Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 12:04 PM

39 posts, read 35,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
You're confusing a decline in athletic performance with a decline in athletic participation. The life lessons you mention are a product of participating and trying hard, not a product of winning state championships.

I was a college baseball player and lettered in multiple sports in high school. I'm not anti-sport in any way. But the idea that a high school competing at the top level of the most competitive sport in a state somehow benefits its academic program to the point that the school can justify spending this kind of money on the sport is silly. I think I learned life lessons through sports, but I also think my grades were worse because of sports. If you expand this to the college level, this point is undebatable. College football and basketball players almost always take easier tracks and end up with less useful degrees due to their participation in sports (but to be fair, in many cases they would never have been admitted to the school if it weren't for athletics).
Totally agree with this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 12:04 PM

300 posts, read 283,800 times
Quote:
You're confusing a decline in athletic performance with a decline in athletic participation. The life lessons you mention are a product of participating and trying hard, not a product of winning state championships.

I was a college baseball player and lettered in multiple sports in high school. I'm not anti-sport in any way. But the idea that a high school competing at the top level of the most competitive sport in a state somehow benefits its academic program to the point that the school can justify spending this kind of money on the sport is silly. I think I learned life lessons through sports, but I also think my grades were worse because of sports. If you expand this to the college level, this point is undebatable. College football and basketball players almost always take easier tracks and end up with less useful degrees due to their participation in sports (but to be fair, in many cases they would never have been admitted to the school if it weren't for athletics).
I agree on the point about participation, but something like that stadium could draw more participants. Again, I don’t think it’s the best use of funds, but I also don’t view it as just lighting money on fire. And if parents are making decisions about their kids’ schooling based on athletics (which I think is silly) stuff like this could possibly draw in more families.

I agree 100% on the grade boost being non-existent or negative at the college level. In high school, it can vary a lot by kid. I was comfortably above the eligibility cutoff and still focused on grades in my more enjoyable classes, but the classes I didn’t like suffered.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:37 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,400,178 times
Quote:

This.
I use to tutor athletes while in college. I knew of at least a couple of football players, one who wanted to major in engineering and the other who wanted to go pre-med. They were both "strongly encouraged" to ditch those majors and get general business degrees instead, mainly because the majors they wanted would have taken too much time away from football.

Old 04-10-2022, 02:45 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,400,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
A substantial decline in athletics would absolutely have a negative impact. Sports teach a ton of useful life lessons, including hard work, responsibility, and teamwork. They're also a great way for kids in high school to make friends and socialize. I would argue that they also can benefit academics to a certain extent - most sports teams have fairly stringent grade requirements. A dramatic slash in athletic focus/participation, even at mini-college football programs like Allen, would have a negative effect
If this benefit is true, then why havent the elite privates gone this route? No, as private schools they cannot raise money the same way the publics can, but a St Marks for example could certainly hit up its millionaire and billionaire alumni to raise $35 million for a state of the art football stadium.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:58 PM

300 posts, read 283,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
If this benefit is true, then why havent the elite privates gone this route? No, as private schools they cannot raise money the same way the publics can, but a St Marks for example could certainly hit up its millionaire and billionaire alumni to raise $35 million for a state of the art football stadium.
It isn't as much of a priority for the people there, and they don't need to drum up attention through sports since they have other things they can use as a selling point

Old 04-11-2022, 06:35 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,184,845 times
Quote:
This.
I use to tutor athletes while in college. I knew of at least a couple of football players, one who wanted to major in engineering and the other who wanted to go pre-med. They were both "strongly encouraged" to ditch those majors and get general business degrees instead, mainly because the majors they wanted would have taken too much time away from football.
That's a shame. My DH had a football player in his engineering class. It was difficult for him but he prioritized football and engineering over anything else and somehow made it work.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:15 AM

5,253 posts, read 6,355,381 times
Quote:
My DH had a football player in his engineering class.
There were several football players in my b-school programming classes at Texas Tech; I work with quite a few former college football players in my tech job, and there were 2 former NFL players in my grad school classes at SMU. They both did fine. I think the lame-o majors are maybe only for the very best players, and not everyone can handle a full-time sports schedule and school (or a full-time job and school - that's equally as hard for many).

Old 04-17-2022, 09:37 AM

139 posts, read 169,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
For a balance of academics and athletics it’s Highland Park and Southlake by a mile. Plano West has the academics nailed down but not so much the sports.
I would say Plano West has both nailed correctly. Now to just cancel high school sports completely. It should not be funded with tax dollars in any way, shape or form.

Old 04-17-2022, 11:14 AM

169 posts, read 102,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyg View Post
I would say Plano West has both nailed correctly. Now to just cancel high school sports completely. It should not be funded with tax dollars in any way, shape or form.
You quoted the wrong person as I believe I said that however Plano West isn;'t close. Go look at Lone Star Cup standings. Plano West not even top 27.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:06 PM

19,553 posts, read 17,824,718 times
Quote:
Bounded rationality is in play.......SMS given its tiny size and unless it were to actively recruit and scholarship players and waive academic requirements will never be "good" at football in Texas parlance. Plus a great crowd might total maybe 1,000 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas