Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 12:50 PM

4,236 posts, read 6,919,715 times

Advertisements

Depending on which thread you read the 'invasion' is driven by different groups (though the word invasion is commonly used for all of them):

Everyone is moving here is from India
Everyone is moving here from California
Everyone is moving here from NY
Everyone is illegally immigrating here from Mexico

What is the value in baselessly trying to make someone the enemy in these scenarios?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,060,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
Depending on which thread you read the 'invasion' is driven by different groups (though the word invasion is commonly used for all of them):

What is the value in baselessly trying to make someone the enemy in these scenarios?
I would add Everyone is moving here from Pakastian. I live on the border of Richardson, Plano, Garland. This area is filled with the female who's head is wrapped in a towel. They are everywhere all within the last 2-3 yrs. Everywhere

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

4,564 posts, read 2,710,885 times
Different areas of town are attracting different groups. But yes, overall it IS an invasion. The 1980s Ohio/Michigan invasion was small potatoes compared to this.

Housing prices are nuts, you can't even buy a small house in a decent neighborhood because the builders get them all, bidding wars everywhere, everything's overcrowded. In the last 20 years medical services have gone from great doctors being available and easy to access to the Northeastern thing where most "aren't accepting new patients" and there can be a month or more wait to get an appointment if it's not for something critical and life threatening. Constant sirens, boom cars, and helicopters hovering overhead. Rush hour starts at 4 am and runs till 8 pm. I am fortunate not to have to deal with a daily commute. I just can't imagine having to drive from an exurb into town every day.

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
I would add Everyone is moving here from Pakastian. I live on the border of Richardson, Plano, Garland. This area is filled with the female who's head is wrapped in a towel. They are everywhere all within the last 2-3 yrs. Everywhere
I think you missed the point of my post by perpetuating this.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

228 posts, read 119,488 times
Quote:

Quote:
I think you missed the point of my post by perpetuating this.

Nobody is 'baselessly trying to make someone the enemy.'

Illegal immigration is a very serious, dangerous, and costly problem we're all now facing, thanks largely to Democrats and 'progressives'. It's been extremely detrimental. Minimizing it or using a strawman to divert focus on the problem is irresponsible and un-American.

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartM1 View Post
Nobody is 'baselessly trying to make someone the enemy.'

Illegal immigration is a very serious, dangerous, and costly problem we're all now facing, thanks largely to Democrats and 'progressives'. It's been extremely detrimental. Minimizing it or using a strawman to divert focus on the problem is irresponsible and un-American.
Where is the straw man that I have erected? Where did I say illegal immigration was not a concern? I listed illegal immigrants as one of many groups that I see blamed for everything here.

In response, I'd like to point out that your post is a textbook example of a straw man in regard to my post:

You took a post where I simply stated that it is not productive for anyone to demonize entire categories of people in response to local political or socioeconomical challenges and instead said I said minimizing illegal immigration and un-American. That's quite the exaggerated leap.

When you say 'no one is baselessly trying to make someone the enemy', have you read the same threads on CD (not just Dallas subforum) as I have?

House pricing is only going up because of Californians moving here! House pricing is only going up because of New Yorkers moving here! House pricing is only going up because of (legal) immigration from India!

These are exaggerations that exist explicitly as posts on CD. So it's certainly not 'nobody' making these claims.

And when people then go so far as to say we are being "invaded" (especially when referring to LEGAL moves (such as other Americans moving from state to state or legal immigration), which is the majority of population increase in the DFW area), wishing people would 'go home'. Then absolutely that is making someone an enemy.

When you see someone with their 'head wrapped in a towel', assume they are Pakistani, and say they are 'everywhere' now. When people complain about hearing Spanish more frequently (even when the spanish speakers are legal citizens!) and complain about being 'invaded'.

To me these are clear examples of assigning negative qualities to the simple presence of people that are different than themselves.

Democrat/Republican/Libertarian/whatever you are - these should be troubling ways of seeing people speak about other humans. Especially when it then turns to assigning primary blame for negative localized conditions to these groups of people.

Last edited by Sunbather; Yesterday at 02:51 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 2 days ago)

8,369 posts, read 5,532,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
What makes you think they are specifically from Pakistan?

Old Today, 06:44 AM

2,514 posts, read 2,222,074 times
There are Hispanic families whom have been in Texas way longer than my 4 generation Texas family has been here. You can't always tell where someone is from when looking at them. My orthodontist had very fair skin, blue eyes, and curly blonde hair. He looked like the 6th Doctor from Doctor Who. He was from Mexico. My kids are biracial. My husband is from India and almost all of my ancestors came from England. People have guessed that they are Middle Eastern or Latino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas