Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 09:05 AM
SyZ

151 posts, read 137,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
Most people on here stick to facts and evidence instead of invectives
The foolishness spewing from unbelievers isn't limited to the 'religion and spirituality' forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 10:32 AM

77 posts, read 83,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murby View Post
I have a very wealthy friend who sent both of her daughters to Christian schools. Very high end, very expensive. This is a family with a net worth in excess of $20 million.

The daughters are both in their 20's and they are both dumb as farm animals. Fortunately for them, they are attractive to look at.. but stupid as can be.

Christian schools don't teach science, they teach religion.. if you want them to grow up stupid, a Christian school is a good start.
What schools were those?

You use 'very' pretty loosely on wealth then quantify it with a number that, while it is a big number to some, is paltry to others. There are families moving here from the coasts (Fortress Capital and Goldman for example) that are buying $20million dollar homes that wouldn't take your friend on as a client.

Old 03-30-2022, 11:37 AM

300 posts, read 280,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnedutch View Post
What schools were those?

You use 'very' pretty loosely on wealth then quantify it with a number that, while it is a big number to some, is paltry to others. There are families moving here from the coasts (Fortress Capital and Goldman for example) that are buying $20million dollar homes that wouldn't take your friend on as a client.
This is the point you took out of that response?

Old 03-30-2022, 11:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,095,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
We have boys so Ursuline and Hockaday are out. We are Episcopalian, so ESD and Parish would be top of my list for that reason alone. However, both of these schools are now very liberal IMO. Although at the same point TCA, PCA and Covenant could be too legalistic for my tastes. The others are farther than we want to go distance wise. John Paul II is fairly close to our home. I just do not know how it would be for our kids to attend a Roman Catholic school not being Roman Catholic.
All I can contribute to this thread is to say that there is a small but very vocal number of families at ESD who do not believe the school is meeting their expectations for a private Christian school, specifically one that aligns with Republican Jesus.

Some of those families did decide to apply out this year, namely to TCA and Covenant. I know two families leaving for TCA. So based on all that, my guess is that TCA and Covenant would be the closest match to not wanting to sacrifice too much in academics to move to a more conservative environment.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:58 PM

77 posts, read 83,623 times
Quote:
This is the point you took out of that response?
I was trying to get the answer to the school question. There are only a few "very expensive" and "very elite" schools. Point was to find out the "very" portion when I thought it seemed to be overly used in the post.

Also, to state that faith based schools don't teach science is just plain wrong in every sense.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:00 PM

311 posts, read 361,187 times
My nephews attended TCA and then switched to JPII for ninth. The nephews have enjoyed their time at JPII. The parents are Methodist and rarely attend church.

TCA appears a bit more rigorous academically (1283 avg SAT), smaller classes and is more fundamentalist Christian. JPII is largely Catholic and one nephew said a lot of students go to Arkansas but also Collin College, A&M and TX Tech. Both have solid school spirit and offer plenty of APs. TCA seems better funded but also costs more -- in between ESD and Jesuit. I've heard it said that TCA has a feeling of top 1% wealth with regular Watermark church attendance.

https://resources.finalsite.net/imag...leFall2021.pdf

Old 04-02-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taub201 View Post
My nephews attended TCA and then switched to JPII for ninth. The nephews have enjoyed their time at JPII. The parents are Methodist and rarely attend church.

TCA appears a bit more rigorous academically (1283 avg SAT), smaller classes and is more fundamentalist Christian. JPII is largely Catholic and one nephew said a lot of students go to Arkansas but also Collin College, A&M and TX Tech. Both have solid school spirit and offer plenty of APs. TCA seems better funded but also costs more -- in between ESD and Jesuit. I've heard it said that TCA has a feeling of top 1% wealth with regular Watermark church attendance.

https://resources.finalsite.net/imag...leFall2021.pdf
Rarely attending Church seems like it wouldn’t play over well at TCA.

I’m surprised about Collin being on there (and Tech frankly). The Catholic schools seem to lag behind the Episcopal schools and secular privates in terms of highly selective college matriculation. My theory is that a little bit of self-selection at play — the Catholic school families that I know didn’t really have the Ivy bug and were content with UT, A&M, SMU, and TCU with OU or Arkansas as a fallback option, even with kids who had the aptitude/drive to compete for more elite schools. There are also probably more families at Catholic schools who consider scholarship money to be a determinative factor with the Catholic schools having lower tuition and more financial aid (plus big Catholic families with 4+ kids).

Old 04-02-2022, 11:31 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,095,141 times
Quote:
Rarely attending Church seems like it wouldn’t play over well at TCA.

I’m surprised about Collin being on there (and Tech frankly). The Catholic schools seem to lag behind the Episcopal schools and secular privates in terms of highly selective college matriculation. My theory is that a little bit of self-selection at play — the Catholic school families that I know didn’t really have the Ivy bug and were content with UT, A&M, SMU, and TCU with OU or Arkansas as a fallback option, even with kids who had the aptitude/drive to compete for more elite schools. There are also probably more families at Catholic schools who consider scholarship money to be a determinative factor with the Catholic schools having lower tuition and more financial aid (plus big Catholic families with 4+ kids).
Not a surprise at all. Assume budget is a top priority with many Catholic families. Typically they have larger than average family sizes and a desire for Catholic PK-12 thus more kids to pay tuition for 16-18 years. I don’t know about JPII but the Dallas Catholic high schools are also very generous with financial aid so I would assume those kids are taking the best financial offers for college, not the highest ranked program.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not a surprise at all. Assume budget is a top priority with many Catholic families. Typically they have larger than average family sizes and a desire for Catholic PK-12 thus more kids to pay tuition for 16-18 years. I don’t know about JPII but the Dallas Catholic high schools are also very generous with financial aid so I would assume those kids are taking the best financial offers for college, not the highest ranked program.
This is very consistent with what I have observed. I was just surprised about Collin specifically because I would imagine that most kids at a tougher private could probably get at least some money at an OU, Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn etc..

Old 04-02-2022, 11:56 AM

311 posts, read 361,187 times
Yes, I would venture that the average household income at Catholic schools is lower than that of much higher cost Episcopal schools. My nephews got a $5K discount off the already reasonable price at JPII so it was sort of a scholarship to play sports. The Catholics aren't particularly rigorous academically after Jesuit/Ursuline.

A friend whose kid graduated from Plano ISD showed me their college list and Collin College was by far the #1 next step, roughly 800 to 200 for the next college (UT-Dallas perhaps).

I know three families whose kids attend Parish. They all likely have household incomes of $500K or more in corporate jobs. They simply have far more options for college. Also, the fact that they're willing to pay $30K for high school indicates that they may pay that much or more for college. Alternatively, I have a CFO friend whose kids attend a Frisco ISD HS. He wants them to commute to UTD or UNT because commuting to UTA was good enough for him. Note that he's not paying extra for high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: