Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 09:28 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
Anybody who's spent more than 30 minutes on a toll road in Dallas can attest to the following:

- People who have a constant need to be < 5 feet from the car in front of them, even if neighboring lanes are open (these, of course, are the ones who tell their insurance adjuster that the person in front of them who braked is at fault for the rear-end accident about to ensue)

- No matter the speed, it's just never enough in the fast lane. Multiple times I've done a little experiment - I'll move up to 83, 84, 85 ... 88, ... yet, mysteriously, the car behind is still honking and cursing me out. I'm sorry, is 18 over the speed limit just not enough for you? I usually do this en route to the 12 step recovery program I lead at my church, hoping they'll follow and come in to find healing and freedom in Christ from anger and rage. Unfortunately, nobody's followed me that far yet. They always give up after realizing they can't intimidate me to move.

- Industry data shows that, despite living in a time where 'smart' and 'self-driving' vehicles have more safety features and advances than at any point in history, we live in a time where frequency of accidents is higher than at almost any other point.

- There's always that one guy in the right lane doing 48 with nobody in front of him. Like he's paralyzed and fearful of driving on 121. Yet, there he is, on the road, not staying at home.

- That one woman who who makes sure to turn her blinker on after she's halfway into the lane she just merged into, and then turns it off 2 milliseconds later. For your benefit, of course.

- The people who just never know their exit is coming up until they need to merge 4 lanes at once in order to make it, risking death in order to save the two minutes it would take to go to the next exit and make a U-turn.

Any others I'm missing?

I know the reason for all of the above - do you?
IF you're in the left lane and you're not passing, please move over.

Now, to chime on, I hate the guy/gal that speeds up just to cut in front of you, and then stay there. Despite the fact there's three relatively empty lanes. You're in a hurry to get in front of me, but not in a hurry after that?

Texting while driving, especially on the highway. You will kill yourself or even worse, somebody else one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 06:35 AM

922 posts, read 1,112,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifew552 View Post
Could be much worse. If you think Dallas is bad, you should go check out Houston.

When my husband drives our family through Houston (because I refuse to do it) I literally put my hands over my eyes and pray as fervently as I can for us to not be killed by the INSANE drivers. I grew up going to Mexico and Vegas and those people have nothing on Houston drivers.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:08 PM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 139,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
These treads are so tiresome. It's amazing that people always highlight the same behaviors in all city forums but proclaim them to be unique to their city. Then someone chimes in about how the drivers in their regional rival are actually worse.

I've driven here my entire life and if you have people screaming at you, tailgating you, and cursing at you on a regular basis, you need to spend more time examining your own driving habits instead of those around you.
Why do I need to spend more time examining my own habits? The fact other people are idiots no matter where they live simply means there are a ton of idiots.

Or, spoken in logical terms, your appeal to popularity is a logical fallacy.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:15 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Why do I need to spend more time examining my own habits? The fact other people are idiots no matter where they live simply means there are a ton of idiots.

Excellent deflections but no. The other guy is right. If you are being screamed at, tailgated, honked at, shown the finger or whatever regularly you are an outlier and causing most of the troubles noted. That's just reality.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:31 AM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 139,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Excellent deflections but no. The other guy is right. If you are being screamed at, tailgated, honked at, shown the finger or whatever regularly you are an outlier and causing most of the troubles noted. That's just reality.
Simply repeating the exact same thing you already said doesn't add anything to the conversation or do anything to refute my points.

Again, appealing to popularity is a logical fallacy, not reality.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:37 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:

Quote:
Actually, it's not a fallacy in this case. An argumentum ad populum happens when someone is arguing that something is true/better/correct just because it is widely believed to be true/better/correct. That's not the same thing as saying "If you are having this many people respond to you in a certain way, you're probably doing something wrong." It's an inductive argument, and it's prone to all of the weaknesses of induction, but it isn't fallacious.

Imagine someone said "Every time I approach a woman to try to get her number, she calls the police on me." Wouldn't it be reasonable for someone to respond with "Well, if every woman you interact with calls the police on you, you're probably doing something wrong"?

That's not an appeal to popular belief; it's just an observation that the response you are getting is very unlikely to happen time and again if you are behaving within certain norms.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Simply repeating the exact same thing you already said doesn't add anything to the conversation or do anything to refute my points.

Double fail.

1. I'm appealing to reality. You are hiding behind word games.

2. The above was my first post in this thread........I repeated nothing.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:09 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
What if most of us are also saying those same things, and pointing out the "error of your ways"?

Does THAT add anything?

Old 03-17-2022, 08:31 PM

35 posts, read 30,874 times
Default Get a grip

This thread is going weird. Given all the issues in the world and the potential for worse, please take deep breath and chill. Understand and agree North TX is a great place to be. Also agree drivers are crazy and need to be addressed, no excuse for unfriendly attitudes and dangerous driving out there. Really surprised there has not been a class action lawsuit against Ford (Mustang), GM (Camaro), and Dodge (Charger/Challenger) for negligence - no different than recent ones against Ruger or Smith & Wesson on firearms. All are producing proven deadly products, but I see more stupid drivers threatening me and others with high HP cars than guns now.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredintx View Post
This thread is going weird. Given all the issues in the world and the potential for worse, please take deep breath and chill. Understand and agree North TX is a great place to be. Also agree drivers are crazy and need to be addressed, no excuse for unfriendly attitudes and dangerous driving out there. Really surprised there has not been a class action lawsuit against Ford (Mustang), GM (Camaro), and Dodge (Charger/Challenger) for negligence - no different than recent ones against Ruger or Smith & Wesson on firearms. All are producing proven deadly products, but I see more stupid drivers threatening me and others with high HP cars than guns now.
No sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas