Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:44 PM

251 posts, read 1,531,974 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in becoming an entrepreneur but like most am on a budget.I thought to myself what business would be the least risk as in 'it would work well' with a budget of about 30k-50k.If i had the money i would open up a franchise name like subway but i guess that won't be possible yet.I was thinking an ice cream shop but unsure what would be the total cost.I also thought about Metro PCS phones.Maybe my own sub-shop?Location wise would be on 544 in wylie where all the new construction is happening.Anyone have any thought on this subject or maybe have a suggestion of your own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM

155 posts, read 373,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzstyle00 View Post
I'm interested in becoming an entrepreneur but like most am on a budget.I thought to myself what business would be the least risk as in 'it would work well' with a budget of about 30k-50k.If i had the money i would open up a franchise name like subway but i guess that won't be possible yet.I was thinking an ice cream shop but unsure what would be the total cost.I also thought about Metro PCS phones.Maybe my own sub-shop?Location wise would be on 544 in wylie where all the new construction is happening.Anyone have any thought on this subject or maybe have a suggestion of your own?
I recommend putting your 30-50k in savings or an index fund.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Being a bit familiar w/ many of the sub shops I'd say, NO!!!!! Not only, NO but H E L L NO!!!! Do you know how many have sold in the last few years? Had to sell back to the franchise or got taken over by them. Have you seen how dead some of them are while other places are MUCH busier? We have several as customers and trust me........... not the best managed. Of all "food" type businesses that we serve they are THE WORST! They also use less product(s) than any other type "food" based business. Want to know the better ones: Chick-Fil-A is TOPS! And closed on Sunday. But drive by them morning, noon, afternoon, evening the other 6 days ... PACKED!!! They are run very well too. From my side it looks as if the head operation pays all of their bills. So the franchise owner must send in their invoices & statements and payment and they write the check to the vendors. McDonalds would be better than a sub shop of ANY kind. I can't think of any other "food" based franchise business I would own. Dickey's is pretty good as well. As for the ice cream idea.... many Baskin-Robbins franchise owners closed up several years back due to restraints being put on them by the corporation making it totally unprofitable.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
You could search franchises by googling the type or the name of the company. Most companies will have basic franchise information on their website but there are some franchise websites that list all of them in one place.

Your non-borrowed personal resources and your overall net worth will dictate whether or not you can even consider certain franchises. For example, I'm opening a franchise and the franchise fee of $35K was just the tip of the iceberg. It will cost approximately $300K to get the store open.

Now with that said, I know that the Murphy Marketplace has attracted some companies that would like to be a part of the center but don't currently have franchisees. I believe that Steve Ewing with Staubach Retail would be able to connect you with these companies so you could find out more about what types of businesses and investments are there.

PM me if you'd like more info.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:20 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
I like Wich Wich - it's always busy at Northpark and it's a much better sandwich than a sub shop. But I'm not familiar with your location - it may/not fit your demographic.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,879 times
I think an ice cream shop can work. If it is in the right location. Like Paciugos in Northpark mall. There's always a line of people when I'm there...

However, it seems that opening up even a tiny place costs many hundred thousands $$$. I'm amazed how expensive starting a business in a mall is. A $50k budget will probably not get you into a prime location.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:42 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Wich Wich is good. In malls most of these places do well but they have a "trapped consumer" in many ways that the guy in a strip center does not. As for the location, there is a Baskin-Robbins in Murphy just down the road on 544 down from the Mexican food restaurant. Across the street in the Albertsons center there is a Deli of sorts (the name escapes me at the moment) that serves burgers, blue plate lunch specials, gyros, breakfast, etc. Small but BUSY!!!! I'd visit w/ lots of owners of other franchises before I did ANYTHING! See how they have been for at least 5 years.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
If you really go with an ice cream shop... Sheridan's Frozen Custart is always packed and the closest one is in Frisco and other one in Cedar Hill... It's always a hit and not priced too bad either.

Sheridan's Lattes & Frozen Custard: Franchise Information

Naima

Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I had a friend who had a few franchise locations. He had to put a camera on the cash register because so many employees were stealing from him.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
As for the location, there is a Baskin-Robbins in Murphy just down the road on 544 down from the Mexican food restaurant. Across the street in the Albertsons center there is a Deli of sorts (the name escapes me at the moment) that serves burgers, blue plate lunch specials, gyros, breakfast, etc. Small but BUSY!!!! I'd visit w/ lots of owners of other franchises before I did ANYTHING! See how they have been for at least 5 years.
BR is packed regularly. And attracts from west Wylie as well as Murphy.

And the restaurant you are referring to is Deno's. We just got back from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas