Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Texas: Dallas, buying a house, corporate recruiter, realtor, property taxes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 AM

28 posts, read 87,952 times

Advertisements

Did you say that your mortgage went up by $750.00 a month on a 190K home for taxes? We are considering a move there and I thought the taxes, although expensive would raise our house payment by around $300.00 a month. We want to purchase a home around that same price. The BIGGEST reason we want to move there is because of the home prices, however don't want to be in the same boat because I am paying that much in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jherbst View Post
Did you say that your mortgage went up by $750.00 a month on a 190K home for taxes? We are considering a move there and I thought the taxes, although expensive would raise our house payment by around $300.00 a month. We want to purchase a home around that same price. The BIGGEST reason we want to move there is because of the home prices, however don't want to be in the same boat because I am paying that much in taxes.
I took it they bought a more expensive home AND have a higher tax bill:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis17
...If you look at it strictly from a monthly mortgage payment perspective, the difference in mortgage and taxes between WA and here eats up about $8400 of that $13,000/yr raise I mentioned earlier....
Due to the lower cost of housing here, many folks move to Dallas and buy a home that is 2x the size of their previous home. Many folks from California move from a $500K, 1800 sq ft 3/2 that had $5K/year in taxes. They move into a 3300 sq ft home they paid $350K for, but have $8750/year in taxes - so the comparison isn't apples to apples. If someone moved from a higher real estate value area and bought a COMPARABLE home, they would have comparable taxes but a much lower mortgage bill. Generally, what I see with folks moving into Dallas is that they buy a larger home which still somewhat lowers their cost of living, but just as Taranis17 stated, they are increasing their quality of life.

I would suspect that Taranis could have bought a home comparable to their WA home and cut their mortgage bill tremendously. Instead, they made the decision to get more home. Taranis - correct me on this if I am wrong. If this is the case, what would be the incremental mortgage + tax bill if you were to move into a home comparable to your NEW place if you were to buy the same thing in WA?

Brian

Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 AM

21 posts, read 77,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I took it they bought a more expensive home AND have a higher tax bill:

Due to the lower cost of housing here, many folks move to Dallas and buy a home that is 2x the size of their previous home. Many folks from California move from a $500K, 1800 sq ft 3/2 that had $5K/year in taxes. They move into a 3300 sq ft home they paid $350K for, but have $8750/year in taxes - so the comparison isn't apples to apples. If someone moved from a higher real estate value area and bought a COMPARABLE home, they would have comparable taxes but a much lower mortgage bill. Generally, what I see with folks moving into Dallas is that they buy a larger home which still somewhat lowers their cost of living, but just as Taranis17 stated, they are increasing their quality of life.

I would suspect that Taranis could have bought a home comparable to their WA home and cut their mortgage bill tremendously. Instead, they made the decision to get more home. Taranis - correct me on this if I am wrong. If this is the case, what would be the incremental mortgage + tax bill if you were to move into a home comparable to your NEW place if you were to buy the same thing in WA?

Brian
You are correct.

Old house:

Manufactured home, built in '99, 1200 sq ft, 3 bed/2 ba
Taxes: $1700/yr

New house:
Stick-built, brick exterior, built in '99, 2512 sq ft, 3 bed/2 ba
Taxes: $5100/yr

Lot size on both are roughly the same.

We paid about $30,000 more for this house than we did for ours in WA two years ago. Now, consider that my house in WA was $168,000 when I bought it. A comparable home here would be about $120,000 .... maybe. I never looked for a manufactured home here because I will never[ own a manufactured home again. The washer on spin cycle shaking the whole house should answer any questions about why. And it was a nice house too, not a trashy place with paper thin walls like the older 80's style ones.

Housing here really is less expensive. BUT, if taxes were the same between the two states, our mortgage would be roughly $1400/mo. Not bad. Throw in taxes, and that bill goes up to about $1700 a month. Big difference in our budget. And again, we bought twice as much house.

Hope that helps.

Someone posted the Dallas county tax site here that was invaluable when we were looking for a house and calculating a mortgage payment:

DCAD: Find Property By Street Address

If you're going to be in Dallas county and looking to buy. I highly recommend you look up the taxes on that address, because they do vary.

Last edited by Taranis17; 06-01-2008 at 12:36 AM..

Old 06-01-2008, 12:12 AM

21 posts, read 77,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jherbst View Post
Sort of, but we bought twice as much house too; mustn't forget that. Our old mortgage was $1080/mo. This one will be $1700ish. If the tax rate were equal, it would've only gone up about $400.00. Big difference in our budget between $1400 and $1700 a month.

YMMV, however.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:22 AM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
Welcome to Texas! I loved your post! The best part is...once you are settled in you will have a great state to discover!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:06 AM

41 posts, read 249,614 times
Have to remember you don't pay state taxes. The property taxes make up for that. If you didn't have a homestead exemption your property tax would be a little higher than your state taxes. You will always be ahead in TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas