Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Property Taxes, can't believe no one has said this one yet.
Obviously you would pay taxes on a high value property but as I recall the rates are lower than Dallas and most surrounding cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 02:12 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post
That's me. I'll let you know after we move in. I would agree with the above posters as things I perceive could be negatives. However, property taxes (while high due to the value of the homes) are low relative to the tax rate, from what I understand. Yes, there is congestion on the streets. As for peer pressure etc. ...I think it's all about who you choose to hang out with and how YOU decide to live your life.

I'll keep you all posted....

OK - report back in a year or two about this!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,758,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Obviously you would pay taxes on a high value property but as I recall the rates are lower than Dallas and most surrounding cities.
And there's a 20% homestead exemption. A $1 mil house would be taxed at $800k, 2.1/2.2%

Old 05-21-2008, 05:42 PM

>>Yes, there is congestion on the streets.<<

Around SMU and Lovers Lane gets busy, especially at the Hillcrest and Preston intersections. The residential streets are fine. I use University when I cut through in my car and it's a breeze. Mockingbird is closed, when it opens up it will help alleviate Lovers Lane. I am in that area 4 nights a week dropping my daughter off at a dance studio. I walk the neighborhoods instead of waiting in the studio. University Park is a lovely neighborhood. Snider Plaza is really a unique place. I come across many young families and lots of dog walkers when I'm walking. It's been quieter now that SMU is out for summer break.

The community pool and park is really pretty and very popular w/the residents. It looks like the pool is about to open (or maybe has already). There was a ton of kids, middle school aged, last Friday. There were bounce houses, those bungee things -it looked like there was a school picnic going on. I really think you will enjoy living there aeh.

I should bring my camera sometime and post pictures.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
The public pool is nice and they only let in Park City residents. No outsiders. You have to show ID.

Public pools in Richardson, Dallas, Plano, Allen, Frisco will let in anyone who will pay the admission fee (if any). You don't have to live there.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:24 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
The funny thing about the HP pool is that nobody who lives in HP actually uses the HP pool - it's relatives such as my friend who lives in Junius Heights and uses her mother-in-law's pool tags...

Old 05-22-2008, 06:22 AM

>> The public pool is nice and they only let in Park City residents. No outsiders. You have to show ID.<<

Right, although my dd went to the UP pool a few times last summer with her dance friends and paid $5. There's two pools - a UP pool and an HP pool ... UP residents have a pass for the UP pool, HP for the HP pool. When I lived in FL it was similar - each housing community had their own community pool. Fishhawk, which is a master planned community like the one in McKinney, only allowed it's residents to use their facilities.

Anywhoo, the OP and another poster asked specifically about UP and that's why I gave my responses since I'm in the area quiet often. It appears that whenever someone asks about UP/HP on this board, there's negative tension in the responses.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:05 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,477,862 times
Here's a small bit about someone who's family told him to move to the Park Cities:
Back Talk Lakewood/East Dallas: East Dallas visitor says this neighborhood is one of the best kept secrets in town

Old 05-22-2008, 07:09 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
>> The public pool is nice and they only let in Park City residents. No outsiders. You have to show ID.<<

Right, although my dd went to the UP pool a few times last summer with her dance friends and paid $5. There's two pools - a UP pool and an HP pool ... UP residents have a pass for the UP pool, HP for the HP pool. When I lived in FL it was similar - each housing community had their own community pool. Fishhawk, which is a master planned community like the one in McKinney, only allowed it's residents to use their facilities.

Anywhoo, the OP and another poster asked specifically about UP and that's why I gave my responses since I'm in the area quiet often. It appears that whenever someone asks about UP/HP on this board, there's negative tension in the responses.
Right, sorry, I was just talking about the UP pool on Lovers. My son went to birthday parties there. I've never been to the HP pool. It's in that really pretty park, huh?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:08 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,377 times
The UP pool is in Curtis Park on Lovers Ln. Check out uptexas dot org.

Actually, I believe the UP pool is VERY popular with UP residents and that's why there are so many houses without pools in UP because it is a huge social center in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas