Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 PM

16 posts, read 86,004 times

Advertisements

I'm considering purchasing a home in the Cedar Oaks neighborhood within Oak Cliff (Cedar Oaks is roughly bounded by Marsalis, Edgemont, Cedar Oaks, and 18th street just south of the Zoo)

Can anyone tell me more about this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:28 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
This might be helpful. City of Dallas Interactive Maps

Naima

Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,481,511 times
I've heard of area just south of the zoo that is getting hot among some. I'm meeting one of my Oak Cliff friends today...I'll see if I can remember to ask her about this area.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:18 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,579 times
I live in Beckley Club which is just north of Cedar Oaks and is essentially in the same neighborhood. I have been in here for about a month and love it so far. The trees, hills, windy roads, and one lane bridges are a very unique feature for the neighborhood. The architecture in the two neighborhoods is really incredible. Tudors, Austin Cottages, 40s bungalows, it is all really cute. I think Cedar Oaks is pushing for a neighborhood overlay and last I heard they had 75% approval on it. The neighbors are very friendly and everyone watches out for each other. It is also one of the most diverse neighborhoods I have ever lived in and I have lived all over Dallas. African American, Hispanic, White, Straight, Gay, young, empty nesters, a mix of just about everyone.

There are 4 light rail stops close by. The Zoo, 8th & Corinth, and Tyler/Vernon, and Hampton. 8th & Corinth and Hampton are the only ones with parking.

For grocery, there is a really nice Tom Thumb at Hampton and 12th street. (Now that it is summer you can stop at Aunt Stellas on Clarendon along the way for a Sno Cone)

Straight down Beckley is the Beckley Brewhouse which has great pub food. It is right next to Lake Cliff Park. Well that is just a brief intro. Are you new to Dallas, or would you be new to the Cliff?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Here are a couple of links about the overlay.

Dallas Progress: Congratulations to Cedar Oaks

Overlay zoning tool divides Dallas neighbors over property rights | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/031108dnmetoverlay.3bfb339.html - broken link)

Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
What do you all think about Oak Lawn - esp the area north of Cedar Springs Rd?

Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 PM

16 posts, read 86,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
...Are you new to Dallas, or would you be new to the Cliff?
Thanks for the info.!

I am relatively new to Dallas (about 2+ years), and would be new to Oak Cliff.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:38 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I need to take a drive thru Oak Cliff. Sounds like my old stomping grounds have taken a change for the better thru the years.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgerloff View Post
Thanks for the info.!

I am relatively new to Dallas (about 2+ years), and would be new to Oak Cliff.
Allow me to give a late welcome to Dallas. There are a ton of things starting to happen in Oak Cliff, especially North Oak Cliff. Here are a couple of other links that may interest you.

Dallas Urban Residential Development News: Oak Cliff Revitalization

Fort Worth Avenue Development Group

Old Oak Cliff Conservation League - The Neighborhoods of Oak Cliff (broken link)

Incap Unveils Full Scope of $2B Plan for Dallas

Old 05-28-2008, 03:08 PM

5 posts, read 20,369 times
Red face Oak Cliff-Check it out

You should check the crime stats for sure. Safety and home value is very "block by block" over there--some good some undesirable. Crime stats are public record and your realtor or local police officer should be able to direct you to the website for that information.

[mod]advertising is not allowed in the forums[/mod]

If you like urban Dallas neighborhoods, you should check out Parkdale. You can get more for your money, there is a Dart rail under construction, and the crime rates are lower than similar neighborhoods in Oak Cliff. There are Tudor homes, Austin Stone Ranches, bungalows and the area is heavily treed and pretty. Cross streets are Lawnview/Parkdale Lawnview/Wofford. You might want to check this area out too, before you buy.

Last edited by da jammer; 05-28-2008 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas