Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 06:39 AM

13 posts, read 8,523 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Hubby is transferring for work to Garland. We've been trying to research areas to live and so far have come up with the following:

W or NW Plano
Seems like beautiful homes, but older. Not really wanting to do renovations, so would need to be somewhat updated

W Allen
Homes i've seen online seem fairly new and updated

McKinney (McKinney Boyd area, not N Mckinney)
Lots of newer updated homes.....worried about commute time.

Budget 500-650K (Would like a pool)

Any other areas to look at? Really want to keep the commute time as less as possible. We have one high schooler, so good school also wanted.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 06:53 AM

772 posts, read 937,052 times
For a job in Garland, you're on the right track, Plano or Richardson would be best, as well as Murphy (which can be zoned for Plano schools.) Allen or McKinney is more of a commute than I'd want to deal with.

Murphy will have newer homes but perhaps not in your budget. The way prices have increased around here, a $500k house used to have a pool, almost guaranteed... but that was 5 years ago and now that home is $800-900k.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:55 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,089,834 times
I can't speak to the schools, but Wylie and Sachse may be places to consider. Inventory is going to be a bigger problem than price. Be prepared. Bidding wars are probably going to ensue within hours on what few homes are there, and they'll be gone before you can find them. You may need to be willing to bypass inspection and waive appraisal, and you may be competing with cash buyers.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I can't speak to the schools, but Wylie and Sachse may be places to consider. Inventory is going to be a bigger problem than price. Be prepared. Bidding wars are probably going to ensue within hours on what few homes are there, and they'll be gone before you can find them. You may need to be willing to bypass inspection and waive appraisal, and you may be competing with cash buyers.
I am definetly worried about this. With the relo package we have a year to find a home with the included benefits of the package. The plan is for hubby to stay in corporate housing and the family stay here and not sell our home until we have found one there.

I'll look into the areas you mentioned. Any opinions on Murphy? From what i've seen online, its more rural but seems like it has newer homes and good schools.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:37 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Where in Garland? It is a fairly spread-out city. if his job is in north Garland, then Plano, Richardson or Murphy will be good. If it's in south Garland, you'll want to look at Rockwall or maybe Sunnyvale.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Where in Garland? It is a fairly spread-out city. if his job is in north Garland, then Plano, Richardson or Murphy will be good. If it's in south Garland, you'll want to look at Rockwall or maybe Sunnyvale.
Looks like just west..close to the police department

Old 02-14-2022, 08:59 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
West Garland...then you need to look at Richardson, Wylie, Sachse, Murphy, and Rowlett. The Firewheel area of Garland (Naaman Forest HS) may also work well for you.

Take Allen and McKinney off your list. That commute would be horrible.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:00 AM

238 posts, read 172,534 times
Murphy is not rural, if comparing to Allen, Plano, or McKinney. Based on Garland location, I agree that Plano, Richardson, and Murphy is what you are looking for.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:34 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2TX22 View Post
Looks like just west..close to the police department
Murphy or the North Garland / Firewheel area. Then fan out to Wylie / Rowlett if you need to.

Allen / McKinney too far, bad commute.

Personally, I would add Richardson to your list but it’s an established suburb with homes from the 1950-1960’s so probably not what you’re looking for. Fantastic schools though!

Old 02-14-2022, 09:37 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Firewheel area in North Garland. PLano or North Richardson in Canyon Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas