Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2022, 05:29 PM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
LOL and they say schools are underfunded....
They are underfunded for the education portion. Stadiums are built with bond money, and authorized by bond elections, which means the voters did this to themselves. It's a totally different pot of money than the operations budgets that pay for teachers and such. I think spending that much on a stadium for a single school is ridiculous. Houston ISD has 5(I think) stadiums for all of the 52 high schools in the district to share. Not all of them have sports, but there are no sports palaces.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 05:31 PM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's now how these things are funded.

Investors will buy bonds generating the capital required for the football stadium. And just like all other others it will be a good deal for everyone.
Taxpayers have to pay for the bonds. However, since the taxpayers voted to spend this money, they can't complain.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:33 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Taxpayers have to pay for the bonds. However, since the taxpayers voted to spend this money, they can't complain.
Depends taxpayers may pay a millage in order to fund some portion of a bond package. My main point is the money does not come from classroom funds.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:40 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
They are underfunded for the education portion. Stadiums are built with bond money, and authorized by bond elections, which means the voters did this to themselves. It's a totally different pot of money than the operations budgets that pay for teachers and such. I think spending that much on a stadium for a single school is ridiculous. Houston ISD has 5(I think) stadiums for all of the 52 high schools in the district to share. Not all of them have sports, but there are no sports palaces.
Because they waste $35 MILLION on football stadiums.

Schools have plenty of money. If you can afford a $35 million luxury that is at best ancillary to your primary purpose, then you are not underfunded and you don't need any more money.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:05 PM

300 posts, read 289,908 times
Quote:

Schools have plenty of money. If you can afford a $35 million luxury that is at best ancillary to your primary purpose, then you are not underfunded and you don't need any more money.
I don't view it as a total waste. Good athletic programs can significantly improve a school's marketing potential. I don't think many people outside of DFW would know anything about Allen if they didn't consistently dominate in sports. There are also enormous benefits to participating in athletics/other activities for students. I view my 15-ish years of playing competitive sports as a very formative experience that has helped me in other areas

Old 04-05-2022, 07:10 PM

537 posts, read 449,667 times
Melissa's new high school looks like a prison. I wonder how many seats you get for $35 million.

Does anyone how often does Allen fill their stadium for home football games?

When we lived in Midland we went to alot of high school football games because there is not much else to do. Odessa's Ratliff Stadium was full for 2-3 games per year. Midland was never full. I have not been to a high school games since we moved back to the Metroplex over 2 years ago.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:13 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
I don't view it as a total waste. Good athletic programs can significantly improve a school's marketing potential. I don't think many people outside of DFW would know anything about Allen if they didn't consistently dominate in sports. There are also enormous benefits to participating in athletics/other activities for students. I view my 15-ish years of playing competitive sports as a very formative experience that has helped me in other areas
I don't disagree. But academic excellence is and should always be a school district's primary purpose. And students can still play football without a fancy stadium.

All I'm saying is, if you can afford a $35M athletic facility, serving a purpose that is undisputably secondary to academics, you don't get to claim that you don't have enough money. Schools don't have enough money because they spend it on stuff like this.

Now if schools wanted to go completely independent and operate solely from tuition dollars, that's fine, it's their money to do with it whatever they like.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:19 PM

300 posts, read 289,908 times
Quote:
I don't disagree. But academic excellence is and should always be a school district's primary purpose. And students can still play football without a fancy stadium.

All I'm saying is, if you can afford a $35M athletic facility, serving a purpose that is undisputably secondary to academics, you don't get to claim that you don't have enough money. Schools don't have enough money because they spend it on stuff like this.

Now if schools wanted to go completely independent and operate solely from tuition dollars, that's fine, it's their money to do with it whatever they like.
I agree completely on academics being the first and foremost concern. However, the $35M football facility doesn't necessarily eat into funds that would be used for academics. Unless there was a comparable $35M bond issuance that would have gone directly into education, it presumably would have been the stadium or nothing. Should we, as a country, care more about academics and focus on building those up more than athletics? For sure. But that isn't the case, and I don't have a problem with the stadium since it will offer significant non-academic benefits.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:48 PM

317 posts, read 228,013 times
$35 Million aint what it used to be.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:

You would *think* that is true. But Texas school finance is incredibly screwed up and unnecessarily complicated. But even “wealthy” school districts don’t have unlimited funds and can in some cases need to operate more frugally than other districts simply because such a large percent of their property taxes are sent to the state for recapture / reallocation. At a certain point, it’s a law of diminishing return to raise property taxes if $2 out of every $3 (or $1 of every $2 or whatever) is not able to be kept in the local schools. The state wants every district to have a “fair” budget for operating expenses - that is a set $ per student and then adjustments made based on local cost of living , etc factors.

Bond elections can only pay for infrastructure. So Melissa ISD can raise $35 MIL and keep 100% of it to spend on a stadium but not $1 of that $35M could ever go toward teacher pay, textbooks or educational software, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas