Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 01:43 PM

20 posts, read 18,328 times

Advertisements

We moved to a home in one of the neighborhoods with pier and beam foundations with significant crawl space under the home. We understand the home had a burst pipe during Uri, but no other issues. Any advice or anything special to do for the cold snap? In particular, I’m thinking about pipes and freezing, but all advice welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 03:02 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,051,062 times
I would think they need to be covered from Day 1

Old 01-11-2024, 03:31 PM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Be prepared for cold floors. Maybe with ice on them.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:23 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorDFW View Post
We moved to a home in one of the neighborhoods with pier and beam foundations with significant crawl space under the home. We understand the home had a burst pipe during Uri, but no other issues. Any advice or anything special to do for the cold snap? In particular, I’m thinking about pipes and freezing, but all advice welcome.
1. Resist the temptation to cover the ventilation openings around your foundation. If they are covered now fix that but probably after the freeze.

2. Your floors simply will not freeze unless your heat sources are off for 48-72 hours and it stays well below freezing the entire time and there is little sunshine.

3. Leave your thermostat set to the same as your normal day time temp throughout the freeze.

4. During the day flush every toilet every several hours and right before bed and at wake up.

5. Leave at least one inside cold tap and at least on inside hot tap each running as the smallest possible streams. A slow drip isn't enough. There is a mysterious factor........running a couple of hot and cold taps at a small stream rate significantly protects far away water dead ends like washing machines and what not. If your home is large - two or three water heaters run a hot and cold tap associated with each. If you have tankless don't worry as below about half gallon per minute flow rates the heat source will not activate.

6. Open every single vanity/cabinet/closet door that features a water outlet or water lines inside.

7. If you have a pot filler run it for 20 seconds 6-8X per day.

8. Outside spigots:
A. If installed in a wall with heat from inside the house - install a foam cover.
B. If installed in a wall without heat from inside, say a garage wall - 1. Run the water at a slow stream. 2. Rig up some way such that water from the spigot does not freeze upwards into the spigot (leave at least a foot of fall). 3. Divert the water away from your foundation. I have a spigot like this.......I run it at a slow stream into a 7 gallon bucket and I empty the bucket about every 4-6 hours.
C. Any old school spigots coming out of the ground and mounted low - cover insulation/old towels will work in a pinch and a 5 gallon bucket......when set low these types of spigots are easy to freeze proof (around here).

9. Cook a lot. Cooking generates a lot of heat.

Also look around outside if you have an irrigation back flow preventer report back and I'll tell you how to remove the important parts. Around here they are often under a stupid looking big fake rock. If your house is older you probably will not have one. My old house in Dallas built in the '60s didn't have one. My lake house (Texoma) built in 1979 does.

Excuse the typos no glasses. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,023,224 times
You’ll be fine. I’ve never had ice on my wood floors, even during Uri with no power for several days. I do leave a faucet dripping for hard freezes, in spite of what the authorities might say.

Stay warm

Old 01-11-2024, 05:22 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
You’ll be fine. I’ve never had ice on my wood floors, even during Uri with no power for several days. I do leave a faucet dripping for hard freezes, in spite of what the authorities might say.

Stay warm
Don’t you live in Houston?

Old 01-11-2024, 05:57 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Great advice from EDS above. Not much more to add other than make sure your sprinkler system is set to off if you have one.

I just covered my Palms and a few plants today. Make sure your pool freeze protection is working if you have a pool.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:26 PM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post

Stay warm
I had ice on a wood floor when I lived in Baytown. Not fun at all.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I had ice on a wood floor when I lived in Baytown. Not fun at all.
Oh my! And in Baytown! It must have been super cold!

Old 01-11-2024, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Don’t you live in Houston?
Yes I do. My house is on pier and beam, built in late 30s.

I will say during Uri I lost some inside orchids when the power went out. It was just too cold for this old house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas