Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:37 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,643 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to the Dallas area and while we are house hunting were thinking of renting so we can get to know the area, etc. But we are concerned that if we have to sign a one year lease that we will find a house much sooner than one year and then we will be stuck in a lease. Does anyone know the law about this and if we can get out early? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:28 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
My wife and I are moving to the Dallas area and while we are house hunting were thinking of renting so we can get to know the area, etc. But we are concerned that if we have to sign a one year lease that we will find a house much sooner than one year and then we will be stuck in a lease. Does anyone know the law about this and if we can get out early? Thanks!!!
Typically, you just pay a penalty to break a lease. As long as you pay, everything is fine.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 AM

14 posts, read 49,484 times
All I know is we moved cross country a couple months ago to north dallas and are in similar circumstances. Not sure where you are coming from but good luck getting out of a lease early. We rented from a large property management company here in Dallas (don't get me started on them!) and when we went to sign our lease it was eye opening to the landlord/tenant laws in Texas. Your only hope if you need to get out early is to have someone else assume your lease. Then you can pay a small fee and get out early. We decided just to stay planted for the 1 year. Good luck to ya

Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
You will lose your deposit and the landlord can sue you for the rent due until he is able to lease it again. Now the law requires the landlord to make a reasonable effort to get it re-leased ASAP. I think some leases also have re-letting fees. Also most leases prohibit sub-leasing.

Better to find a shorter lease - sometimes an individual will do that..but it's not too great for the landlord, so be prepared. Also the rental market in my area is very strong, I don't think there would be as many owners willing to make that kind of arrangement.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:47 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,425 times
I was in Property Management. It depends on the property and the lease contract you sign. Most will have a lease termination clause and state how much it will cost you to break the lease. In most cases it is one months rent. But in some it may be a bit higher(mine is 1500) because they try to discourage it. Now you don't necessarily have to sign for one year, find a property that is offering short term leases 3, 6, 7 months. Also you can get a month to month but the rent will be really higher in those cases.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,506 times
There are quite a few places that offer shorter lease terms, often you can do a 3 or 6 month lease. There are also places that will let you go month to month, but its costs extra.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:51 PM

CALIGURL,
Thanks for the info. So what happens to your deposit? Lets say you have a deposit of $2200 and then you have an lease termination clause of 1500. If you leave early do you lose your deposit and have to pay $1500 as well?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:15 PM

I would imagine. Think of what the landlord has to go through to get it rented again -- losing a month or two of rent, repainting, carpet cleaning, changing the locks (this can cost a couple of hundred dollars), advertising, etc.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Lake,
No offense but I'm not looking for "I would imagine" answers. I'm well aware what a landlord would have to go through. Keeping the $2200 deposit should cover most of their tempory expenses but if there is an early termination fee on top of that then it is what is is. But I'm looking for concrete answers.

Imagine where I'm coming from. If we move there and start renting and then 3 months go by and we find the perfect house we want to buy but can't do anything because we are stuck in a 1 year lease. Then giving up our deposit of $2200 + some early termination fee up to the amount of 1 month of rent? So we would be out of pocket $4400! Ouch.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Well you could lease out your perfect house until your lease expires. Then you will not have to imagine what a landlord puts up with for a short lease term. Would you give your tenants such easy terms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas