Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2023, 05:36 PM

31 posts, read 73,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple44 View Post
I don't think it's going to be frowned upon. It is a thing, especially for boys -- it has an official term "redshirting." The Atlantic had an article in October 2022: "REDSHIRT THE BOYS: Why boys should start school a year later than girls." After reading this article, you may feel if you don't redshirt your late spring/summer boy, you are not being a good parent.
Oh, I'm definitely aware (and generally support!) "redshirting", particularly in those younger boys. It seems so common and discussed in our social circle, I was a little surprised to read in your linked article that it's still pretty limited to a certain demographic.

But I was wondering if we applied for PK this year (and running with the assumption we do not gain admission this cycle) would we not raise eyebrows applying for PK the following year, if our child was midway through PK somewhere else? I know these schools support redshirting (primer and the like), but I just assumed you had to apply for your child's following grade, if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 10:23 AM

13 posts, read 37,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerGuy84 View Post
On a separate note, anyone have any feelings about Parish’s future with Dave Monaco’s departure? Curious of folks’ opinions.
I had the same question as we are applying there for next year and my husband and I really liked the school when I toured it. I know a few families with kids there that are optimistic about the future with the new head of school, but I guess only time will tell.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:38 AM

12 posts, read 22,162 times
Can anyone give more insight into financial aid, more than is shared in the brochures/informational sessions, particularly in its distribution across grades? We are solidly middle-income, and submitted financial aid applications, even through we know aid is not guaranteed at our income bracket we thought we should at least apply since we have two students. And if either/both got in, we'd try our best to make it work with whatever financial aid was offered.

However, I was chatting with a coworker who is from here and has older kids in one of the top Dallas privates and mentioned we were uncertain if we would qualify for financial aid and she seemed...concerned that our financial aid applications might affect our admissions chances because we are applying for Lower School (sons in PK & 1st). It was her impression that the schools that publicize those impressive financial aid award totals are primarily giving those awards to later entry point students (5th-12th) where there are more metrics to better determine academic fit, exceptional ability, etc. And at the lower grades it's mostly kids who while fully qualified, their parents can and do pay full freight.

I feel like we'd really be sticking our necks out at this point to directly ask one of the financial aid advisors to share the distribution of financial aid across grade levels. I know most schools say their admissions decisions are need-blind, but clearly we are somewhat skeptical. I understand they want to expedite enrollment by offering financial aid with acceptances, so they need it all upfront, but they do have all that info available.

Does anyone know if the top tier private schools admissions give equal consideration to lower school applicants who have submitted applications for financial aid?

Old 02-22-2023, 12:14 PM

38 posts, read 57,572 times
Only 2.5weeks to go until private school admissions are announced! This has been such a long wait and I'm dying to know. It would be great if he got into SM but I really just want to start making plans for next school year.

DISD announces their GT admissions on March 1st so hopefully he gets in there as its our back up school.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:36 PM

31 posts, read 73,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageParent View Post
Can anyone give more insight into financial aid, more than is shared in the brochures/informational sessions, particularly in its distribution across grades? We are solidly middle-income, and submitted financial aid applications, even through we know aid is not guaranteed at our income bracket we thought we should at least apply since we have two students. And if either/both got in, we'd try our best to make it work with whatever financial aid was offered.

However, I was chatting with a coworker who is from here and has older kids in one of the top Dallas privates and mentioned we were uncertain if we would qualify for financial aid and she seemed...concerned that our financial aid applications might affect our admissions chances because we are applying for Lower School (sons in PK & 1st). It was her impression that the schools that publicize those impressive financial aid award totals are primarily giving those awards to later entry point students (5th-12th) where there are more metrics to better determine academic fit, exceptional ability, etc. And at the lower grades it's mostly kids who while fully qualified, their parents can and do pay full freight.

I feel like we'd really be sticking our necks out at this point to directly ask one of the financial aid advisors to share the distribution of financial aid across grade levels. I know most schools say their admissions decisions are need-blind, but clearly we are somewhat skeptical. I understand they want to expedite enrollment by offering financial aid with acceptances, so they need it all upfront, but they do have all that info available.

Does anyone know if the top tier private schools admissions give equal consideration to lower school applicants who have submitted applications for financial aid?
I don't have any insider knowledge to share, but I did come across this on the ESD FAQ page: "Beginners through grade 12 are eligible to apply for need-based assistance. The majority of tuition assistance is awarded to students in grades 5 through 12."

I have no idea if that's true for all the schools. ESD does go out of their way to state that admissions decisions are need-blind, and even those whose circumstances might only allow for a small grant are encouraged to apply for tuition assistance.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:50 AM

13 posts, read 37,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstontodallas View Post
Only 2.5weeks to go until private school admissions are announced! This has been such a long wait and I'm dying to know. It would be great if he got into SM but I really just want to start making plans for next school year.

DISD announces their GT admissions on March 1st so hopefully he gets in there as its our back up school.
I know I am getting nervous! We applied to five schools with varying levels of acceptance rates but do not have any "sure thing", especially in light of all we kept hearing throughout this process of the "record breaking" number of applicants. Honestly will be happy if my child gets into at least one so there is a set plan for next year!

Old 02-23-2023, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 25,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatex222 View Post
I know I am getting nervous! We applied to five schools with varying levels of acceptance rates but do not have any "sure thing", especially in light of all we kept hearing throughout this process of the "record breaking" number of applicants. Honestly will be happy if my child gets into at least one so there is a set plan for next year!
So we heard that as well this year that schools were seeing a higher than average number of applicants. I've only applied to private schools for my children one other time (two years ago during COVID when there weren't a lot of in person meetings) but I am wondering if the schools always say this or if there are times when they say applications are down?

Old 02-23-2023, 02:04 PM

122 posts, read 173,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy6264 View Post
So we heard that as well this year that schools were seeing a higher than average number of applicants. I've only applied to private schools for my children one other time (two years ago during COVID when there weren't a lot of in person meetings) but I am wondering if the schools always say this or if there are times when they say applications are down?
I don't see how it applications can go down since DFW is growing so quickly and lots of young people moved and are moving to DFW, but the spots in the top private schools are not increasing, so just based on that fact, the applications will go up and up, and acceptance rate will go down.

Old 02-23-2023, 04:42 PM

38 posts, read 57,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy6264 View Post
When we were at SM they didn't say they had a record number applicants but said they had "a lot of applicants" . Which I think is pretty standard for these schools.

We are applying for 4th grade so not a ton of spots available but we were also told they also have fewer applicants those years so the roughly 15% admission rate holds true.

Old 02-23-2023, 04:53 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
I don't think tax payer money should be allowed to be used to help pay for private school tuition. Otherwise, the private schools become public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: