U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2008, 08:44 PM
 
168 posts, read 538,704 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

We are supposed to arm chair quarterback on Mondays, if not us, then who will? Dont forget that we pay the police out of our paychecks that we earn each week.

I always give law enforcement the benefit of the doubt when I hear about something like this, but for me there is no ambiguity after watching this video... a shot to the head seems very north of excessive...

however, I am also a big believer in our legal system (overall), so lets see where the facts/evidence take this case...

bottom line, I dont think that I could do a Police Officers job and I respect those that do the job... but since I cant, I keep my a** out of the uniform... if a Police Officer doesnt possess the judgement or restraint necessary and shoots a kid in the head because he drives away from a incident, that is just not acceptable in my opinion

No doubt that there are wonderful law enforcement people across the U.S., but also no doubt that it is a profession that lends itself to the abuse of power... go to youtube and type in "police beatings" sometime... sure some videos hard to tell who is at fault, but then there are plenty that are unequivocal.

Last edited by jtrichel; 05-22-2008 at 09:07 PM..
Rate this post positively

 
Old 05-28-2008, 09:22 AM
 
83 posts, read 178,521 times
Reputation: 44
Default Backwoods redneck

I more or less agree that kids should be given the benefit of the doubt when possible, but kids seem to be getting more outrageous in their disregard for life, limb, and property as time has gone one. 20 years ago a group of them surrounded me and attempted to kill me in Dallas. That's rude and disrespectful, don't you think?

Personally, I don't give a flying flip at a rolling doughnut what the rest of the country, the world, the universe thinks about Texas. I will continue to enjoy and be proud to live where criminals are deathly afraid to come on my property to do harm to me and mine. If some kid decides to "do something stupid in their life" and suffers the consequences, I would tend to see it more as a failure of parental upbringing than a societal failure. We hire police to do the dirty work we don't care to do, and for the sake of our safety and peace of mind, we demand that they be respected. I'm grateful we still have a law and order mentality here that supports that. They have a horrible job and some of them aren't up to it. The overwhelming majority are. Hats off to them. Strap on a gun and confront some of these crazies on a daily basis and see if you don't find yourself adopting a "tough guy" mentality. They do it so you and your boys don't have to. Our police know they serve a largely ungrateful public, but they suck up their pride and indignation and do it humbly and well in most cases. I respect that. Maybe you should too.




Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
Sorry, but as a father of two boys that are likely to do something stupid in their life, you people scare me... the kid was stupid, but you dont deserve to get shot in the head for being stupid... you get shot in the head by the government only because you endanger the life of someone else in an immediate way, and pretty much no other reason is acceptable, unless you live somewhere like China or North Korea...

This video is sickening. People saying "golly gee shucks, you just shouldnt mess with the law in Texas" is exactly why people outside of Texas think that we are a bunch of backwood rednecks.

Like many other police officers, this guy seemed to have a tough guy complex. He was clearly not "caught" on the car...he was running alongside it. No doubt that the kid should have been pepper sprayed, chased, arrested, jailed, whatever...but not shot in the brain. Mark my words the outcome of this trial will be in favor of the the defendant.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 PM
 
172 posts, read 476,668 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy1 View Post
I more or less agree that kids should be given the benefit of the doubt when possible, but kids seem to be getting more outrageous in their disregard for life, limb, and property as time has gone one. 20 years ago a group of them surrounded me and attempted to kill me in Dallas. That's rude and disrespectful, don't you think?

Personally, I don't give a flying flip at a rolling doughnut what the rest of the country, the world, the universe thinks about Texas. I will continue to enjoy and be proud to live where criminals are deathly afraid to come on my property to do harm to me and mine. If some kid decides to "do something stupid in their life" and suffers the consequences, I would tend to see it more as a failure of parental upbringing than a societal failure. We hire police to do the dirty work we don't care to do, and for the sake of our safety and peace of mind, we demand that they be respected. I'm grateful we still have a law and order mentality here that supports that. They have a horrible job and some of them aren't up to it. The overwhelming majority are. Hats off to them. Strap on a gun and confront some of these crazies on a daily basis and see if you don't find yourself adopting a "tough guy" mentality. They do it so you and your boys don't have to. Our police know they serve a largely ungrateful public, but they suck up their pride and indignation and do it humbly and well in most cases. I respect that. Maybe you should too.
Apparently sound judgement has been replaced by cavalier bravado. The next few years should be fun.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
 
83 posts, read 178,521 times
Reputation: 44
Default another wild high speed chase

So.....what do we say if someone leaves a scene, a high speed chase ensues, and an innocent is killed in a traffic fatality? Is someone going to raise hell with law enforcement because they didn't contain the incident from the get-go? I'm betting so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
We are supposed to arm chair quarterback on Mondays, if not us, then who will? Dont forget that we pay the police out of our paychecks that we earn each week.

I always give law enforcement the benefit of the doubt when I hear about something like this, but for me there is no ambiguity after watching this video... a shot to the head seems very north of excessive...

however, I am also a big believer in our legal system (overall), so lets see where the facts/evidence take this case...

bottom line, I dont think that I could do a Police Officers job and I respect those that do the job... but since I cant, I keep my a** out of the uniform... if a Police Officer doesnt possess the judgement or restraint necessary and shoots a kid in the head because he drives away from a incident, that is just not acceptable in my opinion

No doubt that there are wonderful law enforcement people across the U.S., but also no doubt that it is a profession that lends itself to the abuse of power... go to youtube and type in "police beatings" sometime... sure some videos hard to tell who is at fault, but then there are plenty that are unequivocal.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,755 posts, read 33,787,087 times
Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHJohn View Post
Apparently sound judgement has been replaced by cavalier bravado. The next few years should be fun.
Things have always been this way in Texas, this is not a new development AND its far from bravado. Go to Texas and mess with law enforcement and you will see, its real life.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 AM
 
172 posts, read 476,668 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Things have always been this way in Texas, this is not a new development AND its far from bravado. Go to Texas and mess with law enforcement and you will see, its real life.
Sorry, bravado might have been too harsh. Trigger happy fits better. As for messing with law enforcement, i'd hardly call running away from law enforcement as messing with them. Running out of fear is a lot different than rushing a cop with a gun or a knife. But then again to differentiate between the two one would require sound judgement. As for law enforcement being stressed and under pressure on their jobs, yes I understand that. But it is all the more reason to practice restraint when there is no need for use of lethal force.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,755 posts, read 33,787,087 times
Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHJohn View Post
Sorry, bravado might have been too harsh. Trigger happy fits better. As for messing with law enforcement, i'd hardly call running away from law enforcement as messing with them. Running out of fear is a lot different than rushing a cop with a gun or a knife. But then again to differentiate between the two one would require sound judgement. As for law enforcement being stressed and under pressure on their jobs, yes I understand that. But it is all the more reason to practice restraint when there is no need for use of lethal force.
To people who do not or have not lived in Texas, it might seem trigger happy but in fact the laws in Texas are very different then elsewhere.

Even a private citizen has the right to gun down someone if he has reason to believe that person is going to go and harm someone elsewhere.

My guess is this is why this officer is not in trouble. This man presents false ID and then flees. Not a good thing. At least he won't be adding to the gene pool.

They do televise these things on TV in Texas. One or two good ole boys getting shot like that should convince even the dumbest amongst us that this kind of rash action is not a good thing in the Lone Star State.

A private citizen can shoot someone in the back (as they are fleeing) if that person is stealing their property.

Thats why they say Texas is like a whole other world. The reality is that the laws are that way in Texas because thats what the majority wants. If people don't like it then avoid the state because I have heard a judge on more then one occasion state rather sharply, "ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it".

I had the unique experience of working at the Police department and working as a court clerk as a teenager. She was the hangin judge, hard as nails but looked like she should have been home baking cookies. People would come in, assess her and try to talk smack to her, she was a tough old bird.

One thing I learned was when I spoke with law enforcement I was at all times polite and apologetic if I was stopped for doing something wrong. I have NEVER in my life given lip to a police officer. Except for that one I dated, I gave him a little lip on an occasion or two.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 AM
 
172 posts, read 476,668 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
To people who do not or have not lived in Texas, it might seem trigger happy but in fact the laws in Texas are very different then elsewhere.

Even a private citizen has the right to gun down someone if he has reason to believe that person is going to go and harm someone elsewhere.

My guess is this is why this officer is not in trouble. This man presents false ID and then flees. Not a good thing. At least he won't be adding to the gene pool.

They do televise these things on TV in Texas. One or two good ole boys getting shot like that should convince even the dumbest amongst us that this kind of rash action is not a good thing in the Lone Star State.

A private citizen can shoot someone in the back (as they are fleeing) if that person is stealing their property.

Thats why they say Texas is like a whole other world. The reality is that the laws are that way in Texas because thats what the majority wants. If people don't like it then avoid the state because I have heard a judge on more then one occasion state rather sharply, "ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it".

I had the unique experience of working at the Police department and working as a court clerk as a teenager. She was the hangin judge, hard as nails but looked like she should have been home baking cookies. People would come in, assess her and try to talk smack to her, she was a tough old bird.

One thing I learned was when I spoke with law enforcement I was at all times polite and apologetic if I was stopped for doing something wrong. I have NEVER in my life given lip to a police officer. Except for that one I dated, I gave him a little lip on an occasion or two.
I'm not disagreeing with you on gun ownership. Nor am I trying to convince anyone that gun ownership is bad. Yes guns like any weapon can be a tremendous deterrent. However, in this case the person in question was not stealing anything. I've never given lip to a cop either. I think what they do is hard enough without having to deal with a-holes. However, just because your job is hard does not entitle you to be trigger happy. Your not given a gun to shoot to kill and last time I looked cops were not given a liscense to kill. Hell if this were true then we should see people being shot in the head for not pulling over in time or not putting their hands on the steering wheel or as you say, mouting off to a cop. Every instance is different. There are times when shooting a vigilante is the only way to save people's lives. This was not an instance where the kid was putting other people at risk or stealing someone's property. He freaked ran and got shot in the head - see how absurd that sounds?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-29-2008, 02:14 PM
 
168 posts, read 538,704 times
Reputation: 95
I will say it again... this thread and the posts in it scare me...

I have a concealed carrying license, I am about as right wing Republican as you get, my family has served in the military for generations... so I am not some flip flop wearing hippie saying that we should be soft on crime. But shooting someone in the head (kid or not) when no other life is being threatened is illegal and wrong. Apparently our courts agree since this is going to trial.

Unbelievable comments here....just unbelievable.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
 
172 posts, read 476,668 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
I will say it again... this thread and the posts in it scare me...

I have concealed carrying license, I am about as right wing Republican as you get, my family has served in the military for generations... so I am not some flip flop wearing hippie saying that we should be soft on crime. But shooting someone in the head (kid or not) when no other life is being threatened is illegal and wrong. Apparently our legislature agrees since this is going to trial.

Unbelievable comments here....just unbelievable.
Everyone supports law enforcement and guns until its their kid in the line of fire.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:12 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top