Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 PM

155 posts, read 371,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
There is very little or almost no chance of a tornado in Dallas. I think the last one actually in the city limits was in the 1950's.
TexasWeatherman asks you to try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 PM

68 posts, read 279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcp07 View Post
Good discussion. We are from Georgia but have been here in TX for 3 years. My anxiety about a possible tornado stems from the fact that planning and preparation for a potential tornado may not be enough to keep you alive. When there was a tornado or potential tornado in Georgia, we went into the basement. Going to an interior closet or bathtub I am afraid is not adequate protection from a tornado. These subset of storms have the potential to remove a house completely from its foundation. If you are above ground, that means you too. Being in a closet under the stairs will not help you. It's not the storms or potential torndados that worry me, it is the lack of adequate protection available in most homes built here in the DFW Metroplex.
I do so much agree with you! Aceplace thinks that chances are that it will never hit DFW. But there is no guarantee! When we lived in Texas we went through several tornado warnings...and several severe hail storms (one who damaged our roof completely) and flush floodings when we were stuck in our car (I feared for my and my family's life twice - it was the most horrible experiences ever!). Peope are not aware or ignore the life threatening situation like aceplace does! The locals just pray that when it comes...it will "go away" and not hit them!!! Yes it may not hit for 20 years...but when it hits you..you may end up paying with your life. I think it is good to be prepared! Where we lived...we had no shelter...as most TX people we were advised to take shelter in a bathtub or under a stair case....

We have now a basement.and a weather/alarm clock...... we live our life in full and do not worry... if that storm warning comes in....at least we know where to go and what do to! Aceplace...wish you good luck!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie View Post
I do so much agree with you! Aceplace thinks that chances are that it will never hit DFW. But there is no guarantee! When we lived in Texas we went through several tornado warnings...and several severe hail storms (one who damaged our roof completely) and flush floodings when we were stuck in our car (I feared for my and my family's life twice - it was the most horrible experiences ever!). Peope are not aware or ignore the life threatening situation like aceplace does! The locals just pray that when it comes...it will "go away" and not hit them!!! Yes it may not hit for 20 years...but when it hits you..you may end up paying with your life. I think it is good to be prepared! Where we lived...we had no shelter...as most TX people we were advised to take shelter in a bathtub or under a stair case....

We have now a basement.and a weather/alarm clock...... we live our life in full and do not worry... if that storm warning comes in....at least we know where to go and what do to! Aceplace...wish you good luck!
Easy way to avoid those "flush floods" actually called "flash floods"........... DO NOT DRIVE INTO ANY HIGH WATER!!! I've NEVER been stuck in high water in my life nor has anyone in my family. But then I'm the one that will stop & turn around while the moron behind me getting mad for me holding them up gets stuck and floods out when he/she tries to cross water I would not. Easy. Oh, and no I do not sit home if I MUST be somewhere when it occurs. My kids still have to get picked up from school. I just KNOW what roads near me (and most of Dallas County from just paying attention when they happen) that do tend to flood and will get closed due to high water. OH, and DO NOT GO AROUND THE BARRICADES like some morons do and flood out.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Funny thing............ take a look across the country at where most of the deadly tornadoes have taken place this year so far. How many in Texas? How many in Dallas County? Yet........... I don't see ANYONE over in the Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Iowa, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama,Tennessee, Florida, Virginia or even Wisconson (just about all where people have died from them THIS YEAR) boards that are looking to relocate to those places asking about tornadoes. Neither do I see scardy cats that are threatened by a dark cloud screaming and getting hoping mad that no one is bringing up the dangers of such in THOSE states where most have been occuring. Wonder why? I'd be MORE worried about a tornado if I lived in many of those OTHER states than I would be living in Dallas County. Sorry KewGee, you don't scare me. Nor does Rosie who tucked her tail and ran from this God forsaken place of Texas after living here for a few years.

As for those that REALLY want to know the truth. A tornado can happen ANYWHERE! As can an earthquake. Amazing, we even have those in Texas but you don't see people asking about them here as most people have a narrow minded way of thinking and believe they "all happen in California". Same goes for tornadoes, narrow minded thinkers believe all bad tornadoes happen here in Texas and in Dallas. You know......... gets me to thinking (bad thing I know )......... If these big, bad, scary tornadoes happened as much as some people would lead you to believe........... NONE OF US WOULD BE HERE INCLUDING THEM!

So yes, I DO have a "plan" IF and when I should EVER need to take shelter. This is for being at home of course. I have a nice raincoat I really like that has zippered pockets and happens to be BRIGHT ORANGE (someone joked one time so they could see me hanging from a tree, lol). I get that and if it gets REALLY BAD and we must take shelter I will have that jacket ON! In the pockets will be my house and car keys along w/ my drivers license, some cash, credit card & debit card and a really small flashlight. Never had to do this yet. Why those things?
1. Car keys: What if the roof blows off the house or a wall or something and things inside get blown around and my keys go flying who only knows where? If my car is driveable we have a mode of transportation.
2. House Keys: Same scenario as above but I have a way to lock and unlock the doors just in case all walls are up and windows not blown out but roof is gone.
3. Money, credit card, debit card: If we MUST find a place to stay (relatives are all here so go there if they are okay most likely for a night or two) BUT still even IF insurance will pay for a place to stay you still need a cc to check in with. I can still go to the store for items that we REALLY NEED and not have to bum money off of friends and family. AND, I don't have to hassle w/ canceling them if they do get blown away as they will be in my pocket. My family can get them out of the pockets once they get me down out of that tree
4. Flashlight: If it is night time when it happens we have a way to see what the heck is going on.
5. Drivers License: Basically for the same reasons I'd have a credit card and debit card. That and I don't have to hassle w/ getting a new one. PITA!
6. Now, if I really, really wanted to get all freaky I guess I could get our safe open and get out our passports and birth certificates. But that is pretty heavy and secured into place. Not because of a tornado but idiots that might think they can break in and get it and run. If I'm home they will be trying to outrun a bullet

How many times have I done this? ZERO!
How many times in my 42+ years of living in Dallas County have I had to seek shelter from a tornado? ZERO
How many of my relatives (grandparents, great-grandparents, aunt/uncles, cousins, second cousins/aunts/uncles, basically ANY family member) been effected, house destroyed or even hit, in one, witnessed a tornado, etc? ZERO! And you can take that all the way back to the 1800's.
Am I scared of them? Not so much that I have to live every waking day thinking I'm going to die in one. If it is my time, it is my time. Do I know and realize the destruction they can cause? Yes. Just like anything else that can cause danger like blow drying my hair in a bathtub..... you just use COMMON SENSE!
"God forsaken place"?? Yes, that really makes me run far away! You did not read my postings carefully! I mentioned there is no safe place!!! None in Texas or anywhere else!!!! But if you want to mention God! "For God's Sake" be at least prepared down there in Texas when it hits you!!!! By the way, we did not run away...just absolutely hated the weather down there!!!...and (which I won't mention here!!). At least, if you post in this forum be honest and open to the newcomers! It's not all sweet and sugar where you live!!! There is no perfect place - not even in TX! Amen.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Easy way to avoid those "flush floods" actually called "flash floods"........... DO NOT DRIVE INTO ANY HIGH WATER!!! I've NEVER been stuck in high water in my life nor has anyone in my family. But then I'm the one that will stop & turn around while the moron behind me getting mad for me holding them up gets stuck and floods out when he/she tries to cross water I would not. Easy. Oh, and no I do not sit home if I MUST be somewhere when it occurs. My kids still have to get picked up from school. I just KNOW what roads near me (and most of Dallas County from just paying attention when they happen) that do tend to flood and will get closed due to high water. OH, and DO NOT GO AROUND THE BARRICADES like some morons do and flood out.
I never drove in flash floods either!!! But drove when trees were flying past and falling in front of me!!! And we were stuck...... without warnings! Good for you - you are well aware..and just perfectly fit into TX

Old 05-28-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
"God forsaken place"?? Yes, that really makes me run far away! You did not read my postings carefully! I mentioned there is no safe place!!! None in Texas or anywhere else!!!! But if you want to mention God! "For God's Sake" be at least prepared down there in Texas when it hits you!!!! By the way, we did not run away...just absolutely hated the weather down there!!!...and (which I won't mention here!!). At least, if you post in this forum be honest and open to the newcomers! It's not all sweet and sugar where you live!!! There is no perfect place - not even in TX! Amen.
Oops. sorry I mentioned the "G" word to someone that did not like the religion down here. I'm prepared. Are you?

I AM being honest and open to newcomers. I've given MY PERSONAL experience in over 40 years plus that of my entire family for well over 100 in this area. Can't get much more honest and open than that.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM

669 posts, read 1,607,880 times
Quote:
Oops. sorry I mentioned the "G" word to someone that did not like the religion down here. I'm prepared. Are you?

I AM being honest and open to newcomers. I've given MY PERSONAL experience in over 40 years plus that of my entire family for well over 100 in this area. Can't get much more honest and open than that.
Having family that lived in TX all their lives... they get warnings all the time... never had anything happen. Just the same way we get flash floods warnings here in CA... besides the river overflowing in one part of the town... there really isn't much that hits population areas!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Prepared for what???? Being saved by the G word????
I wished I had talked to you before moving to TX and wasting 10 years there!!! I would never have moved there!!! Pack your bags, travel the world and look around and you will discover there is so more out there...big Texas is very small our there!!!! You seem to be one of those very-narrow minded TX persons Good Luck to you

Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,049,866 times
Quote:
I do so much agree with you! Aceplace thinks that chances are that it will never hit DFW.
Not really, Rosie, I'm just putting it into perspective as an extremely rare event, at least as a tornado strong enough and close enough to kill me. Being struck by lightning is a much more likely possibility for me than being killed by a Dallas tornado.

I save my caution and forethought for things that have a likely chance of harming me, such as being injured in traffic, or being a victim of identity theft. I don't have time to worry about things I know are unlikely, albeit dramatic.

Would you know how to calculate the chances of encountering a tornado strong enough to kill you? I don't mean just somewhere in Dallas county, but one just a few feet from where you're standing. It would be a number so small you could not visualize it.

Rosie, if you're sincere, then you are very, very fearful, in a situation that does not warrant it. Your considerations are not well founded and are not to be trusted. If you are not sincere, then you are speaking out of malice, and are not to be trusted...

Quote:
Thanks for your concern, but I've been in and around Dallas for 50 years and I'm still very much alive.

Last edited by aceplace; 05-28-2008 at 11:52 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Prepared for what???? Being saved by the G word????
I wished I had talked to you before moving to TX and wasting 10 years there!!! I would never have moved there!!! Pack your bags, travel the world and look around and you will discover there is so more out there...big Texas is very small our there!!!! You seem to be one of those very-narrow minded TX persons Good Luck to you
Hate to burst your so open minded self but I've VERY MUCH traveled the GREAT BIG world out there. Been around the globe to countries most people never have been. My own kids travel all over the world. Been all over the great big state of Texas as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas