Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 10:32 AM

87 posts, read 230,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Define low crime
My husband is a runner, so to me low crime really means he should come back home alive, given how easy it is to get a gun in TX. Also car breakins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 10:55 AM

15,547 posts, read 7,571,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj97 View Post
Thanks guys. the number 1 priority is low crime. We'd be flexible getting just a 1br instead of a 2 bedroom. Thanks!
Do you have any kids? If you do, most apartment owners will not let you have a 1 bedroom.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:59 AM

15,547 posts, read 7,571,500 times
Quote:
My husband is a runner, so to me low crime really means he should come back home alive, given how easy it is to get a gun in TX. Also car breakins.
If Dallas is anything like Houston, higher end apartments are the main targets of car break ins. I see posts all the time where 20 cars were broken into at nice apartments, in garages with entry barriers and, supposedly, security.

Guns may be easy to get legally in Texas, but legal gun owners don't commit very much crime at all. It's the regular criminals that you have to worry about, and they typically don't go to the store to buy firearms so are unaffected by laws.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Do you have any kids? If you do, most apartment owners will not let you have a 1 bedroom.
No kids. It's just going to be my husband. Me and the kid will visit once in a blue moon.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
That would open up a lot more possibilities in nicer buildings. Your budget works better for a 1 bedroom. Rent has gone up astronomically in Dallas in the last few years. Aside from car break-ins, random violent crime is pretty rare. A lot of the newer buildings have gated parking garages that don’t allow non-residents to park. People that aren’t in bad relationships and don’t get involved with gangs or the drug trade most likely won’t be crime victims. Lock your doors and don’t walk alone at night and you’ll be fine almost anywhere. The newer and nicer a building is, the better your neighbors will be. The more expensive apartments will screen out the riff raff. The big corporate properties require multiple forms of income verification and they’ve become more strict on renters earning 3x times their monthly rent.

My suggestion would be Knox (75204) or North Oak Lawn (75219).
Thanks for your help and everyone else as well!
We ended up getting an apartment in the 75204 zip code, on Ross Ave. Now we need to figure out the electricity situation!

Old 12-09-2022, 01:06 PM

625 posts, read 671,639 times
Quote:
Thanks for your help and everyone else as well!
We ended up getting an apartment in the 75204 zip code, on Ross Ave. Now we need to figure out the electricity situation!

Try Energy Ogre that shops around for the cheapest solution for you.

Old 12-09-2022, 01:09 PM

4,245 posts, read 6,926,083 times
Quote:
If Dallas is anything like Houston, higher end apartments are the main targets of car break ins. I see posts all the time where 20 cars were broken into at nice apartments, in garages with entry barriers and, supposedly, security.

Guns may be easy to get legally in Texas, but legal gun owners don't commit very much crime at all. It's the regular criminals that you have to worry about, and they typically don't go to the store to buy firearms so are unaffected by laws.
If we're being statistically accurate, it depends on how you view the numbers.

Depending on where you look, ~55% of gun deaths in the US are homicide and 3-5% of gun deaths are deemed accidental or undetermined or were at the hands of a police officer. Of this portion, almost all of these deaths are legal gun owners.

If you then take the remaining ~40% of gun-related deaths that are truly classified as homicides:

-75% are committed by a family member, intimate partner, or close acquaintance (coworker, friend, next door neighbor etc.)
-25% are committed by a stranger (including mass shootings).

Taking those numbers: Of all the gun-related deaths in a given year, only about 10% were homicide committed by a complete stranger. Of those deaths, <100% are committed with illegally purchased firearms. In general, you should statistically be less worried about a stranger with an illegal firearm randomly choosing you as a target in Texas than you are of pissing off the wrong neighbor/acquaintance who legally owns a gun.

And, while you can't draw the line to causation, states with higher gun ownership rates have had disproportionately higher rates of firearm homicides. Thus, being concerned about high gun ownership rate in Texas is a valid concern.

It's not something I think about daily or even regularly. I certainly don't live my life worried. But the idea that "it's only the criminals" to worry about is not very defensible. Everyone is a criminal AFTER they commit homicide

Old 12-09-2022, 04:36 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,398,085 times
Quote:
Runners are killed with machetes in Dallas.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/cl...ted-in/249159/

Old 12-09-2022, 04:39 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,398,085 times
Quote:
Dallas is a lot like Houston, but not in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas