Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 03:56 PM

14 posts, read 14,945 times

Advertisements

To the OP original question: As a current Southlake family who works in and sends their kids to school in Dallas, it has been difficult for us to make meaningful friendships in Southlake. I suspect your experience would be different with children in the Southlake school system, as that connects many families in Southlake. There is tremendous pride among families with being a "dragon," and people care deeply about the education system.

Our experience with our neighbors and the general community is that people are friendly and warm. I grew up in the suburbs in the Southeast, and it feels similar to that for me. Politically, it's definitely red, but there are still plenty of people with diverse views. Even in a hotly contested school board election, the more liberal candidate pulled down nearly 35% of the vote. Frankly, I think the news highlights a sensationalized version of the real experience.

Outside of school, I think it's tougher to make friends because people are so busy with their own lives; however, that doesn't mean there aren't opportunities, including great events at Town Square several times a year.

Regarding the racism topic, my wife is non-white, and we rarely notice overt racism in our day-to-day interactions with neighbors or in/around the community. Of course it's there (and I suspect more noticeably with kids at the upper schools based on what I've heard from other parents), but we've had more noticeable experiences with it in PH/Park Cities, where some mom's have at times treated her like the nanny (for the avoidance of doubt, I don't believe that's the norm in that area -- lots of nice people too). I wouldn't let fear of racism scare you away -- my view is that there are enough good people in the community for you to mostly avoid the more toxic subset of the community.

The status consciousness of the community is as I would expect given the overall affluence. It happens in other areas in Dallas too, and I think it's on us as parents to help lay the foundation for values. In some neighborhoods like Southlake you'll need to put more energy in keeping your kids down to earth than if they live in other neighborhoods, but you may not have to put as much energy in other areas of risk that could develop in less affluent areas like Grapevine, for example. I believe it's rare that you find a place that insulates you only from the bad -- the bad seems to find its way in all communities, just in different forms.

Overall, I think there's a lot to like about Southlake. We will likely look to move to Dallas at some point in the future if our children stay in private school, but that's not to take away from Southlake -- it's clean, safe, filled with people of similar socioeconomic backgrounds who care about education, contains lots of easily accessible stores and good infrastructure, has less traffic than other comparable areas, and has a generally attractive aesthetic (if you don't mind the cookie-cutter feel of some neighborhoods).

Best of luck with your move, and feel free to DM me if you want to know anything else.

Last edited by tunnelcat; 01-31-2022 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Clarifying a section to avoid implying a negative attribute about another area.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:09 PM

14 posts, read 14,945 times
One other point to add related to education, since you mentioned the schools in one of your posts:

My sense, from talking with parents who have had kids in a range of top DFW school districts, including the top privates, is that Southlake is a great place for an average to bright kid, especially if you place a heavy emphasis on sports. If your child is highly gifted, I've heard the ASPIRE academy in Grapevine-Colleyville ISD is excellent. For a less sports-focused culture in the same area, there's a charter school called Westlake Academy for Westlake residents that is well-regarded.

Of course there are many good public and private options around the metroplex, including UP/HP, if you want to venture further from the airport.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:11 PM

300 posts, read 290,158 times
Someone, probably OP, added a reputation comment with a question about whether it would be difficult/how difficult it would be to fit in HPISD and I have private messages off so thought I would respond here.

Disclaimer — I have no direct experience with HPISD, so someone who does should take over. However, I have had friends/acquaintances go through.

Highland Park doesn’t exactly look like a UN meeting, and there is next to zero socioeconomic diversity, but both of those things are also true of Southlake and per the mountains of posts on here much more likely to be problematic or contentious in Southlake. For what it’s worth, the people I know from the Park Cities are nicer and I would think more likely to be welcoming than the people I know from Southlake.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:43 PM

245 posts, read 254,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
So there's a lot of Hispanic/Latine kids?
Yes- Walnut Grove, to pick one out of a hat, is 56.9% white, 23.3% Asian, 10.4% Hispanic, and 6.9% mixed. Lower grades will be less white than higher grade levels.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:12 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
Someone, probably OP, added a reputation comment with a question about whether it would be difficult/how difficult it would be to fit in HPISD and I have private messages off so thought I would respond here.

Disclaimer — I have no direct experience with HPISD, so someone who does should take over. However, I have had friends/acquaintances go through.

Highland Park doesn’t exactly look like a UN meeting, and there is next to zero socioeconomic diversity, but both of those things are also true of Southlake and per the mountains of posts on here much more likely to be problematic or contentious in Southlake. For what it’s worth, the people I know from the Park Cities are nicer and I would think more likely to be welcoming than the people I know from Southlake.
I don’t have ties to either, but Southlake schools are way more diverse than HPISD (61% white in Southlake, 82% in HPISD).

Old 01-31-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
I don’t have ties to either, but Southlake schools are way more diverse than HPISD (61% white in Southlake, 82% in HPISD).
Right - but I still wouldn’t consider Southlake “diverse” at ~85% white and Asian. In this way, it is quite similar to Highland Park, even if the exact numbers differ.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:30 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Quote:
If you're averse to Plano and Frisco ISD but want good public schools, might be working in Dallas frequently or semi-frequently, and have the budget for Southlake, the obvious choice would be Highland or University Park. HPISD is one of the best public school districts in the US and is far stronger than Southlake without the ongoing controversy, DoE investigations, and negative stigma. I realize I suggested suburbs on my previous post, but glancing back through the thread I couldn't find anything where you said that a suburb is a must-have.
We chose not to move to HP for the same reasons we chose not to move to Southlake.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
We chose not to move to HP for the same reasons we chose not to move to Southlake.
The original poster is seemingly somewhat okay with Southlake. If they’re fine with Southlake, they’ll also be fine with HP, which doesn’t have these issues to anywhere near the same extent that Southlake does

Old 02-01-2022, 10:10 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Quote:
The original poster is seemingly somewhat okay with Southlake. If they’re fine with Southlake, they’ll also be fine with HP, which doesn’t have these issues to anywhere near the same extent that Southlake does
I don't know how it is now but they have had issues with racism in the past. I was born in Dallas and grew up there. I remember when it made the Dallas Morning News when a black family moved to HP and I remember when some high school students got in trouble for bringing leaf blowers and dressing like maids on Cinco de Mayo. I really hope it's gotten better.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:08 PM

39 posts, read 36,236 times
We moved from northeast and chose UP (park cities) over southlake. Hard to compare the two areas but our last school election at least had a more positive outcome. The price point of UP/HP over Southlake is higher though, just something to consider!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas