Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 4,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
The only way to get there is via a rental car or ride share.
Not sure what you mean. The only way to get where? The observation deck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Why not just stay at the airport and go to the observation deck since you are turning around and leaving that night?
What a great idea! If I can walk there from the terminal (I'll have to figure out which one I'm flying into) then that suits me just fine. Thank you for the link!

Old 02-29-2024, 02:02 PM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycross View Post
What a great idea! If I can walk there from the terminal (I'll have to figure out which one I'm flying into) then that suits me just fine. Thank you for the link!

From what I can glean online, it's on airport turf, but not at the actual airport. It was put there for planespotters, and it looks like there is plenty of room around it as well. You'll probably have to take a taxi or Uber there, but it looks like a pretty cool place to watch an eclipse, and see some planes land and take off.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ing_Texas.html

Old 02-29-2024, 02:50 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,314,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycross View Post
Not sure what you mean. The only way to get where? The observation deck?
It's not an obvervation deck. It is a park on airport property but outside of the airport fence. The airport doesn't provide any transport there and walking would essentially involve freeway service roads without sidewalks. It's around a mile and a half as the crow flies from the closest terminal and at least a 3 mile walk.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:02 PM

Thank you for the explanation!

Old 02-29-2024, 03:37 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Why not just stay at the airport and go to the observation deck since you are turning around and leaving that night?
Founders Plaza is not an observation deck. It is a park in a field across the runways form the terminals. The OP would have to take an Uber to get there as there is no bus service andits much too far to walk.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,082,086 times
It's going to be a ZOO that weekend. Be prepared!

Old 02-29-2024, 10:47 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,329,500 times
I can't help you in Dallas but I can tell you that it will be a mess. People coming in from surrounding areas and around the world to see this once, or twice, in a lifetime event. The chance of clear skies in DFW is infinitely better than Indy.

We were in Boise, ID for the 2017 eclipse. Totality was about 60 miles away. It took almost 3 hours of crowded interstate driving to get 60 miles to a viewing site. After the eclipse was over, the drive back to our hotel (that we paid 4 times the room rate than it was the week before) took almost 6 hours.

Lots and lots of people flocked into ID (like us for the chance of better skies) and there will be major multiples of that in DFW because of easier access

The poster above who said stay at the airport (observation deck, parking lot) was spot on. Or plan, on missing your return flight.

It will be worth it

We will be driving to Indianapolis which will be directly in the path of totality and staying with friends who have an incredibly large lakefront yard. I just hope that Indy does not have an April cloudy day. Unfortunately, because of uncancelable appointments, we can't go out west

Old 03-01-2024, 08:36 AM

95 posts, read 69,562 times
Founders Plaza is not worth it unless you are into plane spotting and it only gets you good views of a couple runways. Skip it.
you can't walk there safely so would have to take an uber/lyft.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:57 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,743,369 times
Which airport are you flying into?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas