Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 01:53 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,127,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_CHI_ELSEWHERE View Post
Wonder how that would work with the high school setup. I know they recently redrew the district map to include Hillcrest in District 11. In general, however, would a new ISD need to be created? There are no public schools serving "North of 635 but part of Dallas." Richardson ISD and Carrolton ISD are the closest.

There are a also a lot of problem spots in the small section of Dallas north of 635 so it would not be as simple as you think. The area surrounding the now defunct Valley View Mall is not exactly Shangri-La.
This is obviously a pie in the sky idea from the OP, but even if it did happen it would have no impact on the ISD boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 02:42 PM

11 posts, read 3,261 times
I only ask because we have HPISD, Richardson ISD, and Carrolton-Farmers Branch ISD surrounding districts 11 and 12. If the goal is to not send tax dollars south of 635 then that is a big issue.

In the case of St. George and Baton Rogue, much of the controversy is over how the Baton Rogue school district stands to lose a quarter of its annual budget due to that community setting up its own, newer ISD.

But I do concur that that is all just conjecture in this case. It certainly is not over in Lakewood where the push for a seperate White Rock ISD keeps on to this day.

Old 05-07-2024, 02:53 PM

5,269 posts, read 6,439,372 times
Quote:
I only ask because we have HPISD, Richardson ISD, and Carrolton-Farmers Branch ISD surrounding districts 11 and 12. If the goal is to not send tax dollars south of 635 then that is a big issue.
The ISDs are independent of the city borders, so de-annexing from Dallas might be possible, but deannexing from the various ISDs is almost impossible -requires a 2/3 voting change and a district willing to take the orphaned territory in or massive funding to set up a new district.

Old Today, 08:41 AM

333 posts, read 1,390,421 times
Great points below. I also live in the area (also think Jaynie is a terrible rep), but this is the best case development we are going to see in the next decade. Work adjacent to commercial real estate and development. No retail development is going to happen for the backside of Pepper Square. We are very lucky that it is owned by Henry S. Miller, otherwise would already be full of laundromat / check cashing stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Very familiar with the area. I will say that people do drive like a bat out of hell on Preston Road. Hated driving there, because how the road is conducive to high speeding. Felt like people were literally driving freeway speeds. Honest question, what retailers do y’all expect to fill the vacant Stein Mart anchor space? Department stores are dying, there’s already a TJMaxx (discount retailer) in the area. There’s a shopping center across the street with Tom Thumb as the anchor. The other retailers that comes to mind is already in the area, down the street on Belt Line at Prestonwood Town Center.

They demolished a good portion of Hillcrest Village. The retail space there is significantly less. Even the former Albertsons that anchored the shopping center closed too some years back. I believe it’s being redeveloped now.

I often wonder…why do people live in a major city, if they don’t want people living close or next to them? That’s what the suburbs are for. Especially, areas that aren’t currently zoned single family on commercial corridors. Y’all can do what y’all want. This is y’all’s neighborhood, but it just doesn’t make any sense to me. I think it’ll be different if y’all said, we don’t want apartments, but we do want townhomes that people can purchase with some retail. That way y’all have permanent residents and not renters, which some people have a problem with.

The backside of the shopping center is empty. Far North Dallas doesn’t have a problem attracting retail, but online shopping is changing the way people shop. Even the same area has a noticeable increase in vacant bank branches too.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qeJPtnL5S12oyYmr8?g_st=ic
https://maps.app.goo.gl/i6gogWYjyWYSBv81A?g_st=ic

The front looks better facing Preston, where Hobby Lobby and Trader Joe’s is located.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Q8uvSscGp5iA5uMj8?g_st=ic
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FvjHPD5PUAFm3PZ69?g_st=ic

It’s not just that part of Preston and Belt Line with dying shopping centers, Preston and Campbell too.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MG2z1HDZwWyxsf8KA?g_st=ic

This is more or less what the developer at Pepper Square is trying to do.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=C0-djI19-gM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas