Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,262 times

Advertisements

Hi Community!

Looking for some advice. Currenty live in Allen, in a 20yr old house (In pretty good conditions actually, with a pool, cul-de-sac, park behind me, very well located...)

Looking for a bigger and newer house as my family is growing. Recently learnt that Painted Tree (https://paintedtreetx.com/) started their development, which seems to be MASSIVE and VERY COOL with lots of ammenities. But sounds like (And forgive my ignorance, don't know much about schools here in the USA) McKinney ISD is "ok", specially the elementary (McClure, ranked as 644 in Texas per niche ==> https://www.niche.com/k12/lizzie-nel...ney-tx/)...for us, ISD is critical, more than the amenities.

Driving around, found out Dove Creek (https://centurionamerican.com/community/dove-creek/)

Doesn’t look as exciting as Painted Tree, but their elementary is highly rated (6 of 4,614 best public elementary school in TX): https://www.niche.com/k12/jim-spradley-el-frisco-tx/

Painted Tree definitely looks SUPER COOL, but their school rating (specially the elementary) and the lot sizes (50), is what makes me think twice…There's a Home model almost done, and house is indeed nice, but they compromised so much the living room…looks and feel very narrow…and my understanding is that most of the builders will come up with 50 size lots

I just don't know much about those school rankings...how valid they really are? I'm sure McKinney ISD is fantastic! Will it actually be a better choice to invest (and live) in Painted Tree or Dove Creek? I don't really want to go further north

Thanks

Last edited by danndp; 08-22-2022 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 11,484 times
If you want to stay in Mckinney with prosper schools.
check out wilmeth ridge community.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,081,251 times
I don't know about you, but I would be terrified to have 380 as the only access point to my house! Eek!

I'm not sure I would use niche.com as a source for your children's schools, nor would I look at a district that large as a whole. Their data is rather old anyway. I suspect the only real difference is the kids themselves and just the general area the school is in. However, I can't speak from experience as I don't have children and haven't been to McKinney schools in a quarter century.

Painted Tree is going to have a mix of lot sizes and will include rental communities as well. I did see the maps filed with the city, and they are quite packed. However, that's not going to get any better in Frisco.
https://paintedtreetx.com/homes-districts/

The state did release some school rankings if you go by that. Wylie came out ahead of Frisco and Prosper there, and you will probably have an easier time finding a newer and larger home there.

That's the opposite direction, so I guess it depends on what you want to be close to. That's where I would start.

Last edited by Leonard123; 08-22-2022 at 07:03 PM..

Old 08-23-2022, 07:35 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
It's not a "community", it's a subdivision.

And "Rental Communities" are apartment buildings.

I'm not clear how another cookie-cutter cow-pasture development would be "SUPER COOL". If you have school age children, don't want to pay for private schools, and don't mind living in a monoculture, it's probably a fine place to hang your hat.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:14 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It's amazing that builders have gotten people to refer to subdivisions as communities.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:20 AM

And I'll bet all the houses are board-on-batten siding, painted white, with black trim and grey interiors. Very exciting! Super cool!

Old 08-23-2022, 09:49 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,081,251 times
Quote:

I'm not clear how another cookie-cutter cow-pasture development would be "SUPER COOL". If you have school age children, don't want to pay for private schools, and don't mind living in a monoculture, it's probably a fine place to hang your hat.

They are detached one-story apartments (quite popular among developers now), but yes, its is a "subdivision" technically.

However, the OP wants something new with convenience, and it's slim pickings for anything "cool" or unique.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:05 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
It's amazing that builders have gotten people to refer to subdivisions as communities.
Because the literal definition of community is "a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common."

'Subdivision' is one of those silly sounding industry lingo things (the act of subdividing the land by the company or land surveyor) that has crept into common use. Like the fact that it used to be larger piece of land is relevant to anyone but the original owner. I bet everyone who insists on using is is really into 'slide decks', 'circling back', and using acronyms where they aren't needed.

Or maybe they like that Rush song, which is even worse.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:45 PM

I can assure you that "subdivision" predates "community" in this usage. In fact "subdivision" has a legal meaning, in that a subdivision is platted out of a "metes and bounds" parcel and thus is legally distinct from it. "Community" means something completely different and THAT is the term that the developers' marketeers have hijacked, thinking that it'll fool people into thinking there's something more there than a couple thousand cookie-cutter houses on former pastureland built for the absolute lowest possible cost.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,262 times
Quote:

Yep, I do have school age children, so thats why ISD is so important to us. What do you mean by "living in a monoculture"? Is that in regards to Dove Creek or Painted Tree?

I said SUPER COOL, because I was told this subdivision will have beautiful trails, pools, lakes, concert areas, even a food truck area, etc etc...not that I'm super interested in everything, but it definitely sounds like good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas