Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:18 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
All the Californians I know that moved here did so because they could afford to buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood.
Although that is not why we moved here we probably would not have moved here if the housing costs we as high as in CA.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
it's liberal, ritzy, has lots of gays and shopping and restaraunts.. etc.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:30 PM

113 posts, read 427,692 times
I moved here from so cal after I cashed out when I sold my home, came here, upgraded and paid it off....

Old 05-24-2008, 05:41 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
There has been in influx of folks from California / west coast to DFW the past few years.

I am curious what is the attraction? I know that Californians are used to having the mountains and scenic desert on one side and the Pacific ocean beaches on the other.

And you folks are also used to reliably mild weather. DFW has hot summers and relatively cold winters. There are no beaches or mountains nearby here in DFW. So what is the attraction?

Understand I am not criticizing anyone or anything - I am just curious and want to understand.
Housing is cheap....

Old 05-24-2008, 08:04 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Well, it isn't the weather. I must be the housing prices.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:12 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
More affordable cost of living + lots of jobs.

First, we decided we had to leave California. Second, we selected our new location. Many places in the country meet the first criteria above, but not the second.
Those are the two most important factors for most people I think. When you compare the sacrifices you need to make to live in CA it isn't worth it. For example, CA has beaches but texas has lakes and if you want to go to the beach you can just plan a weekend outing and drive to the beach. Ca has better weather but with air conditioning it balances out. I see a lot of people busting their butts to make a living in Ca - living paycheck to paycheck, living with 3-4 roomates in a small apartment, driving a junker that always breaks down, not able to save for retirement all because they won't leave Ca. Most of these people cannot afford to live in CA yet they stay which is probably one of the biggest mistakes they will make because they are singing up for life time work. I saw one poor old lady must've been 70 odd some years old working at a fast food joint. I asked her why she was working there and she told me she couldn't make ends meat with her small pension and social security. If she would've just moved out of CA she would have been able to retire and at least had a decent retirement.

Texas is one of the very few states where the American dream is still attainable.

Last edited by killer2021; 05-25-2008 at 05:20 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 07:06 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I saw one poor old lady must've been 70 odd some years old working at a fast food joint. I asked her why she was working there and she told me she couldn't make ends meat with her small pension and social security. If she would've just moved out of CA she would have been able to retire and at least had a decent retirement.

Texas is one of the very few states where the American dream is still attainable.
Good points covered in this post!

The American Dream. What's remarkable is not that Texas has it to offer, but that places like Coastal California are giving it away... they want to opt out of American prosperity and they want to do it as soon as possible. Their attitude over there is essentially collective suicide.

I used to live in California before I moved to Dallas in the 1990's. It finally became undeniable that I was living among people who were about as out of touch with a normal, healthy economy as an ostensible American could be. The last straw was actually the weather... it rained every day, drizzle over a continuous 24 hour period, for the entire month of February.

What are the consequences of living in that kind of environment? The people become somewhat vicious and mean.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
This is an example of a woman that needs to move from California from a housing cost standpoint:

Mom forced to live in car with dogs - CNN.com

You know its bad when the city of Santa Barbara actually designates parking lots for people in her situation.

I grew up in SoCal, wouldn't trade my childhood in San Diego for the world. However, I used to travel down south quite a bit as a kid before I moved down there, so I knew there was a big world out there and California is not the end all and be all that some people say it is... It's a nice place for me to visit, but I don't think I'll move back.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:00 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
it's liberal, ritzy, has lots of gays and shopping and restaraunts.. etc.
I doubt the reasons of which you speak would attract many Californians, but then one never knows nowadays.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:11 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
This is an example of a woman that needs to move from California from a housing cost standpoint:

Mom forced to live in car with dogs - CNN.com

You know its bad when the city of Santa Barbara actually designates parking lots for people in her situation.

I grew up in SoCal, wouldn't trade my childhood in San Diego for the world. However, I used to travel down south quite a bit as a kid before I moved down there, so I knew there was a big world out there and California is not the end all and be all that some people say it is... It's a nice place for me to visit, but I don't think I'll move back.
Well, Santa Barbara is a very exceptional case, but it may be that the rest of the Southern California coast is not much better. What we are seeing is the collapse of a portion of America as a participant in the American economy.

The article mentions that she is earning $8 per hour. That is minimum wage in Cali. If she went somewhere else, some town in the interior, she could probably find another menial job in a more affordable location. But some people simply can't face the prospect of moving.

The ultimate retribution for places like Santa Barbara that freeze out everyone but the ultra-rich... they may have to wash their own dishes someday. Or... the restaurant raises the price of their menu items so they can just throw the dirty dishes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas