Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 08:00 PM

258 posts, read 347,252 times

Advertisements

Kind people of DFW, perhaps my questions will be quite a cliche. Unfortunately, I find myself in the same kind of situations as everyone else.

We're a family of 4 with 2 kids in middle and elementary school, and both parents are permanently working from home. And we live in Chicagoland Northshore - which has very good schools and is very safe but is not very diverse. And the winters are depressing here. And we don't have family here.

We do have family in Frisco and that and the harsh Chicago weather and a desire to live in an community with diversity and more people of Indian origin is causing us to seriously think of moving to the DFW area, preferably near the Frisco area or in Frisco itself.

Would really appreciate any inputs in terms of which neighborhoods we can look at. Our main criteria are safety in neighborhood, school districts with good support for accelerated learners at the middle and high school level, good percentage of Indian origin people in the neighborhood, and somewhat reasonable house prices - not million dollar houses everywhere.

What would be some good neighborhoods and school districts to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 09:37 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Coppell school district has a very high concentration of Asian Indian families.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:16 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
What price range do you want to be in? That can make all the difference.
I would think, but I don't know, that Chicago would be as diverse as anywhere.
I guess that depends on your definitions of diversity.
Most of the better school districts here like Plano or Frisco or Coppell probably have kids that speak anywhere from 50-80 different languages at home. So to me if you have basically at least one kid from that many different countries that is pretty diverse. Now there might just be one kid from Ukraine, and one from Georgia and one from Maldives, and one from South Africa, and one from Malawi, so if diverse means you want 100 or 1000 from your country or that speak your language....not sure all that fits the bill.
There also seems to be a divide from what I hear between 1st gen vs 2nd/3rd generation people...so just because people look like you or have the same last name, doesn't always mean they want to interact with you or be your friend. I just hear that from different people because I work with people from all over the world. I haven't necessarily seen it or probably wouldn't even know what to look for....but might be something for you to consider.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,081,251 times
How big a house do you need? What is your budget?

The problem with Frisco is that the people from India primarily only gravitate to new construction housing, and the price gap between newer and older neighborhoods is astronomical and growing exponentially. So they will be in the million dollar neighborhoods. The city has a disproportionate share of million dollar homes and is well known for its ostentatious neighborhoods.

Many families from India are now moving to Celina where new construction is more abundant and marginally more affordable. I can't speak to the schools because I don't know anyone with kids there, but I assume they are strong to be attracting so many families looking for the same thing.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:14 AM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
Houses that were formerly $500-600k 8-10 years ago are all $1mil now... and that's after the last 6 month pullback in pricing. You can still find homes in that price range in Frisco however, but they will probably be 10+ years old. Since most housing stock in Chicago area is much older than that, it probably isn't an issue for you.

You didn't mention your budget, but in that price range, you'll find 3/2 homes at 2k sq ft up to 4/3 homes with 3k sq ft.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:40 AM

625 posts, read 666,066 times
Many Frisco neighborhoods have become known as having majority Indian populations - although I've also heard that many are mostly 1st Gen. (I have Indian friends who purposively did not want that - so not sure if that is important to you). Indian families have stereotypically been drawn to new build homes - which have vastly increased in price over the last couple of years.

But honestly, there will be significant number of Indian families at most North Dallas suburbs which all are very safe and all have good school systems. You'll want to narrow in on your price point.

I'm not a fan of Frisco in particular (very cookie cutter), but I do like the sound on their school system which focuses on smaller high schools compared to the huge ones in other nearby towns.

Old 01-07-2023, 02:26 PM

258 posts, read 347,252 times
All, many thanks for the replies and sorry for the late response. I could only catch up over the weekend. My budget is about $600k (could stretch it to $650k or possibly $700), and I am looking for a 4 bed (ideally plus a study), and 3 bath. I would love a big house - that's one of the main reasons to consider Dallas - especially since houses here tend to be in the 2000 sq ft range at my price point, and i would love to have extra room for the grandparents and kids.

A newer home would be awesome but I stay in an area in Chicagoland where all the houses are from the 1960s including mine so my definition of "newer" is a house that is not a fixer upper. A house built after 2000 is new to me

I would love to live in a neighborhood that has many Indians as i miss that right now. It is much harder to make friends, especially as they tend to be the parents of the friends of our kids.

Old 01-07-2023, 03:14 PM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
Here's the Gandhi memorial in Irving/Las Colinas.

https://mgmnt.org/index.html

There are lots of Indians in that area, especially around I-635.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-neighborhoods

The most diverse neighborhood in America is the ZIP code 75038. Located just east of the Dallas-Fort Worth airport, this zip code includes the neighborhoods of Broadmoor Hills and Song in Irving, Texas. That zip code is 26 percent Asian, 25 percent black, 23 percent Hispanic, and 23 percent white. The next-most diverse neighborhoods are Queens Village (11428) in the borough of Queens, New York, and San Francisco’s Treasure Island (94130).

Old 01-09-2023, 09:16 AM

559 posts, read 935,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
Kind people of DFW, perhaps my questions will be quite a cliche. Unfortunately, I find myself in the same kind of situations as everyone else.

We're a family of 4 with 2 kids in middle and elementary school, and both parents are permanently working from home. And we live in Chicagoland Northshore - which has very good schools and is very safe but is not very diverse. And the winters are depressing here. And we don't have family here.

We do have family in Frisco and that and the harsh Chicago weather and a desire to live in an community with diversity and more people of Indian origin is causing us to seriously think of moving to the DFW area, preferably near the Frisco area or in Frisco itself.

Would really appreciate any inputs in terms of which neighborhoods we can look at. Our main criteria are safety in neighborhood, school districts with good support for accelerated learners at the middle and high school level, good percentage of Indian origin people in the neighborhood, and somewhat reasonable house prices - not million dollar houses everywhere.

What would be some good neighborhoods and school districts to consider?
Dallas is not longer cheap. I know tons of family who moved from Chicago in the past decade. Home prices in Frisco are still high and will continue to remain high due to various reasons. What's your expectation in terms of $, sq ft, built year, direction (yes, lot of indian family believe in vastu hence asking).

Old 01-09-2023, 11:23 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
A newer home would be awesome but I stay in an area in Chicagoland where all the houses are from the 1960s including mine so my definition of "newer" is a house that is not a fixer upper. A house built after 2000 is new to me
Well, at least you are coming with realistic expectations. Oddly, most don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas