Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:15 AM

41 posts, read 214,146 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am an American currently living in Japan, but may relocate to Dallas soon. My wife is Japanese and currently does not really speak English. She is very concerned about the change and especially finding friends during the beginning.

I know there is a Saturday school system for kids, but we don't have any yet. Is there any more of a Japanese community than this?

I would also like to get involved in local Japanese-American affairs as much as possible as well. I would also like to donate my time to teaching Japanese to local people and maybe some other things as well.

Of course more for my wife, but I will also have a hard adjusting from a serious case of reverse culture shock. Would be nice to meet some people similar to me or Japanese who have been living in the US for some time.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 11:56 PM

Hello? Can anyone say anything to this thread?

Old 07-26-2007, 01:49 AM

26 posts, read 149,142 times
Thats funny, Im also an American living in Tokyo, married to a Japanese woman, coming back to Dallas pretty soon.

Well, there is not much of a Japanese community in Dallas. Thats just how it is. There are a lot of Asians in Texas, but they tend to be mostly Vietnamese and Chinese, then Korean, then somewhere down the list is Japanese. That said, Dallas has the most Japanese people of any area in Texas (I am pretty sure). Thats around five thousand people (including mixes). Probably due to some big Japanese companies being in town (for example NEC in Irving, Fujitsu in Richardson).

There is a Japanese school for Japanese kids in Carollton (a suburb on the northwestern side of Dallas) which it sounds like you found. There are some very small Japanese grocery and general stores in Dallas. You can get fresh sashimi grade fish at a little Japanese grocery store in Carollton called Seabose. Its at at the SW corner of Trinity Mills and Marsh. I think the fresh fish is flown in on Tuesdays and Fridays but I am not 100% sure. The last time I was there they also had Daikon, Natto, and other misc Japanese stuff like Ma-bo mix. There are two other Japanese grocery stores I know of, but they are both very small. The big general Asian grocery stores in the area will carry Japanese stuff too though, and there are a lot of Americanized-Japanese-sushi restaurants of course.

I am pretty sure there are some Japanese language schools in the area that you could work at. Or her. There are some language clubs I think, related to those schools too. Perhaps she could find friends there.

There is a Japanese festival in late summer in Richardson, but its not super huge or anything. Its something I suppose.

But, anyways, Texas will be a shock to your wife no matter how you cut it. There isn't much of a Japanese community here compared to the West coast, but even if there was, the US and particularly Texas can be a big shock. Things are big here, with wide open spaces, its usually quite sunny, uncrowded, and there are lots of friendly people. She will probably feel more than a little short, and be surprised at how fat some people are Having to drive is going to be new. She may also be suprised when strangers try to talk to her here. I have heard that is very startling for some people.

As for you, there will be a transition I suppose, but dont sweat it. Its the US, its *home*.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:47 AM

Thanks for the long post man.

Yeah, that is about what I figured it would be. Thanks for some of the details though. At any rate, even if small, I still want to be involved in it as much as I can. If this relocation works out, I will be working for a Japanese company that has a subsidiary in the US and seems my boss, coworkers, and clients will mostly be Japanese, so maybe I should just ask them if/when I get there!

Yeah, I have brought my wife with me to visit for a few weeks twice now. Of course she had all the expected shocks and stuff. The biggest thing she complained about was the lack of quality in the clothes. I never really thought about it before, but after she pointed it out, I felt the same way. Of course, as u know, u really pay for that quality here in Japan.

She basically liked it, but wouldn't want to live in the US permanently. I kinda feel the same, but as u say, home is home, so I might feel OK after a few months. But man, my reverse culture shock the few times I have returned to visit hit me really hard and heavy.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 45,924 times
Default There are definitely Japanese in the DFW area!

I realize this is long after the fact (post-wise), but I just stumbled across it and registered just so I could respond!
I'm sure - now that it's been since last July - that you've found out many things for yourself, but allow me to comment on several things anyway!
I've lived in the DFW area since 1976, and my mother since 1977; this is relevant because she's 100% Japanese, born-raised in Tokyo (I was born in Shinjuku, an Army brat). My mom has never liked it here in TX, mainly because unless you can drive or have a driver, you simply can't go anywhere and - unless you live in a metropolitan area - there's nothing significant to do, if you've lived in a bustling, transportation-efficient place like Japan. So I comprehend your wife's (and your) needs considerably, having taken care of my mom since my dad's death in 1994. Without my help and care, she couldn't negotiate ANYthing by herself, so I'm pleased to be able to assist her in keeping her routine life as rich as possible.
I know almost all of the Japanese restaurants within the Dallas area (a little less so in the Ft. Worth region), and many of the Asian food markets and their limitations and/or advantages regarding Japanese foods for sale. I've seen many of both come and go, change hands, begin as authentic Japanese-owned/operated then change to Chinese- or Korean-managed. Disappointing but a fact of life in a market alive with possibilities for "exciting" Asian/Japanese foods!
There's a Japanese association within the area, which has get-togethers, festivals, etc. - so no one can say that there's nothing much for Japanese to do; we see many gather for lunch at some of the more authentic Japanese restaurants, and some are even still Japanese-owned and/or operated.
I can't say about schooling or such since I've never personally had need to know, but the association could help with things like that. Outside of that, I would certainly be pleased to give aid in any way I could offer to you and your wife, even to the getting-together of my mother and your wife, if desired. (My mom's 77 next month, if it's a concern - of the "older" generation of Japanese and only 4'8"!) Please feel free to contact me if you'd like; I'm sure there would areas of mutual interest that I may be able to assist you with.
Thanks for allowing my opinion to be shared!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:56 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Japanese are present in DFW, in fact my best friend in the first grade was Japanese. In the Recent years many of them have been moving back to Japan. Which is really odd because the Japanese used to have a much stronger presence then they do now. Most of DFW's Asian population is Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese... Maybe if you count south Asians Indian and Pakistanis come in very strong too... Indians especially...Filipinos are also fairly strong... Japanese not so much:
Dallas Asian - About Us
i know for a fact that there is a typo on that site because other sites claim to have 5000(which they probably missed a '0') through 10,000. Cities with the most Japanese are probably Coppell and Plano...
Japanese are nowhere near as strong as the Korean or Chinese... They are very very strong. Some number the Korean population at around 80,000, and the Chinese around 110,000.
The Vietnamese population in Dallas county is the 9th highest in the US, with number 10 (which has been projected to have passed us now) being the adjacent county... so the DFW is strongly Vietnamese as well.
I would highly recommend Coppell as opposed to Plano a Plano is all Chinese, Indian, and Korean.
Richardson is all Chinese and Vietnamese
Garland is Vietnamese and Chinese
Carrollton is Vietnamese, Chinese, and Korean
Irving is all Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese
Arlington is Vietnamese and Chinese
COPPELL IS CHINESE, VIETNAMESE, KOREAN, and JAPANESE
Filipinos are mostly in Grand Prairie... but I think the only Japanese market might be in Plano, the most authentic Japanese restaurants can be found near or in Korean, Chinese, or Vietnamese enclaves.
The Koreans have 2 enclaves:
1)Harry Hines- the Biggest and most well known of all the enclaves. You can definitely find Japanese food in the district... most of it might be written Korean, and run by Koreans as well..
2)Irving- The smaller less known enclave, I don't recall there being a Japanese restaurant but I haven't gone in a LONG time
The Vietnamese have over 5 Enclaves.
1)The Largest one in my opinion is the one in Arlington, you can probably find Japaneses restaurants in this one but I don't know this area well.
2)In Garland..again I don't know
3)Irving- one of the most spread out enclaves(you can find Vietnamese stores and restaurants all throughout Irving), either that or the smallest enclave of the Vietnamese ones. It has 2 Japanese restaurants, the supermarket there has a good supply of Items not only from japan but Korea, China, Cambodia, Laos, The Philippines, Thailand, and Indonesia...This is where I go to supply my Asian grocery, as I am Chinese...or half, the other half Mexican.
4)Carrollton, one small supermarket, but lots of stores and surrounding restaurants.No Japanese I'm aware of, Korean Churches surround the area as well as Chinese stores.
5) Richardson..it has Japanese....
The Chinese have 2 Enclaves:
1) in Garland, there might be Japanese, I never go its to far...
2)Plano, there is Japanese but it is spread throughout the city

Dallas is home to one of the largest Laotian, Cambodian, Indian, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi population in the US, so they're a few of them running around... but the strongest Asian presence in Texas is: Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino, Thai, Japanese, Indian, and Pakistani. so the Japanese are present.... Japanese restaurants can be found throughout the metro.. whether they're authentic is different.
Houston has more Asians(primarily Chinese and Vietnamese), but I think less Japanese.

Last edited by CMDallas; 02-05-2008 at 03:05 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Ok, since you know most of the Japanese restaurants... and I absolutely love sushi - what's the best sushi in Dallas, and what's the best, inexpensive sushi in Dallas?

Brian

Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Ok, since you know most of the Japanese restaurants... and I absolutely love sushi - what's the best sushi in Dallas, and what's the best, inexpensive sushi in Dallas?

Brian
Have you tried Kyoto in Rowlett? They are on Hwy 66 just before the bridge to cross over into Rockwall. I don't eat sushi but they are supposed to be VERY GOOD! I know many people that go there for their sushi bar but I just do the hibachi thing. A friend this week told me about a place in Victory Park that serves sushi that was out of this world. She did say it was on the VERY expensive side though. There is another place now that is locally owned and we have one in Firewheel called Avocado. Supposed to be very good and according to their website they want to provide quality at a good and reasonable price.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:30 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
Sushi Kyoto across from SMU on Hillcrest is good. It might be of the same owners that momof mentioned.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:40 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Here's the link for the Kyoto in Rowlett. They have a really nice view of the lake, a pleasant dining experience. I agree, it's really good. Rockwall and Heath has a large number of Japanese that live there.

Kyoto Steak House
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas