Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2023, 07:29 AM

9 posts, read 25,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple44 View Post
I don't see how it applications can go down since DFW is growing so quickly and lots of young people moved and are moving to DFW, but the spots in the top private schools are not increasing, so just based on that fact, the applications will go up and up, and acceptance rate will go down.
I was thinking this must be the case too. I wonder if there will be a push to open/start more private schools since demand is so high? I heard that at least one new private school is starting and one current one might be expanding but it seems like there is room for at least a few more given the growth in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 07:59 AM

625 posts, read 669,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstontodallas View Post
When we were at SM they didn't say they had a record number applicants but said they had "a lot of applicants" . Which I think is pretty standard for these schools.

We are applying for 4th grade so not a ton of spots available but we were also told they also have fewer applicants those years so the roughly 15% admission rate holds true.

What is your Plan B?

Old 02-24-2023, 11:44 AM

38 posts, read 57,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
What is your Plan B?
A DISD GT school is plan b.

Staying at Lakewood and reapplying for 5th is plan c. We love Lakewood so this really isn't a bad choice .

We know if we want a middle school admission to SM its worth applying more than one year. IF he doesn't get in after applying for 2 years than its not the school for him.

Old 02-24-2023, 01:55 PM

91 posts, read 128,992 times
Quote:
When we were at SM they didn't say they had a record number applicants but said they had "a lot of applicants" . Which I think is pretty standard for these schools.

We are applying for 4th grade so not a ton of spots available but we were also told they also have fewer applicants those years so the roughly 15% admission rate holds true.
I think 4th grade is actually one of the best times to apply for SM. They add an entire classroom in the 4th grade (which means 16-17 kids) and most families will leave their child at their public or other private schools through elementary.... Lamp lighter, which has a lot of students that end up at SM, ends at fourth, so their applications are usually for 5th. I think this puts your chances fairly high.

In non-growing years, applicants will be trying for just a few attrition spots. SM has set numbers that they'll take each year and they don't really deviate from this.
They add a few more for 5th (lots of applicants) and also for 9th (also lots of applicants).

So the combo of fewer applicants and a relatively large set number for growth probably makes the 4th grade the highest acceptance rate. Of course I don't have the exact numbers so this is just speculation but I wanted to offer you that encouragement!
Good luck!

FWIW, Enrollment this year (a fairly consistent standard)
32 first graders
34 2nd graders
36 3rd graders
50 4th graders

75 5th graders

Old 02-24-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
A DISD GT school is plan b.

Staying at Lakewood and reapplying for 5th is plan c. We love Lakewood so this really isn't a bad choice .

We know if we want a middle school admission to SM its worth applying more than one year. IF he doesn't get in after applying for 2 years than its not the school for him.

DISD doesn't have GT - so I assume you mean a TAG school. (I grew up in Houston and we called it GT, but its not used that way here). We are at a TAG school and I heard that we got 600 applications this year - - but thats for several grades. I think for the 88 spots in 4th grade - we have about 350 first choice applications. So, thats still higher odds than SM - but Lakewood is tougher since it has the most applicants to the TAG schools and they admit based upon zoned address. (So, the Woodrow feeder pattern is more competitive for admission than other feeder patterns).

Sounds like you've got some great options. Another one to throw in there is Cistercian since that starts in 5th grade for next year.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
DISD doesn't have GT - so I assume you mean a TAG school. (I grew up in Houston and we called it GT, but its not used that way here). We are at a TAG school and I heard that we got 600 applications this year - - but thats for several grades. I think for the 88 spots in 4th grade - we have about 350 first choice applications. So, thats still higher odds than SM - but Lakewood is tougher since it has the most applicants to the TAG schools and they admit based upon zoned address. (So, the Woodrow feeder pattern is more competitive for admission than other feeder patterns).

Sounds like you've got some great options. Another one to throw in there is Cistercian since that starts in 5th grade for next year.
Lots of options and I feel good about them all. The worst thing is the waiting!

I thought GT/TAG were 2 phrase for the same thing. At least at LW they call it GT.

We had considered Cistercian but we are not very religious and definitely not Catholic so I'm not sure that would be a fit. We have considered applying to Greenhill next year as well.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:43 PM

I really should just start a new account - we have lived in Dallas since we evacuated Harvey!

Old 02-25-2023, 12:06 PM

473 posts, read 1,569,276 times
[quote=texstout;64923228]DISD doesn't have GT - so I assume you mean a TAG school. (I grew up in Houston and we called it GT, but its not used that way here). We are at a TAG school and I heard that we got 600 applications this year - - but thats for several grades. I think for the 88 spots in 4th grade - we have about 350 first choice applications. So, thats still higher odds than SM - but Lakewood is tougher since it has the most applicants to the TAG schools and they admit based upon zoned address. (So, the Woodrow feeder pattern is more competitive for admission than other feeder patterns).

That is interesting if Sudie, Travis, or Pleasant Grove received 350 first choice applications. That would mean they would not even make it to the zoned admissions phase as the top 30% accepted would fill all 88 seats.

Old 02-25-2023, 04:24 PM

[quote=cityconvo;64926538]
Quote:

That is interesting if Sudie, Travis, or Pleasant Grove received 350 first choice applications. That would mean they would not even make it to the zoned admissions phase as the top 30% accepted would fill all 88 seats.

I always thought it was 30% of the 88 spots were based upon highest scores.
https://www.dallasisd.org/Page/56903

Selection Process

The number of seats available for each magnet program will be identified before the application process begins. Seats will be awarded based on the following formula:
  • 30% of the seats are awarded districtwide by rank-ordering of applicants based on overall criteria score without consideration of feeder pattern or sibling status
  • 70% of the seats are awarded within the comprehensive high school feeder patterns (adjusted proportionally for student population) by rank-ordering of applicants based on overall criteria score; subject to sibling rule or preference

Old 02-25-2023, 04:30 PM

473 posts, read 1,569,276 times
[quote=texstout;64927605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post

I always thought it was 30% of the 88 spots were based upon highest scores.
https://www.dallasisd.org/Page/56903

Selection Process

The number of seats available for each magnet program will be identified before the application process begins. Seats will be awarded based on the following formula:
  • 30% of the seats are awarded districtwide by rank-ordering of applicants based on overall criteria score without consideration of feeder pattern or sibling status
  • 70% of the seats are awarded within the comprehensive high school feeder patterns (adjusted proportionally for student population) by rank-ordering of applicants based on overall criteria score; subject to sibling rule or preference

Ah yes. That makes more sense. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: