Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 11:14 PM

10 posts, read 4,526 times

Advertisements

Hello, I tried to search the forum threads and was unable to find any previous posts about the total eclipse April 8, 2024. I will be flying into DFW from Phoenix very early that morning for a day trip just to see the eclipse.

I will be on foot. Will a DART bus be able to get me to any parks with seating and nearby restaurants? I plan to experience the eclipse and then take a late afternoon flight back to Phoenix.

I don't know anything about Dallas or the surrounding areas near the airport. Just would like a place to watch the eclipse and maybe get a bite to eat. My husband passed away in 2015. We had planned to see the eclipse in 2017 but I didn't have the heart to go by myself. This is the last total eclipse in the US for another 20+ years so I'm going! Any suggestions would be so welcome!

Thank you, Cindy Ross
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 07:25 AM

95 posts, read 69,486 times
The dallas fort worth area is massive. if you are trying to only take public transport (DART) you are limited to the Dallas side and surrounding cities

you can take the DART orange rail line from DFW airport into downtown dallas. from there you can transfer just about anywhere you want in Dallas.

Irving convention center station (lookup Las Colinas) has a few restaurants and open enough to not have towers in the line of sight. manmade canals and ponds you can walk around. definitely more of a developed area than a park,

Go to the east side of Dallas and you can get into White Rock Lake Park and the Dallas Arboretum which are great attractions. Just looked and arboretum appears sold out for that day.

enough restaurant choices nearby if you go north to Casa Linda

could try addison circle park. tons of restaurants surrounding that area.

good luck

Old 02-29-2024, 07:49 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,303 times
Seems like the easiest thing would be to take DART downtown to Klyde Warren Park, which will be mobbed but probably pretty fun.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:35 AM

473 posts, read 1,568,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
Seems like the easiest thing would be to take DART downtown to Klyde Warren Park, which will be mobbed but probably pretty fun.
I second this. It should be amazing but insanely crowded. Sticking with DART vs renting a car or taking Uber is wise too as traffic will be considerably worse than normal. Seriously, the roads will be a nightmare that day.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:28 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I agree that Las Colinas would be a good location. The Irving Convention Center or Urban Center stations off the DART Orange Line will both be within walking distance of a bunch of restaurants and there is plenty of unobstructed sky.

We will all be hoping for clear skies that day!!!

Old 02-29-2024, 09:40 AM

Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I think I will head for Las Colinas and hope for clear skies and crowds that are not too insane.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:16 PM

674 posts, read 333,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycross View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I think I will head for Las Colinas and hope for clear skies and crowds that are not too insane.
I don't know the Las Colinas area well but your story touched me; I'm sorry about your husband.

I hope you have a good time here in our city and that we have great clear weather for the eclipse!

Old 02-29-2024, 12:22 PM

Dear ilovepizza1975,
Thank you for your compassionate response, and for the good wishes. ♥

Last edited by indycross; 02-29-2024 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: to clarify who the message is for

Old 02-29-2024, 12:39 PM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycross View Post
I will be flying into DFW from Phoenix very early that morning for a day trip just to see the eclipse.

Why not just stay at the airport and go to the observation deck since you are turning around and leaving that night?

Old 02-29-2024, 01:17 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,313,821 times
The only way to get there is via a rental car or ride share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas