Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 11:21 AM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 139,656 times

Advertisements

Anybody who's spent more than 30 minutes on a toll road in Dallas can attest to the following:

- People who have a constant need to be < 5 feet from the car in front of them, even if neighboring lanes are open (these, of course, are the ones who tell their insurance adjuster that the person in front of them who braked is at fault for the rear-end accident about to ensue)

- No matter the speed, it's just never enough in the fast lane. Multiple times I've done a little experiment - I'll move up to 83, 84, 85 ... 88, ... yet, mysteriously, the car behind is still honking and cursing me out. I'm sorry, is 18 over the speed limit just not enough for you? I usually do this en route to the 12 step recovery program I lead at my church, hoping they'll follow and come in to find healing and freedom in Christ from anger and rage. Unfortunately, nobody's followed me that far yet. They always give up after realizing they can't intimidate me to move.

- Industry data shows that, despite living in a time where 'smart' and 'self-driving' vehicles have more safety features and advances than at any point in history, we live in a time where frequency of accidents is higher than at almost any other point.

- There's always that one guy in the right lane doing 48 with nobody in front of him. Like he's paralyzed and fearful of driving on 121. Yet, there he is, on the road, not staying at home.

- That one woman who who makes sure to turn her blinker on after she's halfway into the lane she just merged into, and then turns it off 2 milliseconds later. For your benefit, of course.

- The people who just never know their exit is coming up until they need to merge 4 lanes at once in order to make it, risking death in order to save the two minutes it would take to go to the next exit and make a U-turn.

Any others I'm missing?

I know the reason for all of the above - do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 11:52 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,055,793 times
Agree. Next time you go to the store, look around and see how many people are looking at their phones while driving

Old 03-08-2022, 12:22 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
- No matter the speed, it's just never enough in the fast lane. Multiple times I've done a little experiment - I'll move up to 83, 84, 85 ... 88, ... yet, mysteriously, the car behind is still honking and cursing me out. I'm sorry, is 18 over the speed limit just not enough for you? I usually do this en route to the 12 step recovery program I lead at my church, hoping they'll follow and come in to find healing and freedom in Christ from anger and rage. Unfortunately, nobody's followed me that far yet. They always give up after realizing they can't intimidate me to move.?
There's no such thing as a fast lane. There's a passing lane, but that's not the same thing. So long as you are actively passing, you are going fast enough. If you aren't actively passing, you shouldn't be in the lane.

But I do see drivers regularly who get on your a** even though someone else is in front of you, preventing you from going any faster. It's quite frustrating.

The worst, though, are people who tailgate you even if you are in the middle lane and there are other lanes they could easily pass in. I read a study a while back that said the obesity epidemic is making parents worse at judging whether their kid is overweight or not. Evidently, researchers have conducted this study over decades, and parents are much more likely now to judge a picture of an obese kid as being normal becuase that is what they see a lot. Anyway, I think these drivers have something similar going on. They've tailgated long enough that it just looks like a proper distance to them.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:30 PM

417 posts, read 601,153 times
The usual bad driver accusations aside, I think the combination of new residents from all over the country bringing their hodge-podge of incongruous driving habits + DFWs lack of proper signage and weird interpretation of merging ramps/lanes are partly to blame.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:32 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Drivers in DFW are so bad and I don't really understand why. When you drive an hour out of town, driving habits are totally different.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:13 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,055,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Drivers in DFW are so bad and I don't really understand why. When you drive an hour out of town, driving habits are totally different.
Very true

Old 03-08-2022, 03:25 PM

122 posts, read 173,984 times
For the moving over 4 lanes all at once -- I sometimes have to do it. I really don't like it, but there's just no way that I could know it earlier to manage the lane change, especially when it's a new place I'm going to.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:54 PM

36 posts, read 73,493 times
Could be much worse. If you think Dallas is bad, you should go check out Houston.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:18 PM

149 posts, read 147,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple44 View Post
For the moving over 4 lanes all at once -- I sometimes have to do it. I really don't like it, but there's just no way that I could know it earlier to manage the lane change, especially when it's a new place I'm going to.
No, you do not have to do it. You go down to the next exit and then make a U-turn.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:55 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,088,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
An hour out of what town? "DFW" is not a town.

I often wonder whether there is any driver besides myself in north Texas who never uses highways or toll roads? Am I the only one? Why aren't more people scared of them?

I don't care where you go. People drive too fast. If I had my way, every single driver who ever exceeded the speed limit or failed to yield properly would be ticketed every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas