Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2022, 12:29 PM

79 posts, read 74,729 times

Advertisements

We changed to Dallas ISD this school year and the school sent us an email if we want our kid to take Human Growth and Development course. It was never asked in our previous school and it was never asked for other courses this year at this school. What do they teach? How do we make a decision about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 12:46 PM

793 posts, read 1,223,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisekar View Post
We changed to Dallas ISD this school year and the school sent us an email if we want our kid to take Human Growth and Development course. It was never asked in our previous school and it was never asked for other courses this year at this school. What do they teach? How do we make a decision about it?
I don't know about DISD specifically but many (most?) schools teach some kind of health/puberty/development related class around 5th grade. I believe it may even be a state requirement. It's usually an opt out class if you don't want them to learn about body development/puberty from teachers at school.

FWIW this topic has been insanely controversial in recent school board elections. You can always opt out.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:49 PM

625 posts, read 668,685 times
What grade is your student? It sounds like the basic Sex Ed class for kids. I think in 5th grade they take the boys and girls out separately. Basically talk to boys about puberty and body changes. Girls similar. It was all fairly innocuous. I think in 6th grade its similar. My son in 8th grade took a Health required semester.

Old 05-09-2022, 01:12 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,054,966 times
Probably tells you that you can be a boy, girl, both or nothing at all

Old 05-09-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
What grade is your student? It sounds like the basic Sex Ed class for kids. I think in 5th grade they take the boys and girls out separately. Basically talk to boys about puberty and body changes. Girls similar. It was all fairly innocuous. I think in 6th grade its similar. My son in 8th grade took a Health required semester.
5th grade.

Old 05-09-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
It is the science class, just regular course.

Old 05-09-2022, 02:11 PM

625 posts, read 668,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisekar View Post
It is the science class, just regular course.

Yes - in 5th grade it was a simple breakout 1-2 lessons to discuss puberty and body changes. There wasn't a full SEX discussion in it.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:40 PM

213 posts, read 240,032 times
This class is offered everywhere almost to 5th graders. Assuming you did not go to school in the US??!! It’s simple, sex, puberty related things for kids in that age group for awareness.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:52 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
I have a teenager and a 5th grader who just had his first of two of those classes yesterday. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Speaking from experience, it's better for your child to know what to expect from puberty before they go through it than during. Puberty is a continuum and some kids start in 5th. My older son's voice started changing in 5th and he started needing deodorant then too. His best friend looks likes he's far from going through puberty. One girls in my son's 5th grade is already well on her way through puberty. The kids who already know what to expect cope better with puberty than those who are blindsided.

If you're concerned, ask to see the curriculum before you sign. That request is pretty common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: