Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2022, 10:19 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurce9 View Post
Oh indeed! That’s the most important for us. We’re on the same page. We’re just trying to find something that will help our kids (especially the 13 year old) feel a sense of normalcy and have a way to make friends. Hockey is their sport. That’s why I’m doing the research. We’ll figure it out I’m sure. Difficult to do from a distance so again, thank you for the honesty, especially about the commute. Pointing out the fact that if it rains, then traffic is compromised is helpful. We hadn’t thought of that or knew that would cause issues. Definitely looking for something closer.

So, with that said, is Richardson and/or Far North Dallas doable commutes?
Yes, they are great choices! You really want to stay south of George Bush Turnpike for a daily commute downtown. And they are not far from the Stars Club rinks either.

I also think you’re missing out by immediately focusing on the far north burbs. As we’ve continued to tell you on this thread, there is also club hockey in the Coppell / Southlake area and any of those burbs are way easier commutes into downtown than Frisco / Allen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 11:23 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
As we’ve continued to tell you on this thread, there is also club hockey in the Coppell / Southlake area and any of those burbs are way easier commutes into downtown than Frisco / Allen.
I agree you need to look at NE Tarrant/NW Dallas County. I lived in Grapevine for 20 years and loved that area. Commute south on 114 is fairly easy, and there is also the DART Rail option as well.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:37 AM

37 posts, read 48,137 times
Will add Coppell and Southlake to the list as well!

Old 02-18-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I agree you need to look at NE Tarrant/NW Dallas County. I lived in Grapevine for 20 years and loved that area. Commute south on 114 is fairly easy, and there is also the DART Rail option as well.
And will check into Grapevine as well! Thank you!

Old 02-18-2022, 11:53 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,828 times
Gee I hope those kids don't change their mind about hockey after they get here.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:43 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Quote:
And will check into Grapevine as well! Thank you!
Grapevine, the section of Hurst that’s in GCISD, Euless that’s in GCISD (76039 zip mostly) Colleyville, Coppell and Southlake are MUCH better choices than any place in Collin or Dallas County for the commute. I have been a property investor in DFW since 1988 and have owned houses in Ellis, Dallas, Collin and Tarrant Counties. And for your specifics I recommend in the Northeast Tarrant (mid-cities) area. Coppell is very well located. Coppell School District is high performing, has a strong demographic of Asian/Indian.

Old 03-03-2023, 06:35 AM

6 posts, read 2,900 times
Hi,
Followed your thread and I am planning to move to Texas near Dallas. Finally have you settled in Texas and May I know where you settled?

Quote:
Will add Coppell and Southlake to the list as well!

Old 03-03-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthi82 View Post
Hi,
Followed your thread and I am planning to move to Texas near Dallas. Finally have you settled in Texas and May I know where you settled?
Hello!

Yes, we’ve been in TX for 7 months now. After searching all over the DFW area, we decided on Colleyville and are very happy with our choice. I have learned a lot about the DFW area and would be happy to answer any questions you may have! Good luck with your move!

Old 03-06-2023, 10:02 AM

338 posts, read 299,477 times
Quote:
Hello!

Yes, we’ve been in TX for 7 months now. After searching all over the DFW area, we decided on Colleyville and are very happy with our choice. I have learned a lot about the DFW area and would be happy to answer any questions you may have! Good luck with your move!
How is your family adapting to DFW? Have kids made friends yet?
We are in MN and will move to DFW this summer. My kids play soccer, basketball, and football.
For us getting kids settled into a new state is our biggest priority. My older son is 13.
My parents moved from a wonderful place with huge family/friends and schools to a terrible city with poor schools when I was 13. I am in my 50s now and I can still vividly remember the pain and suffering.
I know that kids will enjoy outdoor time. My 13-year-old is an introvert and will start high school this fall.
Share any lessons learned so we can also benefit from your experience.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2023, 03:51 PM

22 posts, read 21,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticiam View Post
How is your family adapting to DFW? Have kids made friends yet?
We are in MN and will move to DFW this summer. My kids play soccer, basketball, and football.
For us getting kids settled into a new state is our biggest priority. My older son is 13.
My parents moved from a wonderful place with huge family/friends and schools to a terrible city with poor schools when I was 13. I am in my 50s now and I can still vividly remember the pain and suffering.
I know that kids will enjoy outdoor time. My 13-year-old is an introvert and will start high school this fall.
Share any lessons learned so we can also benefit from your experience.

Thanks
I moved in the summer of 2022 with an incoming highschooler and middle schooler.We bought a 10yr old home in plano/frisco border, yes we paid high but i didnt have much time and didnt want to rent coz we will have to move schools again which i wanted to avoid.

Kids like the school and they are in cross country & track and they like it here as well.

We both work in plano, so around 15 min commute.

Younger one has made many friends, older one is still struggling with friends as most of the girls have their group by highschool and getting into a group is hard, she is still figuring it out

Plano/Frisco is a family friendly neighborhood with good schools, so you cant go wrong there.

I didnt look anywhere else as schools and commute decided my search borders.

Had i moved few years earlier when my job gave me an option before covid, yes, we could have saved a lot but this is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas