Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 12:28 PM

42 posts, read 49,534 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Frisco for 7 years. The town was relatively new just back in 2015. Richwoods was still being built, and a lot of West and North Frisco was up and coming. We moved from northeast for good schools just like everyone else. Our experience with Frisco ISD was good in the beginning. But it has gotten progressively worse. Not sure it is the ISD’s fault either. There are 64,000 students in FISD. And increasing by the day. Schools have hit the upper limit of students the buildings are designed for. As much as parents and students hate it, rezoning happens every year. Majority of new immigrants are South east asian and student population is reflecting that. Teachers and administration are fed up with the increasing numbers and see no reason to be nice, polite, and are not inclined/ interested in teaching. Many days kids come back from school saying they did nothing in class.

For those who are thinking of moving here, please think long and hard. The ISD does not listen very well to public needs and make no exceptions even for small changes. They are overworked and it shows in their rude interactions with community members. There is no focus on students learning, and many times I felt like we were in a huge churn machine that spits out graduates. Students have issues learning what is being taught in schools, but teachers will not even acknowledge the challenges being faced so as to not be responsible to fix them.

Weather is good for 3 months of spring, and 4 months of fall. Summer is very dry and very very hot. And January and February get very cold.

Property taxes are high. And if home prices of last two years are any indication, property taxes are going much much higher. Expect to pay $12000 for a 3000 sq.ft sfr. Home owners insurance is about $5000. Many newer construction houses have very small lots, and are built so close it is claustrophobic to even drive by them..

I relied heavily on city-data forums when I was making this choice and so I thought it was important to let people know how it really is out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 01:03 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,152,736 times
I'm not sure I really agree with most of what you post, and I'm not the type to tout Frisco as the best there is either. Frisco was not relatively new in 2015. In 2010 it had 116,000 people and it was well known back then (and still now) that frequent rezoning was an issue, especially if you were buying new construction. Despite this, people still complain about rezoning or the higher class numbers in certain schools when the city and ISD are still experiencing massive growth. I don't blame the ISD for refusing to make exceptions or changes. In a district with that many students, it's nearly impossible to handle all of the exceptions or requests. It really sounds like you would be better suited in a smaller district or private school.

That being said, the last two years have been unprecedented, not to mention that parents seem to be even more demanding than ever. My oldest is in elementary school in Frisco ISD and I have been pleased with her education so far. Her teachers have been responsive and she's learned so much, despite the pandemic.

Your other issues about the weather, taxes, and insurance apply to all of DFW (Texas, really), not just Frisco.

Old 06-01-2022, 01:43 PM

42 posts, read 49,534 times
Respectfully, even though rezoning was an issue in the 2010, school transfers were allowed because there was still room in existing schools. Now existing schools are mostly bursting at the seams. Many elem and middle schools are closed for transfers.

Our kids have been through elem, middle and now going through HS. Suffice to say we have a bit more experience with the schools and ISD than others.

the tax issues and weather are common to all of DFW. That information was thrown in there to give an overall sense of living here

Old 06-01-2022, 11:41 PM

5,683 posts, read 4,088,526 times
IMO, the $1MM+ Frisco market will be the first thing to tank if housing prices drop. A lot of new builds in Frisco have carried value because they were new houses in the new place and the market was running hot. But much of that crowd specifically wants a new house, not a five or ten year old house. And being new is a feature that, by definition, has a shelf life.

This is just seat-of-pants intuition, but I think the $1MM+ suburban tract houses will age and appreciate poorly.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:26 AM

210 posts, read 268,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
IMO, the $1MM+ Frisco market will be the first thing to tank if housing prices drop. A lot of new builds in Frisco have carried value because they were new houses in the new place and the market was running hot. But much of that crowd specifically wants a new house, not a five or ten year old house. And being new is a feature that, by definition, has a shelf life.

This is just seat-of-pants intuition, but I think the $1MM+ suburban tract houses will age and appreciate poorly.
Do you live in Frisco now? Have you owned a home recently in Frisco? If not then you know absolutely nothing about Frisco, we owned a home and lived in Frisco for 11 years(2004), moved into our new home in Prosper, TX. in 2015. Our home has tripled in value, average home price in Prosper for new homes now 750K$$$$. One of the highest in in NTX.

We live across the road north of Hwy 380 where the Frisco PGA HQ is moving in now(from Orlando, FL), along with the new Panther Creek High & new middle school across the street. Down the new PGA Parkway the new Omni Hotel is under construction and a new Ritz-Carlton Hotel is planned, all this and much, much more will make this a WORLD CLASS area known as the Fields Project! Thousands of new homes to be built Taylor Morrison just started new home development near DNT & Panther Creek Parkway. All this in Frisco, TX. probably a 20 - 30 year build out!

Expected 30,000 new residents to move in a city within a city(The Fields Project - the same developer who did LEGACY WEST in Plano is in charge)! Frisco is a long way from being a future low priced area,it's frequently listed nationally as one of the BEST cities to live in America! Homes are at a premium because of the great school district and highly educated population. So get out of your "BUBBLE" and drive around Frisco awhile, it might enlighten you? LOL!

Old 06-03-2022, 07:02 PM

761 posts, read 910,023 times
No need to be defensive about Frisco, Ghost was just stating his opinion. I think he has a point... among the northern suburbs, I think Prosper and Plano will hold their value best in a downturn. I would give McKinney a slight edge above Frisco since it has more older and mature housing stock and less new neighborhoods that are not subject to the crazy run up in builder pricing, so it should be less volatile. I might even rank Allen as doing a bit better in a downturn than Frisco, but tough to say.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:41 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,031,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post
Do you live in Frisco now? Have you owned a home recently in Frisco? If not then you know absolutely nothing about Frisco, we owned a home and lived in Frisco for 11 years(2004), moved into our new home in Prosper, TX. in 2015. Our home has tripled in value, average home price in Prosper for new homes now 750K$$$$. One of the highest in in NTX.

We live across the road north of Hwy 380 where the Frisco PGA HQ is moving in now(from Orlando, FL), along with the new Panther Creek High & new middle school across the street. Down the new PGA Parkway the new Omni Hotel is under construction and a new Ritz-Carlton Hotel is planned, all this and much, much more will make this a WORLD CLASS area known as the Fields Project! Thousands of new homes to be built Taylor Morrison just started new home development near DNT & Panther Creek Parkway. All this in Frisco, TX. probably a 20 - 30 year build out!

Expected 30,000 new residents to move in a city within a city(The Fields Project - the same developer who did LEGACY WEST in Plano is in charge)! Frisco is a long way from being a future low priced area,it's frequently listed nationally as one of the BEST cities to live in America! Homes are at a premium because of the great school district and highly educated population. So get out of your "BUBBLE" and drive around Frisco awhile, it might enlighten you? LOL!
Aren't you special.

No one was talking about now. The argument was more around its long-term value. I can't help but question whether the complete vision of the Fields as planned is feasible in the short term or sustainable in the long term.

Pricing does seem to go up faster and higher when you are surrounded by a lot of well-advertised new construction.

As for right now, I've been out that way countless times, and I quite honestly never could see what all the fuss is about. Any time someone talks about moving or having moved to Frisco, the only reason I hear is the schools. I live very close to Virginia Parkway in Mckinney which changes to PGA in Frisco. It's an easy way to avoid traffic precisely because nothing is there so I've been out there a lot. Currently, it has only the two buildings in framing stage, and they don't seem to be progressing quickly. I have not seen any housing there yet other than the existing subdivisions at 423.

Frisco to me is just an everyday cookie-cutter suburb with a larger share of McMansions.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 7,387 times
Quote:

Frisco is becoming the region's next employment hub. I would think that the surrounding cities north of Frisco, such as Prosper, Aubrey and Celina would be more impacted than Frisco in the next housing downturn.

Old 06-04-2022, 02:53 PM

300 posts, read 280,845 times
Quote:

This seems pretty spot-on. If and when this hits Frisco, the next places will presumably be Prosper and then Celina, as the development is clearly moving up the tollway (or even beyond if they’re extending it past 380).

Old 06-04-2022, 09:39 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,382,034 times
Quote:

Meh, maybe but probably not
People had been predicting Planos demise in this exact same way. “As soon as the homes start to age out, watch Plano collapse” well Plano is not a new town anymore, pretty much built out at this point and a large chunk of the city is 20-40 year old homes but I think it’s safe to say that not only is Plano not collapsing, it’s probably going to stay where it is currently for the foreseeable future in spite of what certain posters in the other threads might think.

So if Plano is still going strong after 40 years of being a boomtown suburb, I don’t see why it would be any different for Frisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas