Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:38 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
They moved here to be close to me, of course! Duh - what were you thinking?
OMG... Don't be such an idiot... this is the stupidest post of CD i've ever seen... Next time, think...
They came here to see me... not you....

no... the cost of living and the similarities between LA an DFW(as opposed to LA and NYC)... that... and maybe a few of them have family here.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:43 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
I came because of DFWMom and Lakewooder so ha

But really I moved out of SoCal (1994) to be in a less expensive state where I had family and relatively mild weather. I don't find the weather here unbearably hot compared to say Southern Louisiana but yes it is hotter feeling to me than SoCal.

After I had a larger family I stayed because I find this to be a family-oriented state and at least in my experience accepting of outsiders, YMMV.

We left for 1 year and about 20 days (Georgia ironically) and came back. I told my husband we won't be leaving again and he concurs.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:23 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
There has been in influx of folks from California / west coast to DFW the past few years.

I am curious what is the attraction? I know that Californians are used to having the mountains and scenic desert on one side and the Pacific ocean beaches on the other.

And you folks are also used to reliably mild weather. DFW has hot summers and relatively cold winters. There are no beaches or mountains nearby here in DFW. So what is the attraction?

Understand I am not criticizing anyone or anything - I am just curious and want to understand.
We were kidnapped from L.A. and transported here by aliens. I can't figure it out either.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:27 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Most of the oldtime Californians I know moved out there in the 50's and 60's and moved back to Texas when it came time to retire.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:52 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
Well here is my 02 cents.
I had other options like my home state of Ohio. I thought I would like to be closer to my family since all the elders were passing on. But then I really wondered if I could stand the winters after being in CA for 20+ yrs. I so hate being cold! My other option was to go back to Atlanta since I was there 2 yrs, but I hated it while living there. Never really felt like home, job market sucked and couldn't get back to CA fast enough.

So I was weighing my last two choices of Dallas or Houston. Houston, I have a very close friend and I think I may feel isolated like when in Atlanta by only knowing one person when I moved there. Having a social base is very important to me. In Dallas I have friends that I see throughout the year. They come to CA, I come to Dallas, we all go on trips (New Orleans, Vegas, Miami, and we will do a meditteranean cruise soon, and a wedding in Cancun).
And I've only met them and became friends since last July. So I do believe people in Dallas are very nice people!
So although they are not my family it feels more like I have family there.

So deciding factors for me came down to:
Housing cost (renting or buying)
Job opportunities
Weather (Not the best but not the worst either) Has been better than Ca this year!
Friends being there already so I won't feel totally lost
Best buddy being close also (he travels to the Big D often to do comedy)
And most important it just feels right for me and being that I don't have to consider kids, if I don't like it I can always go elsewhere. Shoot you only got one life to live, better make the best of it!

Last edited by caligurltotx; 05-23-2008 at 07:09 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 06:10 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
We were kidnapped from L.A. and transported here by aliens. I can't figure it out either.
Smart aliens.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:29 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
There has been in influx of folks from California / west coast to DFW the past few years.

I am curious what is the attraction? I know that Californians are used to having the mountains and scenic desert on one side and the Pacific ocean beaches on the other.

And you folks are also used to reliably mild weather. DFW has hot summers and relatively cold winters. There are no beaches or mountains nearby here in DFW. So what is the attraction?

Understand I am not criticizing anyone or anything - I am just curious and want to understand.
We are a little unique so I don't know if statically we fit in but here goes.

Our daughter went to college at TCU. She tried to live in CA and gave up on a teacher's salary. She moved back to TX, got married and had a baby.

We got to know TX while she was in college and have friends that live in Austin that our kids grew up with in CA. Other than the summer heat we love TX, especially the winter, fall and spring. We just don't have seasons in CA.

We had an opportunity to cash out of a house we had lived in for 27 years in Irvine CA and kind of get a new start in TX. We are older (52 & 49) and although we loved the mountains and beaches in CA, TX is so big, with so many lakes, little towns and miles of open country that we feel it was a good trade off. We just love TX, the people we have met, the beautiful land, wild flowers, farms, etc. Texas is also a great starting point for road trips which we absolutely love. We have taken many road trips from CA to Florida, we just love to see the country. That being said we will probably take our vacations for a few years in CA to see family.

We still have two children at home so we aren't done yet but are in the last innings of our parenthood journey. We just got up to the plate for the first time as grandparents so the next phase in life has begun for us in TX.

Like I said we are probably a little unique. We did not move here for a job. We did not move here to retire. We moved here for family and a new adventure in the later years of our life.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:30 AM

28 posts, read 87,910 times
I don't live in California, however in Nevada which once had low COL and housing, however a lot of California people have moved here and now it seems to feel like California as far as the prices are concerned, so therefore we are looking to move to Texas reasons:

Schools in Nevada are not so great!! Schools Seem to be way better in Texas
COL
Housing.. our house was 400K here, we could probably purchase a house like ours for 150K there.
Dry, Dry, Dry weather and not so green most of the time. At this point some humidity to our skin would be great!
Although there are some jobs here there are 45 pages of jobs there for my husband!

Anyway, we do not have family there, however our family has stated they would be interested in moving as well for some of the same reasons!! So although I am not from California, I feel as though I live in California......

Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 AM

53 posts, read 243,163 times
We also knew we wanted out of CA but just weren't sure where. We had some friends who moved here the year before and loved it.

The relatively mild weather, cost of living, high quality schools, job market, open land, and friendly, down to earth people were all deciding factors.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:15 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
All the Californians I know that moved here did so because they could afford to buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas