Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 03:07 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
People want larger homes today and Ranch style 1 story homes require larger lots.

I don't get this comment. That ranch house is at best 1/3 (or 1/4) of the lot. If you want a larger one story just move it closer to the street. The comments about stairs belie that someone is having to maintain all that lawn, and it's not someone with problems climbing stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 03:09 PM

313 posts, read 368,084 times
https://www.dmagazine.com/home-garde...eston-hollow/#

Seems like builders have moved away from the mixed brick and stone to the Santa Barbara style homes.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:20 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I don't get this comment. That ranch house is at best 1/3 (or 1/4) of the lot. If you want a larger one story just move it closer to the street. The comments about stairs belie that someone is having to maintain all that lawn, and it's not someone with problems climbing stairs.
Every city in The US has required set back distances.......where we are in Dallas it's 50ft. out front, I think my side yard set back is 30 feet on one side an 15 on the other.

An oldster can hire a lawn guy...hiring someone to carry him up and down the stairs is a tougher find.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post

What kind of modern style? Something like this? This is really common in Seattle. I don't think it looks great in DFW but it looks nice in a place like Seattle.
Yuck! Looks like a doctors office.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
No doubt. Huge demand for multi generational housing right now with dual masters (up/down) and/or age in place homes.
I've been looking at houses for about a year and don't see any like that. So I doubt there is "a huge demand" for them.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post
It seems like all new houses in the north suburbs have the same look to them. This style just screams Frisco. Steep roof, multiple colors or styles of brick or stone, a round arch over the front door, and what looks like a round column from a medieval castle. Lots so small that you can toss a bag of sugar through your neighbor's window. One tiny sprig of a tree in the front yard and none in the back. Do people actually like the way this looks? It looks so cheesy to me.

Why don't they build more of these classic ranch style homes? The look of these is timeless.
The first one is better looking than the second one.

BTW, builders will build whatever you want. The market drives house styles.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:31 PM

5,833 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple44 View Post
Haha, compared to what? Some "modern" style houses are even more awful, in my opinion. Some modern houses are truly beautiful though.
I found the modern style more tricky, usually they are either too much window (no privacy) or not enough window (not enough natual light).
The first house the OP posted isn't traditional, though. There are well-designed traditional homes and well-designed modern homes (and a lot of other styles, too), but this is none of those. This is a false dichotomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
IMO the worst factors of the top example are the rounded turret (which is fine but totally unnecessary) and the multiple stone patterns. If they would just stop that, or pass it off to more talented designers (like why stack your stone look on your brick look? Do stone to the ground) then it would be fine.

And the massing (what is the main mass here? It's impossible to identify), sporadic window sizing and shapes (I counted no less than eight window sizes and shapes), absurdly complex roof relative to the structure (look at the upper middle part of the roof.....how does that happen?), fake architectural features like brick timbering.....I could go on.

This is a poorly designed house, but people have gotten used to seeing so many poorly designed houses that this starts to "just look like a house."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
People want larger homes today and Ranch style 1 story homes require larger lots.

But One story homes are in huge demand by Boomers and the elderly but the cost per sqft to build is too high and the lots are too small. Back in the 80's they were really hot but it took about a 1/3 acre lot. Now lots are 1/5 to 1/6th of an acre.

Whole lot cheaper to build a 2 story per sqft than build a 1 story with the same footage.
People seem to be missing that there are tons of two story options that aren't poorly-designed mcmansions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The first one is better looking than the second one.

BTW, builders will build whatever you want. The market drives house styles.
I suppose if you stare at enough turds, they start to look pretty good.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:23 PM

148 posts, read 113,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

But One story homes are in huge demand by Boomers and the elderly but the cost per sqft to build is too high and the lots are too small. Back in the 80's they were really hot but it took about a 1/3 acre lot. Now lots are 1/5 to 1/6th of an acre.

Whole lot cheaper to build a 2 story per sqft than build a 1 story with the same footage.
It seems like the ranch style homes are in lower income neighborhoods, probably because the homes are older and sell for cheaper. A lot of boomers own these homes, probably because they bought them decades ago.

The 70yr old Vietnam Vet who works on motorcycles in his driveway in his spare time is the type who lives in the ranch style.

The 45yr old director at a Fortune 500 company whose wife has the blown out blonde hair and drives an Escalade is the person who ends up buying those ugly McMansions in Frisco. They live in Frisco because their job is probably in that area or nearby and just about the only type of home you can buy in Frisco is the McMansion style. The people at my job who live in Frisco almost all fall within this description.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:39 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,084,684 times
That is typical of Grand Homes. It's grotesque, and when you have such a large volume of them so close together, the whole area looks cheap, not expensive. That old style with the low pitched roofs isn't any better in my opinion.

New houses are like shotgun houses. I'm sure some here are familiar with those. Lots haven't necessarily gotten too small but too narrow. You can't get a good floor plan with something like that. Besides that, they all look like cheap apartments.

I miss the styles of the late 80s and early 90s with the huge master bathrooms and vaulted ceilings that you could find in smaller one story houses. I'm not sure why that isn't done anymore. Even the bathrooms had vaulted ceilings. I love the big windows with lots of natural light but not at the expense of letting in noise or losing privacy. I wish we had stucco also, again for small houses, but we never had that.

If you look at the few detached houses in Addison, the architecture is perfect!

Of course the builders get higher margins on the large McMansions and two story houses/townhouses.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:47 PM

317 posts, read 228,234 times
Great discussion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas