Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 04:41 AM

12 posts, read 10,597 times

Advertisements

I want to open a savings account (and maybe a safety deposit box) in Dallas Fort Worth. I also want one that is relatively off the grid. Are there any brick and mortar banks that allow me to deposit, store, and withdraw money safely in person without having a heavy online presence.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 06:26 AM

537 posts, read 450,950 times
There are lots of great community banks in the DFW area. You do not have to use online or mobile banking if you do not feel comfortable with it. All banks have security requirements for their own internal systems. Nothing is 100% safe. I might say a smaller bank is safer only because larger banks are bigger targets for hackers. Personally, I use online banking only from my secure home computer. I have a debit card, but I never use it. If I need cash I go to a branch bank to get it. For other purchases I use a credit card and pay it off monthly.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:59 AM

227 posts, read 223,402 times
Try credit unions like RBFCU

Old 03-18-2022, 10:33 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,193,247 times
Realize that many (most?) banks do not "allow" you to store cash or precious metals in a safe deposit box. Make sure you read their agreements carefully before you do. Obviously you could sneak such stuff in there but there are risks.

Also I can't understand how you would have a bank that is "off the grid?" All banks use power and computers and as far as I know clear checks through the federal reserve. If you want to make cash deposits and withdrawals any bank can do that. Just remember rules about reporting large cash transactions to fed gov. You will attract less attention depositing a $20,000 check than depositing 200 $100 bills.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:18 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
Realize that many (most?) banks do not "allow" you to store cash or precious metals in a safe deposit box. Make sure you read their agreements carefully before you do. Obviously you could sneak such stuff in there but there are risks.

Also I can't understand how you would have a bank that is "off the grid?" All banks use power and computers and as far as I know clear checks through the federal reserve. If you want to make cash deposits and withdrawals any bank can do that. Just remember rules about reporting large cash transactions to fed gov. You will attract less attention depositing a $20,000 check than depositing 200 $100 bills.

OP (I'm guessing) has an influx of cash that is potentially subject to taxes....or would be hard to explain if deposited.

Personally, I'd keep the money in a safe at my own residence....maybe in a closet or somewhere that no one else would immediately look in my house. Go to a smaller/private bank and get a safe deposit box. Put some cash in there (not too much, maybe a few thousand) and then install a small camera or something within the box that lets you know if anyone is checking it without your consent. Put more $$$ in the box as you become more confident of the money's security. I'd still avoid putting all my eggs in one basket. Depending on how much, you may need to put the cash/jewels etc., in several different places.

Old 03-19-2022, 02:28 PM

319 posts, read 229,048 times
What is an "off the grid" bank? A shady, non federally compliant bank? or do you mean a non-chain type retail bank? Or do you mean a rural bank?

Old 03-21-2022, 09:37 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
What is an "off the grid" bank? A shady, non federally compliant bank? or do you mean a non-chain type retail bank? Or do you mean a rural bank?
Not to spark a debate or anything but there's plenty of shady stuff going on even in federally compliant banks.

Old 03-22-2022, 09:13 AM

81 posts, read 93,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw81 View Post
I want to open a savings account (and maybe a safety deposit box) in Dallas Fort Worth. I also want one that is relatively off the grid. Are there any brick and mortar banks that allow me to deposit, store, and withdraw money safely in person without having a heavy online presence.

Thanks!
You need Inwood Vaults.

https://www.inwoodvaults.com/

Complete anonymity. No ID required to open an 'account', you can pay w/ cash. No electronic records.

*I have zero affiliation with them. Just seen in the lobby of our Pediatrician's office building that has very little traffic. Most people probably don't even know it exists.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:57 AM

122 posts, read 174,056 times
Maybe google banks for the cannabis and marijuana businesses?

Cannabis and marijuana businesses are "illegal" for federal law purposes, but they are legal in a few states. Cannabis and marijuana producers/distributors/retailers have banking needs, just like any other business, and some local banks have been willing to take the risk of serving them, even though big banks won't.

If you are looking for banks that aren't necessarily compliant with federal laws (not necessarily breaking them either) and willing to take risks and serve certain types of clients, then try these.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:01 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
I thought it meant a mattress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas