different styles, price points etc. Community gym is about 32,000 sq feet and is good enough to keep me from signing up at LA Fitness and Planet Fitness nearby.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:37 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,050,385 times
Your moving to the same thing except Phx is a dry heat, DFW is a humid heat

Old 01-28-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeAZ85 View Post
I will be relocating to Dallas from Phoenix in the next few months. I am just trying to get a feel of where good areas in the Metroplex are to live. I will be working remotely from home, and will have to occasionally return to Phoenix for work meetings, so commuting and traffic aren't an issue for me. It will just be myself. I'm 26 and live alone so an apartment is likely my option. Also, is the weather ok on average? I know it's not as hot as Phoenix, but I have heard Dallas can be humid and gets quite a few tornadoes every so often.

I am just wondering what the most decent areas are, and not too far from Downtown Dallas. I will be flying to Dallas in a few weeks to look around myself and rent a car to do this. I've been to Dallas a few times in the past, but never for relocating. Just for quick work trips. Just wanted to get a heads up from locals as to where you would recommend to live and what areas of the city / area are decent, as well as low crime levels if possible. Thanks.
What’s a Phoenix neighborhood or area that you’d be looking to replicate or find the same vibe of?

Also, where is the Dallas office going to be located? Even if you’re not commuting on a daily basis, I imagine you’ll still be going there from time to time.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:34 AM

625 posts, read 666,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
My cousin lived in The Village apartments, and I remember our driving around there. That place was absolutely horrifying. I can't believe anyone would consider it safe or nice. I would be terrified just to drive around that area. I wouldn't consider it close to downtown either. Close to downtown requires going south of Mockingbird in my view, and I don't believe anything close to downtown except the Park Cities is going to be safe.

For the most part, it looked to me like Phoenix and its suburbs had similar pricing for similar-sounding areas, but that was only a high level glance and some guesswork at to what those areas were like. It looked as though both markets were equally crazy. I would be surprised if you were able to get what you are looking for more affordably.
You've mentioned previously that you rarely come into the city. Just like I rarely go above 635 - I wouldn't consider myself an expert in these areas. I can 100% promise you that the Village of today has transformed (and honestly it wasn't bad 20 years ago when my husband lived there). The #1 New Restaurant in D Magazine is inside the Village: https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...as-texas-2021/

Additionally, it has state of the art athletic fields, golf zone, new sports bar, athletic facility, wine bar, shopping, etc. My concern for the OP was that it might be 'too' upscale now for his budget. Its also 15 minutes from downtown - so I consider it relatively close by. My husband and I have started have weekly drinks there while waiting on our son's nearby activity and have been shocked by the area.

I also - as I've mentioned - have children and have brought my kids up within 2 miles of downtown their whole lives. They go to public, amazing schools - regularly walk around lower greenville, downtown, deep ellum, Bishop Arts, lakewood, etc. I find it very safe and have had zero problems.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz_2022 View Post
What’s a Phoenix neighborhood or area that you’d be looking to replicate or find the same vibe of?

Also, where is the Dallas office going to be located? Even if you’re not commuting on a daily basis, I imagine you’ll still be going there from time to time.
I grew up in Surprise and El Mirage, northwest of Phoenix. I currently live in Mesa which is on the east side of Phoenix.

My work's Dallas office is going to either be in a building a few blocks from Dealey Plaza, or near Love Field off of a street called Harry Hines Blvd. The company president will be closing on one of them in a few weeks.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I grew up in Surprise and El Mirage, northwest of Phoenix. I currently live in Mesa which is on the east side of Phoenix.

My work's Dallas office is going to either be in a building a few blocks from Dealey Plaza, or near Love Field off of a street called Harry Hines Blvd. The company president will be closing on one of them in a few weeks.
For your sake, I hope the office is in the first location.

Compared to Mesa, Dallas is going to feel like a Mecca. Good grief that city is something else. I’d look around Addison really, maybe uptown if the budget works.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:42 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Living in The Village right now with a 2bd/2br for $1440. If $1,600 is your limit, you can definitely afford a 1 bedroom/1 bathroom pretty easily.

Very safe, quiet and plenty of people from all walks of life. Lots of different apartments with different styles, price points etc. Community gym is about 32,000 sq feet and is good enough to keep me from signing up at LA Fitness and Planet Fitness nearby.
The Village was a better community before the renovation project that went from 2017-2021. Yes, the renovation of the main community areas looks good aesthetically, but is subpar functionally. The renovation put in a bunch of unnecessary fluff. Most residents don't most of the fluff from that project. Too many unneeded food/beverage concepts.

The community gym is one of the few assets worthwhile from the renovation, but not without its flaws. You're right that it is good enough for residents to avoid the LA Fitness, Planet Fitness, and 24 Hour Fitness locations within a few miles.

If he's looking for a one bedroom, he'll be mainly looking at the older complexes of The Village, which are adequate but not that great.

He can look at older complexes in The Village and compare with Knox-Henderson and Lower Greenville. Those are good choice. If this was 2007-2016, the recommendation would be to go to Uptown, but Uptown really started to decline in the mid-2010s after about 15 years as being the place to be for 22-35 year olds.

Quote:
My price range is no more than $1600 a month. I am leaving because Phoenix is becoming too expensive to live in now and the crime has skyrocketed. There are other personal reasons relationship wise why I am leaving. But the main reason is that my company is headquartered in Phoenix but is opening an office in Dallas, and i volunteered to help start things up.

Phoenix is and always will be home and it is a nice place to live, but it is getting beyond affordable to live in now and I also need a change from one year round single season of summer and living in an oven.
Dallas rents for one bedroom apartments are generally pricier than Phoenix, when comparing parts of the two metro areas with similar vibes.

Dallas is a better metro area for jobs than Phoenix, so that's a positive.

Quote:

Mesa is a boring suburb. It's probably most analogous to Richardson or Irving in Dallas County.

If you're 26, single, and working remotely, you don't want to live in a boring suburb. Use this move as an opportunity to move to a less boring place. The Village Apartments in Dallas would be a far more exciting area than anything in Mesa. There's no grouping of ~15 apartment complexes surrounding a central community center anywhere in Phoenix, let alone one in a central-ish area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Just read your second post…where you were driving was not the village. It was probably the 5 Points area off Greenville & Park. That’s not a good neighborhood. I know it’s weird because it across Northwest Hwy from the Village but it’s two totally different neighborhoods that don’t mix and don’t cross over. I lived near the Village for years and literally never had a problem, even as a single woman with a dog who walking morning & night.
Very good point worth illustrating.

Last edited by RJ312; 01-31-2022 at 04:54 AM..

Old 01-31-2022, 09:53 PM

317 posts, read 227,878 times
Apartments in Las Colinas, near Lake Carolyn could be a good fit.... Between both airports, close to downtown... Just Google "Lake Carolyn Apartments" that would put you in the area.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:16 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,550 times
Better, more temperate weather in Dallas.
Much better housing stock: newer, slightly cheaper than PHX, more options.
Bigger city, more amenities, more diverse and upscale.
Friendlier people. Better work ethic.
You can find your niche here, whatever it is, unlike PHX which is lacking in many areas.
Dallas is landlocked. If you like traveling, no income tax will help with travel budget - you'll need it, unlike in PHX where you can take day trips to some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.
Check out Las Colinas to start. It's conveniently located to Uptown, Addison, Grapevine, Ft.Worth (all potential spots of interest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas