Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 09:26 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifew552 View Post
Could be much worse. If you think Dallas is bad, you should go check out Houston.
Ha. I was just in Dallas this weekend, drivers aren't much different in Houston. Texas drivers are something else in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 06:27 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
- No matter the speed, it's just never enough in the fast lane. Multiple times I've done a little experiment - I'll move up to 83, 84, 85 ... 88, ... yet, mysteriously, the car behind is still honking and cursing me out. I'm sorry, is 18 over the speed limit just not enough for you? I usually do this en route to the 12 step recovery program I lead at my church, hoping they'll follow and come in to find healing and freedom in Christ from anger and rage. Unfortunately, nobody's followed me that far yet. They always give up after realizing they can't intimidate me to move.

- There's always that one guy in the right lane doing 48 with nobody in front of him. Like he's paralyzed and fearful of driving on 121. Yet, there he is, on the road, not staying at home.
At the same time you brag about sitting in the left lane, you complain about someone sitting in the left lane. The ONLY difference... you're going faster than one, but slower than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
There's no such thing as a fast lane. There's a passing lane, but that's not the same thing. So long as you are actively passing, you are going fast enough. If you aren't actively passing, you shouldn't be in the lane.
^^^ This this this a million times this ^^^.

Stay out of the left lane. Pass, then move back to the right. There is no "I'm going fast enough, so there" reward. You're going 88? Great, until the guy going 89 wants to pass, AND YOU'RE BLOCKING THE PASSING LANE.

Attached Thumbnails
Driver behavior fascinates me - how about you?-sign-left-lane-passing-only.jpg  

Old 03-09-2022, 07:41 AM

772 posts, read 935,184 times
Dallas may seem to have bad drivers (every major city has its problems with traffic) but the worst drivers in the US are found in FL. Period.

I've seen multiple occasions where a car is overturned on the side of the road in FL... on a perfectly straight stretch of road, with perfect weather conditions. I've never seen that anywhere in TX. But what do you expect from the state that brings you "Florida Man..."

Old 03-09-2022, 08:04 AM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 139,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
At the same time you brag about sitting in the left lane, you complain about someone sitting in the left lane. The ONLY difference... you're going faster than one, but slower than the other.

^^^ This this this a million times this ^^^.

Stay out of the left lane. Pass, then move back to the right. There is no "I'm going fast enough, so there" reward. You're going 88? Great, until the guy going 89 wants to pass, AND YOU'RE BLOCKING THE PASSING LANE.

Were you the woman screaming at me at the top of her lungs behind me?

1) There's no sign anywhere along the route I take on 121 stating the left lane is a passing lane.

2) There are, however, multiple signs stating the speed limit is 70. You don't get to drive 141 and then when the cop pulls you over claim 'it's a passing lane!'

Old 03-09-2022, 08:06 AM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 139,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
An hour out of what town? "DFW" is not a town.

I often wonder whether there is any driver besides myself in north Texas who never uses highways or toll roads? Am I the only one? Why aren't more people scared of them?

I don't care where you go. People drive too fast. If I had my way, every single driver who ever exceeded the speed limit or failed to yield properly would be ticketed every time.
You should run for mayor on that platform and see how many votes you get.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:18 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:

1) There's no sign anywhere along the route I take on 121 stating the left lane is a passing lane.

2) There are, however, multiple signs stating the speed limit is 70. You don't get to drive 141 and then when the cop pulls you over claim 'it's a passing lane!'
In order...

No

Doesn't matter

Never said that

Old 03-09-2022, 08:29 AM

379 posts, read 366,314 times
These treads are so tiresome. It's amazing that people always highlight the same behaviors in all city forums but proclaim them to be unique to their city. Then someone chimes in about how the drivers in their regional rival are actually worse.

I've driven here my entire life and if you have people screaming at you, tailgating you, and cursing at you on a regular basis, you need to spend more time examining your own driving habits instead of those around you.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:05 AM

5,838 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:

It's state law -- no sign is needed. The sign is a courtesy, nothing more.

It is illegal to drive in the left lane of a multi-lane highway if you aren't passing. The fact that you are going the speed limit doesn't change this.

No one is arguing that being in a passing lane absolves them of the legal risk of speeding. But that doesn't mean you get to drive in the passing lane if you aren't passing, regardless of your speed.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:07 AM

5,838 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
These treads are so tiresome. It's amazing that people always highlight the same behaviors in all city forums but proclaim them to be unique to their city. Then someone chimes in about how the drivers in their regional rival are actually worse.

I've driven here my entire life and if you have people screaming at you, tailgating you, and cursing at you on a regular basis, you need to spend more time examining your own driving habits instead of those around you.
This is so true. I've lived in three states and six metro areas in those states. One constant in every place has been that everyone there thought they had the worst drivers around, and they always blamed it on the transplants.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:08 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,191,828 times
George Carlin's observation from many years still holds true: Anyone going slower than you is an "idiot." and anyone going faster than you is a "maniac."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas