U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 PM

192 posts, read 296,756 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I hope to get some clarification as I am considering a last minute change of plan to relocate to Dallas/FtWorth. I currently teacher special education grades 6-8 in Florida and for the past few days have thought seriously about Texas. I am certified K-12 ESE with an ESOL endorsement, and I have a Masters Degree. I was reading previous posts about how many positions have been filled during recent job fairs. I would like to ask how to begin the process of applying for a license in Texas and how to begin seeking a secondary or high school teaching position. I would like to move by July 08. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/SIZE][/font]

Last edited by girlsunshine; 05-30-2008 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Font/sizing error
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 05:36 PM

362 posts, read 1,631,943 times
I can't be of help with the certification/license info, but wanted to share that Dallas is in Region X ( I believe)...there was another recent post about this... and Fort Worth is in region XI. You may want to start by googling for info there. Region XI has a hiring consortium. Not all school districts participate in the consortium but some do. Its website is: Education Service Center Region XI (http://www.esc11.net/escrxi/site/default.asp - broken link)

Good Luck

Old 05-30-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honu1 View Post
I can't be of help with the certification/license info, but wanted to share that Dallas is in Region X ( I believe)...there was another recent post about this... and Fort Worth is in region XI. You may want to start by googling for info there. Region XI has a hiring consortium. Not all school districts participate in the consortium but some do. Its website is: Education Service Center Region XI (http://www.esc11.net/escrxi/site/default.asp - broken link)

Good Luck
Thank you very much

Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 PM

1,488 posts, read 4,912,258 times
Real shortage of SPED teachers here (just like everywhere else, I guess)....you shouldn't have any trouble finding a job.

Please know that not all districts pay the same....and teachers are not unionized. There can be a great deal of difference in the pay scale between two districts in the same area. There is a base pay set by the state, then each district adds in what they can (or will). Salaries are based on number of years in the classroom.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Real shortage of SPED teachers here (just like everywhere else, I guess)....you shouldn't have any trouble finding a job.

Please know that not all districts pay the same....and teachers are not unionized. There can be a great deal of difference in the pay scale between two districts in the same area. There is a base pay set by the state, then each district adds in what they can (or will). Salaries are based on number of years in the classroom.
Hi,
Could you recommend a site that would chart the districts and their payscale, as a means for me to educate myself. I am trying to decide between here and NC, and any information I have would be most helpful.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsunshine View Post
Hi,
Could you recommend a site that would chart the districts and their payscale, as a means for me to educate myself. I am trying to decide between here and NC, and any information I have would be most helpful.
I don't know of any site that does this for you, although it would sure be a time saver for you if someone else knows of such a resource. I suspect you may have to comb through individual district sites for this. For example, the salary schedule for Denton ISD is here:
http://www.dentonisd.org/512727201502/lib/512727201502/2007-2008%20TEACHERS.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 PM

one more thing. keep in mind that in Denton you can get a 1800 sq ft house with nice sized yard for 160k or so (give or take a bit). I'm sure you're doing this already, but just in case....make sure you also factor in cost of living. For example, my friends in Cali who teach make tons more, but cost of living is tons more too. Depending upon where you are in FL, the COL may be pretty comparable to DFW.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 PM

5,176 posts, read 12,417,304 times
A special education teacher with a masters is like gold around here. As stated earlier I don't think one website is going to compare all the districts but you should have the pick of district you want.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 47,567 times
Default teaching in texas

i am just completing my first year of teaching, and have several friends in your field. i will e-mail more this weekend, but i will also send you some links to my district, dallas isd, and a couple of others.

feel free to e-mail me at grady1638@gmail.com and i will send you what i can after i get done moving apts tomorrow.
clay

and like they said, denton is a nice and growing area. if you are considering, just google, dallas, denton and someother suburbs. i am near downtown dallas and always have been, but if i was not here i would live in richardson and teach in their district or denton, krum isd near denton, and then there are newer growing suburbs like: coppell, southlake, grapevine, etc.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:46 PM

Thank you all very much for all of your help, it really makes it easier when one is trying to make a life changing decision. I will take a look at the websites, and Google around the web to see what I can find. I love the idea of the square footage and price of the homes; you certainly won't find that in Florida, though we can always hope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas