Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 10:04 AM
SyZ

151 posts, read 137,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
I believe that "kiddo" has been around for about a hundred years and has nothing to do with North Dallas.
Never heard it in CA.

Can I make up new words too?

From now on, I want everyone to refer to children as childrendo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 10:07 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
Since when did 'kid' become 'kiddo'?

I get nicknames and shortening terms and names, but this just adds 'do' for some reason.

North Dallas culture will never make sense to me.
According to dictionary.com, the first use of the word “kiddo” was in 1905.

And I’m going to guess the origin point was not North Dallas since ND didn’t exist back then

Old 03-14-2022, 10:32 AM

23 posts, read 52,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBlueGin View Post
Question for the group: does anyone have any clue as to the share of kids waitlisted versus denied at the schools? (SM, Hockaday, GH, ESD). I have no sense what it really means to be waitlisted versus straight up denied. PK and K level specifically
Admissions staff will probably simply say a waitlist decision means you were accepted based on your merits but because of limited class size, not every qualified candidate can be accepted… which is kinda BS given that it sort of implies randomness to who was admitted. In reality, it may mean that your application had no fatal flaws (like a bad teacher evaluation) and you didn’t totally blow it during school visits/interviews.

I don’t have much in the way of direct knowledge. Parish reports on their website that there were 75 on last year’s waitpool for freshmen on a class of about 105 (if I recall correctly). If you scale that down to the smaller PK/K class size, that may give you a sense. I think there are probably some yield differences (guessing a higher % of acceptances sign on at younger ages) and also varying levels of inflexibility with class sizes (guessing less tolerance for big class size swings, making admissions staff less willing to overadmit at the PK/K level based on assumed yield rates). So… all that to say… I don’t know much, but based on what little I know, bet you could take previous year’s class size and multiply by about 70% and that’s roughly your waitpool size.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:28 PM

11 posts, read 26,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerGuy84 View Post
Admissions staff will probably simply say a waitlist decision means you were accepted based on your merits but because of limited class size, not every qualified candidate can be accepted… which is kinda BS given that it sort of implies randomness to who was admitted. In reality, it may mean that your application had no fatal flaws (like a bad teacher evaluation) and you didn’t totally blow it during school visits/interviews.

I don’t have much in the way of direct knowledge. Parish reports on their website that there were 75 on last year’s waitpool for freshmen on a class of about 105 (if I recall correctly). If you scale that down to the smaller PK/K class size, that may give you a sense. I think there are probably some yield differences (guessing a higher % of acceptances sign on at younger ages) and also varying levels of inflexibility with class sizes (guessing less tolerance for big class size swings, making admissions staff less willing to overadmit at the PK/K level based on assumed yield rates). So… all that to say… I don’t know much, but based on what little I know, bet you could take previous year’s class size and multiply by about 70% and that’s roughly your waitpool size.
This is really useful, thank you!

Old 03-14-2022, 02:32 PM

4,208 posts, read 2,411,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
According to dictionary.com, the first use of the word “kiddo” was in 1905.

And I’m going to guess the origin point was not North Dallas since ND didn’t exist back then
North Dallas absolutely existed in 1905; it was just in a different place. (Peak and Haskell, for example)

"Kiddo" on the other hand has been part of American vernacular speech for generations.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,739 times
Any news on movement on GH waitlist or is too early?

Old 03-14-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citymom2020 View Post
Any news on movement on GH waitlist or is too early?
All schools are closed for spring break this week. And everyone has until the 25th to respond (accept, decline, remain on waitlist) so you won’t hear anything until the week after that - if there is even any WL movement for your grade.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,929 times
Question on waitlist. Specifically 5th grade since it’s an expansion year so do you see more movement? Or should you give up hope? Greenhill, Cistercian, SMS…

Old 03-14-2022, 09:56 PM

23 posts, read 52,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A5MO View Post
Question on waitlist. Specifically 5th grade since it’s an expansion year so do you see more movement? Or should you give up hope? Greenhill, Cistercian, SMS…
Basically, Waitpool acceptances require one of 3 things:
1) Someone accepted moves away
2) someone accepted decides to go the public school route
3) someone accepted was also accepted to another private that they prefer

I’m sure you can imagine, the first 2 routes aren’t super common or predictable (though they do happen). I’m also sure you can imagine that the specific schools you mentioned tend to be higher on the pecking order for people. In other words, there would, seemingly, be fewer people that would be accepted to Greenhill and decide to go a different route than, a lower prestige school like, say, Trinity Christian or Covenant.

There’s the added twist that schools try to maintain a certain profile balance. So, if a green female that’s musically gifted declines an admission, they’ll look for a green female violin player in their waitpool to replace her…

All that to say, you can take a peek at the previous years’ private school admission threads on this forum. As I recall, a few people reported WL admissions, but not much.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerGuy84 View Post
Basically, Waitpool acceptances require one of 3 things:
1) Someone accepted moves away
2) someone accepted decides to go the public school route
3) someone accepted was also accepted to another private that they prefer

I’m sure you can imagine, the first 2 routes aren’t super common or predictable (though they do happen). I’m also sure you can imagine that the specific schools you mentioned tend to be higher on the pecking order for people. In other words, there would, seemingly, be fewer people that would be accepted to Greenhill and decide to go a different route than, a lower prestige school like, say, Trinity Christian or Covenant.

There’s the added twist that schools try to maintain a certain profile balance. So, if a green female that’s musically gifted declines an admission, they’ll look for a green female violin player in their waitpool to replace her….
Lurker, you’re close but not quite….the schools know their historical yields (that is, the percent of students offered admission who accept, by grade level) and extend admissions to an appropriate number of students in order to fill their classes. So one (or a few) family deciding to stick with public school or accepting at another private does not mean there are open sports in the class. The schools are not counting on 100% of the admits actually accepting.

Now, I don’t know what that actually looks like by grade level but for an example, a school like Greenhill might know that they need to offer 38 Kinder spots to fill the 32 spots. Some admitted families will prefer to take spots at Hockaday, Lamplighter or other schools. So it would take more than the historical average of 6 spots declined before GH had to move to the waitlist. Then, as you said they need to rebalance for gender and other traits. So if they end up with 15 boys and 16 girls, the school would only look at the boys on the waitlist to fill the open boy spot.

Or in some cases, a school might decide to not fill the class to capacity or to instead evaluate a handful of late applications received from families who are transferring from independent schools in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas