Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:01 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIS72 View Post
10 minutes to work.. sounds good. It takes me an hour to get to work now but, I have family here. I won't have that luxury when I move to Dallas. Thanks for your help.
I know what you mean....It is always nice to have family close by. We found that out real fast when we moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 AM

119 posts, read 291,942 times
I don't have a clue what the racial makeup of the communities north of Dallas are because I have been taught race doesn't matter.

Plano has the best schools.

I wouldn't buy in Frisco because the traffic is horrible getting in/out of Frisco. Plano, on the other hand, has four tollway/freeways and a nice grid system of surface streets that move along nicely during rush hour. I shop in Frisco, but I don't live there.

If you work at Frankford and the North Dallas Tollway and live in southern Plano, your commute would be about 20 minutes and you wouldn't have to get on a freeway/tollway.

Plano offers a great after-school program called PASAR that is located at your child's school.

Richardson has good schools and low crime and affordable houses. You would have a reverse commute, going north to your job while most go south (in the morning).

You didn't say what your budget is for a house. Southern Plano is in the mid $100s. The prices go up to the millions in Plano.

McKinney and Allen offer affordable new homes (if you want new), but they are much farther away from that job than Plano.

Other communities on that west side where your job will be located are Carrolton and Lewisville.

I'd recommend staying out of Dallas.

So I'd look at north Richardson and south Plano, if I were you.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
for me--if I were a working person making a daily commute I would try to find something that let me take public transportation--even with a high mpg car I think driving in just not what it used to be
we bought a camry hybrid to offset the tahoe my husband drives and we live in Tarrant co outside FTW so there is NO public transport that is an option for us...

Old 05-26-2008, 10:33 AM

72 posts, read 257,679 times
McKinney is also growing really quickly and vies with Frisco for fastest growing city in the nation back and forth. You can get a home there and also go to Prosper schools which are excellent and have a really low teacher to student ratio. Some of the moms tell me that there are only like 9 kids in their classrooms! There are a few communities off of 380 and Lake Forest that go to Prosper schools. To buy in Prosper, you're looking at a minimum of 1/4 million. McKinney has an old quaint downtown square and then newer, hipper communities with shops, restaurants with wine and jazz on Friday nights, and other things depending on what interests you.

Frisco would also be a good area for you. You didn't mention price point, so I'm not sure of which subdivisions to mention to be helpful? This is the current ratings of the Frisco schools, so you'll want to focus on the communities that feed into the schools you want.

FRISCO</SPAN>
Exemplary</SPAN>
Anderson Elem.</SPAN>
Bledsoe Elem.</SPAN>
Borchardt Elem.</SPAN>
Corbell Elem.</SPAN>
Curtsinger Elem.</SPAN>
Fisher Elem.</SPAN>
Isbell Elem.</SPAN>
Rogers Elem.</SPAN>
Sem Elem.</SPAN>
Smith Elem.</SPAN>

Sparks Elem.
Spears Elem.</SPAN>
Taylor Elem.</SPAN>
</SPAN>
Recognized</SPAN>
Ashley Elem.</SPAN>
Boals Elem.</SPAN>
Bright Elem.</SPAN>
Christie Elem.</SPAN>
Griffi n Middle</SPAN>
Gunstream Elem.</SPAN>
Ogle Elem.</SPAN>
Pink Elem.</SPAN>
Pioneer Heritage Middle</SPAN>
Riddle Elem.</SPAN>
Roach Middle</SPAN>
Shawnee Trail Elem.</SPAN>
Western Middle</SPAN>
</SPAN>
Acceptable</SPAN>
Centennial High</SPAN>
Clark Middle</SPAN>
Frisco High</SPAN>
Liberty High</SPAN>
Staley Middle</SPAN>
Wakeland High</SPAN>

Your office is almost right next to ours - 18383 Preston - so I know the distances you're talking about. Wylie and Murphy would be out to the E of your office, too.

Hope it helps.</SPAN>

Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
Default Great neighborhood in Irving (Dallas/DFW-area)

Hi there,

If you're moving to the DFW-area, I would recommend the Valley Ranch-area of north Irving (zip 75063). We have lived here for over six years and we absolutely love it! The schools are great; Freedman elementary is walking distance from our neighborhood (Grand Hills of Valley Ranch) and is one of the highest regarded elementary schools in the area.

Our community offers you quick access to Hwy-635, Hwy-114, and Toll-161. The taxes are lower in Irving vs. neighboring Coppell, yet you're in the Carrolton-Farmers Branch school district. This area is minutes away from the DFW-Airport, Downtown Dallas, and Grapevine Mills Outlet Mall. The city of Irving has a great library with multiple locations and an easy-to-use public transportation system (should you need to). It is surrounded by some of the best shopping (Frye's Electronics, Home Depot, Target, Kohl’s, Wal-Mart, Ultimate Electronics, Sam's Club, Starbucks... to name a few) and they're all within a one-mile radius of the neighborhood.

Some of the houses at the top of the hill (i.e. Rugby Dr and Tioga) have amazing views of the area and can see firework shows from multiple cities, including nearby downtown Las Colinas. You'll find the people in the area are very friendly and I'm sure you'll love living here.

Hope this can be of some help.

Kind regards,
OpenRange

Old 05-26-2008, 03:06 PM

11 posts, read 67,204 times
Was in Plano as of March 2008, my mom and relatives live in the Dallas metro. I am too living in Florida and thinking of moving to the Dallas Metro as of Spring 2009. Just what I have seen, I really did like Plano. I am 35 and single wanting a change to a bigger city, more diverse and more things to do. Living here in Lakeland, Florida is not really a place for singles. Its a good town for families who want to settle down. The economy in Fl is a real challenge due to a slump in the housing market, especially for me who is self-employed/paint contractor. The bottom line is, its not happening here in Lakeland, Fl, a town of 90,000 people. Plano is more expensive to live there, but the quality of city life is better.

What I am looking for is a city that has more to do, most of all, a GLBT community that is bigger and more too do than just going to the bars or clubs to meet friends. Is there life outside of bars and clubs? I would think so, but some here in Lakeland, Fl don't see it that way. Does anybody know a Dallas district or communities that caters to the GLBT. Please let me know, I really appreciated it. Thanks!

I am still doing more research through this website on Dallas, so, am sure I will have more question in the future.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:36 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Dallas proper has a large GLBT community. Look into the Oak Lawn, uptown areas.

Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau | GLBT Community in Dallas

There is even a local newspaper that caters only to the GLBT crowd.

Naima

Old 05-27-2008, 01:25 PM

11 posts, read 67,204 times
Thank You Naima, I will check it out.

Clayton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas