Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you can afford to live here
Living here if you can afford it is a must 36 36.73%
It's good, but spend your hard earned money elsewhere in town to live 43 43.88%
No idea why it's so pricy to live there - nothing worth paying for 19 19.39%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Is it scenic or something to it? I mean, go a few miles in any other direction, housing becomes affordable for families.

Just curious if it's one of those exclusive areas that has been around for a while that doesn't have new people moving into.
Highland Park was planned by the same man who planned Beverly Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Highland Park was planned by the same man who planned Beverly Hills.
Having been through Bev hills hundreds of times... granted a nice area, but homes are actually more pricier in other parts of LA metro and OC. Does the man who planned it actually have something to do w/ the prices?

Weather is nice in Bev hills compared to eastern LA metro, you don't get the smog as bad, freeways arn't as jammed as other parts, no views though and again what major metro doesn't have it's nice community.

I'm thinking it's just a place w/ nice big homes? Again, other parts of LA/OC you pay more per sq/ft which in LA/OC is a better idea of bang for buck.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Having been through Bev hills hundreds of times... granted a nice area, but homes are actually more pricier in other parts of LA metro and OC. Does the man who planned it actually have something to do w/ the prices?

Weather is nice in Bev hills compared to eastern LA metro, you don't get the smog as bad, freeways arn't as jammed as other parts, no views though and again what major metro doesn't have it's nice community.

I'm thinking it's just a place w/ nice big homes? Again, other parts of LA/OC you pay more per sq/ft which in LA/OC is a better idea of bang for buck.
It's very well planned...lots of big trees, a creek (Turtle Creek) and a lake (Exall Lake) right in the middle of the area...lots of parks and fountains...big houses...old money...and the biggie (the reason why HP/UP is more expensive than, say, Lakewood)...it has its own school district.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
It's very well planned...lots of big trees, a creek (Turtle Creek) and a lake (Exall Lake) right in the middle of the area...lots of parks and fountains...big houses...old money...and the biggie (the reason why HP/UP is more expensive than, say, Lakewood)...it has its own school district.
you know the school district thing is probably the winner for that reason. Creeks, trees and lakes are pretty much all about the area, but getting your own school district.... it's just as good as any top notch private school. Great post.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,002 times
Quote:
I've seen statistics and articles in regards to these parts of town and noticed that they are about 4-5x pricier than other places in all of DFW! It's amazing that the median home goes from around 1 million to normal or average everywhere else?
The areas account for a relatively small population and area, which amazes me that a place this small holds a housing value 5x more than the rest of the metro...
So can people tell me what's the appeal? Who's living there? Old money? New money? Young/older crowd? Something that's there that's not in any other part of town (or too far to get to?)
And just a little poll to get things interesting....
It is a Wealthy/Exclusive area...that is why it is expensive

Old 03-19-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
It is a Wealthy/Exclusive area...that is why it is expensive
So, would you say that alot of those properties are so over priced to keep out new money? On a map, it doesn't seem anything more special that anywhere else in the metro. Close to the city center, but alot of the major companies are all around the metro, not Downtown.

There are alot of nice big houses all over DFW, just can't point my finger why this area is a boom and go 2 miles in either directions... it's all of a sudden affordable.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:30 AM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,002 times
Quote:
So, would you say that alot of those properties are so over priced to keep out new money? On a map, it doesn't seem anything more special that anywhere else in the metro. Close to the city center, but alot of the major companies are all around the metro, not Downtown.

There are alot of nice big houses all over DFW, just can't point my finger why this area is a boom and go 2 miles in either directions... it's all of a sudden affordable.
It is an exclusive area that carries a premium on its real estate. Keep out new money? What does that mean? If you have the means to purchase in the Park Cities, then I'm sure you'll be welcome. There are other high priced areas in Dallas (obviously the Park Cities are legally independent of Dallas). Preston Hollow and Lakewood also carry a major premium and don't have access to the HPISD like the Park Cities do.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:00 PM

136 posts, read 726,394 times
Dallas has an extreme amount of wealth and money and HP along with preston hollow is the most prestigious place with the nicest houses in the city of Dallas.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 PM

19 posts, read 46,875 times
Here is the funniest part I've found....go to www.maps.dallascityhall.com and put in all of the crime statistics and that is one of the HIGHEST crime areas in Dallas! Now since I don't live there yet, they may be heavily gated communities, but I don't care to get held up as I buy my gas or shop for food. The schools are tops, because the parents participate AND subsidize $$$ for what their school's don't have or get cut. I'm happy my son has one year to go and is an honor student, so he can make it wherever we move...to one of the suburbs, probably. He is college-bound, regardless!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxluvr View Post
Here is the funniest part I've found....go to www.maps.dallascityhall.com and put in all of the crime statistics and that is one of the HIGHEST crime areas in Dallas!
Say it with me...Highland Park/University Park are NOT in Dallas. They are two separate municipalities with their own city halls, police departments, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas