Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 10:11 AM

424 posts, read 1,817,496 times

Advertisements

The kiddos found a scorpion (we think a pretty young one) in our entry way this morning.

If there's one, is there usually more somewhere lurking in my home?

Do I need an exterminator (sp?)?

How do I prevent these?

I clean my house every week including my cupboards so no spiders, etc. I did find a June bug in my house this morning as well. Do these little suckers come in with us? There are no holes that I can find.

I am not concerned with the Junebug unless they are the main food source of the dreaded scorpion!

Help, this is an emergency!!!!! Right now "scorpy" is in a jar awaiting his death! He is going to become the kids' next science project!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 03:53 PM

106 posts, read 471,071 times
Default Should be OK

OK. I know that it is scary to be aware of any creature in your house, much less a Arachnid (As a Scorpion isn't a insect but of the same species as a Spider). But you should be ok and you can let it go ... say in the back of your yard because it is beneficial addition to your yard; as it eats insects that for the most part you don't want around.

For more information, here is a link to Texas Parks and Wildlife site, where they state common Texas Scorpion's sting is “Similar to a bee sting, the sting from a scorpion causes pain and local swelling but usually is not serious except for rare instances of allergy for which medical attention should be sought. ”

Texas Junior Naturalists Nature-Safe: Arachnids

Let me answer your questions in following format to break things out (Q/A) ... see below.

Q). If there's one, is there usually more somewhere lurking in my home?
A). Possible but most likely not. Normally, Scorpions are solitary but there could be another if you brought it into your house instead of it entering.

Q). Do I need an exterminator (sp?)?
A). Spelling is correct. My answer would be no, not for just seeing one in entry of your house. If you start seeing more of them, yes, it would be a good idea to get a quote (estimate). My standard practice is to have three quotes or inspections before signing anything like a contract. One time treatment is fine for single company, but if you choose to sign up for something, get competitive bids from at least three qualified exterminators.

Q). How do I prevent these?
A). In my opinion, this is the real issue, but before you can say how to prevent, you have to know what your home and surroundings are like from a plant/structure/maintenance standpoint. Scorpions like quiet areas with little activity. So establish play areas, walkways, gardens, etc are not normal areas for them. They can invade a home when conditions change (dry to wet, cold to hot, changing/upset in areas thus moving them, etc). So you have to ask yourself, the following questions:

1). Is the outside of my home mowed, low brush/plants, trimmed hedges, open flower or plant beds? Or do you have area's where any type of plants are heavy against your home? Primarily in front of your home, since that is where it came from IF it crawled in from outside.

2). Have you changed anything major in the area ... plantings, trees, out structure's, new construction in area (like new home or something happening at next door).

3). Have you brought anything into the house from outside in boxes, containers, etc? This includes stuff from stores (like garden, warehouse, or lumberyard's (Home Depot, Lowe's, or WalMart)

I clean my house every week including my cupboards so no spiders, etc. I did find a June bug in my house this morning as well. Do these little suckers come in with us? There are no holes that I can find.

A). There are always ways to get into a house. Look around the outside of your house for the Dryer Vent, AC lines, and water bibs ... running into the house. Any opening can allow insects or things into your house, which should be filled. Simple thing to fill holes like this is just a bit of steelwool, just use it to fill in the area's, as it also helps stop mice from entering as well. Note: DO NOT use steelwool that is coated with soap, as when it will get messy when it gets wet. Cracks under doors allow the same ... plus if you have a crack here - you are losing energy by letting outside air into the house. Fill anything that is bigger than the size of pencil (doors, windows, cracks, pipes, etc) on the outside of the house. Common tool to fill cracks/gaps like this are caulk. Gaps under doors will need some type of seal like a foam or door sweeper - see your local home lumber store for help on filling cracks/gaps for both insects/arachnids and conserving energy.

Q) I am not concerned with the Junebug unless they are the main food source of the dreaded scorpion!
A). No really but I'm sure a hungry Scorpion would not turn one down. They will eat just about anything that is smaller than them.

Help, this is an emergency!!!!! Right now "scorpy" is in a jar awaiting his death! He is going to become the kids' next science project!!

A). As I said above, you don't have to kill it, but you can let it go out in the yard. Common Scorpion's in Texas are NOT considered deadly in Texas. There are types of Scorpion's in US that are considered harmful to humans and some throughout the world have stings that can kill. But these are not common in this area of Texas. Most of the time, something like this is a "rider" ... it was carried into your house on a box or bag.

Lastly, a bit of advice, call it live and let live ... if you leave things like this alone or help them get back outside, everyone will be the happier. Scorpion's normally don't live in homes, so it is just as anxious to get back to it's normal space as you are to have it leave your home. Most cases it would die in your home anyway, without its normal food/environment.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:22 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
You will get better dealing with the bugs. With my first scorpion in my house, I went ballistic, putting a glass over it until I could work up enough courage to kill it. I still freak when I see one in the house, yelping a bit, but I kill it right away, no waiting around. I use a shoe until its blasted tail is no longer moving in the stinging position.

It took me 25 years to be able to touch a June bug as they are so creepy feeling. It still gives me the willies a bit, but I actually will capture one if the dog doesn't get to it first and throw it in the toilet. I still don't like the way they fly around and dive bomb me, but I don't scream anymore, just swear a little bit, fidget a lot, and get the chills.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:08 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,496 times
AAAHHHH. My kids want to keep him as a pet. I think I will set him free. I thought he was dead in my jar now he's running around with his tail in striking pose. Kids keep playing with the jar...Yikes. I told them if they drop the jar or unscrew the cap, they will have to sleep with it lurking around their bed.

He's a striped Bark scorpion for all interested.

BTW: They are building a new building down the street. I think they've stirred the pot.

I'm taking him for a drive far away from here and dumping him off because I hate scorpions, but can't bring myself to kill it either! I've dealt with wasps, rats, etc. Scorpions take the cake! Hopefully it's a one time thing. All I need is to step on one in the middle of the night! Not good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas