Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 11:00 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
It says those are by city and not by region, so it does not account for any surrounding cities. It's also a snapshot from one year and not necessarily reflective of a trend. I would be reluctant to draw conclusions from it.

Agriculture accounts for the largest share of water consumption in the state, but I don't think there is any in Dallas.
Pretty sure I read it was a 5-year average…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 06:54 AM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
I can’t speak for DFW as a whole, but The City of Dallas has its own lake for its water source. Lake Ray Hubbard is owned by The City of Dallas.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:05 AM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
I would say that comparing per capita use is not an apples to apples comparison in this situation. San Antonio for example, has a Hispanic majority and their communities tend to be a lot more multi-generational than Whites. So a given household in San Antonio most likely has more people in it than a north TX suburb. I would think that household water usage would be much higher here due to irrigation systems, and if you need 2-3 homes to equal the same number of people living in 1 home in SA, it would definitely outweigh the water usage when you factor in sprinkler systems, pools, etc, all double or triple from a per capita standpoint.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:52 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
I would say that comparing per capita use is not an apples to apples comparison in this situation. San Antonio for example, has a Hispanic majority and their communities tend to be a lot more multi-generational than Whites. So a given household in San Antonio most likely has more people in it than a north TX suburb. I would think that household water usage would be much higher here due to irrigation systems, and if you need 2-3 homes to equal the same number of people living in 1 home in SA, it would definitely outweigh the water usage when you factor in sprinkler systems, pools, etc, all double or triple from a per capita standpoint.

I think it mostly has to do with restrictions in cities like San Antonio and Austin that Dallas and surrounding suburbs don't implement, or don't enforce. We tried to sue Oklahoma to get their water rights rather than force metroplex residents to conserve water, but we lost.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:08 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Can't help but wonder if those numbers are reflective purely per person, or if industrial use is also mixed into that. DFW probably has more industry than Austin and San Antonio combined.

Old 02-11-2023, 12:44 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I think it mostly has to do with restrictions in cities like San Antonio and Austin that Dallas and surrounding suburbs don't implement, or don't enforce. We tried to sue Oklahoma to get their water rights rather than force metroplex residents to conserve water, but we lost.
The OK lawsuit was mostly about Lake Hugo overflow water.

A. Lake Hugo would not exist if not for Texas politicians.

B. The net, net, net is OK would rather Hugo spill water be wasted into The Red River than used by Texans as it flows out of Hugo.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:21 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
It says those are by city and not by region, so it does not account for any surrounding cities. It's also a snapshot from one year and not necessarily reflective of a trend. I would be reluctant to draw conclusions from it.

Agriculture accounts for the largest share of water consumption in the state, but I don't think there is any in Dallas.
The article says it's a metric that has been tracked for a long time, and that the state set a goal of bringing daily per capita usage down below 140 gallons a while back, which only DFW has been unable to meet. The implication being that this high level of water usage is pretty consistent.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
DFW heavily landscapes and may actually be a trendsetter when it comes to that. I feel like it is taken very seriously, especially northern Dallas County and CoCo. All that requires constant water. Just a theory tho.
I thought about this too - I think it's a factor for sure, combined with golf courses and industry - DFW generally has more of that going on than the other Texas metros, despite being drier than rest of them as well.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
I doubt that's a factor. Household sizes aren't that different across Texas metros.

Average household size by metro:

DFW: 2.7
Houston: 2.8
San Antonio: 2.8
Austin: 2.6

https://www.census-charts.com/Metrop...ouseholds.html

Old 02-11-2023, 05:05 PM

771 posts, read 932,411 times
What you posted is taken from the 2000 census though... a lot has changed in 23 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas