Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2022, 08:44 PM

352 posts, read 778,670 times

Advertisements

Whats even worse is them starting mid week or on a Thursday/Friday. Like come on. What does it hurt to start on a Monday morning? Why the rush or need to start a new school year before the last week of August and midweek or later?

Does it have to do with money funneling into the school district or this staar test which is the only thing that they seem to truly care about around here(but I will leave that alone)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 07:30 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,055,793 times
They have to go to school X amount of days. I believe now they have more breaks then before

Old 08-10-2022, 08:44 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
They are trying various strategies to lengthen the fall semester to make the fall and spring semester closer to the same length. It does include longer and more breaks in the spring.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:49 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
It’s just a calendar shift. I believe the state went to required “minutes” vs days in the past decade, but it still breaks down to 180ish average required days. They aren’t in school longer, per se.

Districts are just using their required days differently now. Most districts seem to take the entire week of Thanksgiving off whereas when I was growing up, the only days off were Thanksgiving & Friday and later on Wed - Fri. So that’s 2-3 days earlier most districts start.

Then, some districts start early & get out earlier. Frisco ISD starts today and last year school was out on May 17th which seemed exceptionally early to start summer break, IMO. In prior recent years, they started a little later but then the kids come back after Memorial Day in late May.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:57 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
Because they can't figure out what to do, and monkeying with the calendar is an easy thing to change.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:02 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
Whats even worse is them starting mid week or on a Thursday/Friday. Like come on. What does it hurt to start on a Monday morning? Why the rush or need to start a new school year before the last week of August and midweek or later?

Does it have to do with money funneling into the school district or this staar test which is the only thing that they seem to truly care about around here(but I will leave that alone)
If they start on a Thursday or Friday then they can get all the settling in out of the way and start fresh with learning on Monday.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:17 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,779,810 times
Adding to what others have written, I feel like Christmas break is getting longer too. I usually had school until the 23rd (which was always a half day). I remember years when Christmas was on a Tuesday and feeling excited that we'd be done on the 21st and it was two "free" days of vacation. Granted my kids are in private school so it's a little different, but they come back from Thanksgiving for 3 full calendar weeks and nothing more, regardless of how early that means Christmas break will begin. I still feel like most public schools around here are not going all the way until the 23rd.

As for starting on a Thursday, I can kind of see the logic there. The first day or two will mostly be things like learning names, figuring out your schedule, going over the course objectives/syllabus (in older years) or framing expectations (for younger kids). Better to get those things out of the way, and come back on a Monday ready to push forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: