Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 10:36 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,093,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
Are you kidding? Allen can’t seem to approve new apartments fast enough. Between watters creek, the new Stacy green area and pretty much every stretch of Watters from Bethany to the HWY it’s massive apartments in Allen

Collin County and the metro area as a whole is being overrun with apartments. Rents are going down, and they'll probably be going down a lot more over the next few years with the huge glut of apartment construction underway. It's good to have some, and I'm no fan of country living or McMansion excesses, but it's long past time to stop. I thought it was just a problem for McKinney, but I see it's actually everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 08:26 AM

5,634 posts, read 4,956,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Collin County and the metro area as a whole is being overrun with apartments. Rents are going down, and they'll probably be going down a lot more over the next few years with the huge glut of apartment construction underway. It's good to have some, and I'm no fan of country living or McMansion excesses, but it's long past time to stop. I thought it was just a problem for McKinney, but I see it's actually everywhere.
Why is CityData so full of contemptuous suburbanites who think government (or somebody) has to limit housing for renters, and often for "entry-level" buyers as well, but having unlimited upscale for-sale housing is always A-OK (at least as long as it's not high-rise condos, because "tall is bad")?

Old 06-13-2023, 09:03 AM

674 posts, read 336,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Why is CityData so full of contemptuous suburbanites who think government (or somebody) has to limit housing for renters, and often for "entry-level" buyers as well, but having unlimited upscale for-sale housing is always A-OK (at least as long as it's not high-rise condos, because "tall is bad")?
Good question.

People automatically associate multifamily housing with run-down areas, crime, etc.

Over 10 years ago there was an article (I believe it was originally in The Atlantic) that described American suburbs as a giant Ponzi scheme. They made some excellent arguments.

I found some references to it here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/stro...uburbs-2011-10

Essentially the argument goes that the only way that suburbs can keep up with their infrastructure is to densify to increase tax revenue. The way suburbs choose to do that is building apartments.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
Good question.

People automatically associate multifamily housing with run-down areas, crime, etc.

Over 10 years ago there was an article (I believe it was originally in The Atlantic) that described American suburbs as a giant Ponzi scheme. They made some excellent arguments.

I found some references to it here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/stro...uburbs-2011-10

Essentially the argument goes that the only way that suburbs can keep up with their infrastructure is to densify to increase tax revenue. The way suburbs choose to do that is building apartments.
Suburbs also usually want retail and services in their community. The workers at those places are often not in a financial or practical position to buy a home there. So, is the message, "we want to you work here for us, but please don't live here"?

Similarly (maybe more so in the Houston forum), people tend to be biased against for-sale homes that are attainable for people who make middle class incomes (say up to $100K, or maybe up to $125K in Collin County). Especially if they're zoned to the same schools as homes that are higher-priced.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:48 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,117,012 times
Quote:
Suburbs also usually want retail and services in their community. The workers at those places are often not in a financial or practical position to buy a home there. So, is the message, "we want to you work here for us, but please don't live here"?
I think that is the message than many of the posters you refer to would like to send. Of course, the actual suburbs themselves, with a few exceptions, have generally followed the opposite path with extensive development of multi-family housing and retail and business development.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:26 PM

674 posts, read 336,959 times
Quote:

Similarly (maybe more so in the Houston forum), people tend to be biased against for-sale homes that are attainable for people who make middle class incomes (say up to $100K, or maybe up to $125K in Collin County). Especially if they're zoned to the same schools as homes that are higher-priced.
All good points.

Plano has approved a lot of multifamily housing and also has DART service. Some people think that it has made it "run down" but honestly it's still better than some suburbs of a similar vintage (FB, Garland, Mesquite, parts of Carrollton, etc).

Old 06-13-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
I think that is the message than many of the posters you refer to would like to send. Of course, the actual suburbs themselves, with a few exceptions, have generally followed the opposite path with extensive development of multi-family housing and retail and business development.
I'm certainly glad that's the case. And of course, a successful suburb will naturally densify and gentrify as land / location becomes more valuable; lot sizes shrink, more vertical construction becomes necessary to justify land purchase, vertical mixed-use becomes more viable, etc. etc. Large-lot SFD and one-story retail with generous surface parking becomes financially difficult to pencil out.

I don't want to promote the idea that new rental or multifamily housing is necessarily affordable to low / mod income renters, however. New large-scale apartments generally have to come in at or near the top of the market, otherwise the numbers don't work. So, you need ways to subsidize new rental apartment complex construction or less capital-intensive products like ADUs and "plexes" (duplex / triplex / quadplex etc.) if you're trying to be affordable for retail-type workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas