Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 10:03 PM

56 posts, read 47,403 times

Advertisements

Hello Texans!!! This post might be kind of long. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Short introduction: I'm a 40-year-old single black man from Southeastern Michigan. I currently reside in Southern California. I earned a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering back in May of 2006. My work history over the last decade or so involves manual labor.

Recently, I've been taking the initial steps of achieving an interest I've had for the last several years in studying a specific field (unrelated to my undergraduate major) on the graduate level. I've been researching various universities that offer masters' level programs in my desired field. On City-Data, I started threads in the Boise, ID forum for Boise State University and the Ohio forum for Youngstown State University, and I received EXCELLENT responses.

I had to cross off Boise State University from my list since, for some reason, the graduate program I was interested in placed an indefinite hold on admissions for new applicants, and I believe that hold might lead to the permanent elimination of that department. Based on the responses I received as well as research I conducted, I don't think Youngstown, OH will be a good fit for me.

I'm currently considering a university in the Washington, D.C. area ... where I lived back in 2007 when I was employed at a federal agency.

I discovered that several universities in Texas offer my desired graduate program: Texas Tech, Texas State University, and North Texas University. I had to cross off Texas State from my list since the university does not provide full tuition waivers to full time employees at that school (which is one of the few options I would have in being able to afford grad school.) Based on research, I'm not too sure if Lubbock would be a good fit for me, so Texas Tech might end up coming off my list as well. That leaves North Texas University in Denton, TX.

The curriculum for the graduate program I'm looking at is pretty good. From research, Denton seems like a pretty nice town. I prefer living in a mid-sized city over a major city, though, I don't mind being in relative proximity to a major city. I know that Denton is technically in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I noticed there's even a train that runs between Denton and the areas closer to Dallas.

I know a number of people have asked about the following, but I'll ask as well: Is the bug/spider situation in the Dallas area (and Texas in general) really THAT bad? I've known a number of native Texans. I've asked a few people who were either from Texas or lived in Texas for a while about the bug situation, and they either weren't aware of any significant bug problems, or they seemed a bit "confused" about the question itself (it was a pretty awkward question.)

I never lived in Texas, but I lived in Wichita, KS for over 2.5 years (I also spent time in Salina, KS and Kansas City, MO.) Wichita DOES have bugs and spiders as well. Would you say the bug/spider population in North Texas is significantly worse than the bug/spider population in Wichita and Southern Kansas overall?

I personally never saw or been bit by the following, but I know that the Brown Recluse spiders are very common in Wichita. I knew at least a few people who were bit by Brown Recluses. I don't think Wichita had a significant issue with cockroaches or Palmetto bugs, though I could be wrong (I never noticed them.) I heard that Kansas has scorpions, though I never saw them. Hec, I heard that Southern California has scorpions ... even in the coastal areas. I think Black Widow spiders are present in pretty much EVERY state (I actually saw one Black Widow in Southern California.)

Shute, in 2006, I actually lived in a Rowhouse in Philadelphia, PA that was INFESTED with roaches and mice, and I eventually got used to them.

From a lot of the comments I've read, it looks the mosquitoes are a HUGH issue in Texas. Actually, Mosquitoes are a HUGH issue in Michigan as well (in the Summertime). As a kid growing up in Michigan, my arms and legs would be covered with mosquito bites. I wonder if the mosquito situation in Texas is actually worse than the mosquito situation in the Upper Midwest.

I'm sure the tornado situation in the Dallas area is identical to the tornado situation in Wichita since Texas and Kansas are both located in Tornado alley. I think I was only in 2-3 tornado warnings in my 2.5 years in Wichita, and I never actually saw a twister. Though, the Wichita area was hit with a couple of F5 tornadoes back in the 90's (Andover and McConnell Airforce Base.) Hec, there were tornado warnings in Southeastern Michigan ... though, not as many as Kansas and Texas.

Anyway, I know this has been a long post. I appreciate your time and responses.

Later

Last edited by Jay Reese; 12-17-2022 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 07:04 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
I have lived in North Texas since 1978. Love the DFW area for many reasons and while we retired and moved to Nevada we still maintain a residence DFW. Why did we choose another state for retirement? Weather and bugs!

Spiders haven’t been a major issue, however once in 1991 my husband was bitten by a brown recluse spider and that wound up being an ER visit. The most prevalent bugs are mosquitos and “palmettos” ~ which are huge roaches that are commonly found outside in areas with trees. Mosquitos are a big problem. However the weather is so annoying. Humidity! So much rain (however we sure need rain in NV), and HAIL. I don’t believe we have gone a full five years without having to replace a roof on a house due to hail. And every car we have owned has had minor to severe hail damage. Its important to keep your car in covered parking as much as possible.

That said I love the tons of great things to do, the affordable housing (for a major metro), the great restaurants and grocery options, the diversity, the shopping, the great airport, all the many many events always going on. Beware, the traffic on the major freeways is horrendous.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I have lived in North Texas since 1978. Love the DFW area for many reasons and while we retired and moved to Nevada we still maintain a residence DFW. Why did we choose another state for retirement? Weather and bugs!

Spiders haven’t been a major issue, however once in 1991 my husband was bitten by a brown recluse spider and that wound up being an ER visit. The most prevalent bugs are mosquitos and “palmettos” ~ which are huge roaches that are commonly found outside in areas with trees. Mosquitos are a big problem. However the weather is so annoying. Humidity! So much rain (however we sure need rain in NV), and HAIL. I don’t believe we have gone a full five years without having to replace a roof on a house due to hail. And every car we have owned has had minor to severe hail damage. Its important to keep your car in covered parking as much as possible.

That said I love the tons of great things to do, the affordable housing (for a major metro), the great restaurants and grocery options, the diversity, the shopping, the great airport, all the many many events always going on. Beware, the traffic on the major freeways is horrendous.
I appreciate your response and insight, WorldKlas.

A lot of people have complained about those palmettos in Texas. I wasn't sure if some of those people were overexaggerating the problem, but apparently not. I heard those palmettos can grow up to 2 inches (that's BIG) ... and they have wings that allow them to fly. I also heard that it's VERY hard (darn near impossible) to prevent those palmettos from entering homes and buildings.

It looks like the mosquitoes in Texas might be more of an issue than the mosquitoes in the Midwest and Northeast.

Your description of the weather in the Dallas area doesn't surprise me given the weather in Kansas. I'd say the worst thunderstorms I've ever been in were in Kansas. The storms might be a notch worse in Texas.

I'm sure the weather in Nevada is definitely more desirable than the weather in Texas and the Southeast overall. I've never lived in Nevada, but I've been through Nevada several times on road trips. Of course, it gets VERY hot in Nevada in the Summertime (particularly, the Las Vegas area), but from what I've heard it also gets VERY hot in Texas ... but with MUCH more humidity.

Thank you very much for your valuable insight and assistance, WorldKlas. I really appreciate your time.

Old 12-18-2022, 09:07 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,085,566 times
It will depend somewhat on how much trees, grass, water, and urban development is around. Many parts of Denton have lots of thick tall trees. but I don't know if they are near the college campuses.

Where I live, chiggers are the biggest problem and the number one thing to watch out for. I'm surprised more people don't complain about them. I think they just recognize me and know me personally.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
It will depend somewhat on how much trees, grass, water, and urban development is around. Many parts of Denton have lots of thick tall trees. but I don't know if they are near the college campuses.

Where I live, chiggers are the biggest problem and the number one thing to watch out for. I'm surprised more people don't complain about them. I think they just recognize me and know me personally.
Interesting. It looks like Denton is sort of on the outskirts of the metropolitan area and, as you indicated, near a lot of vegetation and a large lake. That may not be good news as far as critters are concerned.

I didn't realize it, but apparently chiggers are an issue in much of the Eastern half of the U.S. I don't recall hearing much about them.

I actually feel kind of "bad" bringing up this topic. It's probably kind of weird for an adult male my age to be so concerned about insects. I know plenty of adults have expressed the same types of fears/phobias over certain critters and have had concerns over moving to a state like Texas due to its reputation regarding bugs/spiders/snakes, but it seems like I'm probably being a "coward" by allowing these small creatures to dictate where I choose to live. I don't know ...

I really appreciate your response, Leonard123.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:29 PM

537 posts, read 450,076 times
I have lived in Wichita, KS and many places in Texas. The bugs and spiders are about the same. I had a monthly pest control service there and I have a monthly pest control service here now. There are way more snakes in Texas than Kansas. We had small garden snakes in our yard in Wichita. That being said I have never seen a snake in my yard here, but have seen them in the park next to my subdivision.

Denton is a nice place. It is growing as is all of North Texas. The Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex will continue to grow up I-35 to the Oklahoma state line.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
I have lived in Wichita, KS and many places in Texas. The bugs and spiders are about the same. I had a monthly pest control service there and I have a monthly pest control service here now. There are way more snakes in Texas than Kansas. We had small garden snakes in our yard in Wichita. That being said I have never seen a snake in my yard here, but have seen them in the park next to my subdivision.

Denton is a nice place. It is growing as is all of North Texas. The Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex will continue to grow up I-35 to the Oklahoma state line.
Cool, cool. I've heard that there's LOTS of snakes in Texas. I never saw any snakes in Wichita, but I'm sure they were present. Hec, I even read that there's a few alligators in North Texas. It seems there's an "interesting" assortment of wildlife in the state of Texas.

It's cool to hear from someone who lived in Wichita. I think Wichita is a nice town. I moved from Wichita in early 2011 and haven't been there since, but I think it's a pretty nice place to live. The cost of living is pretty low. The overall pace is slower, which is great for people who have no interest in dealing with the "rat race." Wichita is NOT crowded at all, which makes it pretty easy to get around town. The people are very down-to-Earth. Wichita is a nice mid-sized town that seems to offer enough.

I heard that a lot of cities and metros are experiencing significant growth. As you said, the Dallas/Forth Worth area is growing. Historically, it seemed that Dallas and Houston were great cities to live in due to the lower cost-of-living and strong economies. I've read that Austin (which was already a relatively expensive city), San Antonio, and the communities along I-35 between those two cities are growing significantly as well. I did some research on San Marcos since I was looking at Texas State University.

Thank you widespreadfan for your response and insight.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:40 PM

537 posts, read 450,076 times
I have never seen an alligator in North Texas. I am pretty sure there are some.

Wichita is cheap and not much traffic. Otherwise I much prefer living in North Texas.

Old 12-20-2022, 04:47 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,052,555 times
Copper Heads are all over, along with cotton mouth snakes. Very common. They claim there are gators in all lakes but IDK. I can confirm they are in Ray Hubbard and Lavon. There have been a few news/helicopter shots of them in eagle mountain lake in FW. I have heard they are in lake Lewisville up in the northern swap lands.

Old 12-20-2022, 05:59 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Reese View Post
the bug/spider situation in the Dallas area

the Brown Recluse spiders are very common in Wichita.

cockroaches or Palmetto bugs,

Black Widow spiders

mosquitoes are a HUGH issue in Texas.

the tornado situation in the Dallas area

Later
Let's be clear. You're going to be a graduate student, living in an apartment, driving or riding your bike back and forth to class, to dinner, etc. You're not going to be living in a sod hut on the plains, or hiking through the desert.

You'll see bugs and spiders in your apartment to the extent that you and/or your neighbors keep things cleaned up, and depending on how regularly the apartment complex has exterminators.

Cockroaches - large and small - see above.

Black widow spiders - unless you're planning to spend a lot of time around stacks of pipes or lumber, sticking your hand into recesses before looking, don't give it another thought.

Brown recluses - unless you're planning to be renovating decks in poorly drained areas, or crawling around moist crawl spaces, don't give it another thought.

Mosquitoes - yep, pretty much everywhere east of the Rocky Mountains there are mosquitoes. Use DEET.

Tornadoes - well, DFW is an area roughly the size of the state of Connecticut and there's about one incident a year of a tornado touching down and doing some kind of damage. I've lived in Texas for 45 of my 60 years and I've never seen one.

Someone else pointed out rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins. It's an apartment complex and a university campus, for crying out loud. They have groundskeepers, who mow the grass, etc., etc. It's not three shacks in the backwoods somewhere. You'll most likely never see a snake of any type and if you do it's 99% it'll be a rat snake or garter snake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas